Oasis November 15 -- A Little Late, I Hope it was Worth the Wait!

Cindy

I had some lofty ideas about writing a L-O-N-G detailed Oasis review, but two weeks after we got home I’ve finally come to the realization it just isn’t going to happen. I keep putting it on the back burner, and so in the interests of posting my review before our next cruise in March, I’m going with the Reader’s Digest condensed version! Warning…my idea of a condensed version is STILL over 8 pages in Word, so if you don’t like long reviews with lots of pictures, this probably isn’t the thread for you.;)

We thought we’d NEVER take a cruise on the Oasis or the Allure. Yes, we were those people who were horrified by the size, the passenger load, and the whole concept. I mean seriously, who ever thought it would be a good idea to put a park and a boardwalk on a ship? Surely it would flop! Well, a funny thing happened starting in 2011…I saw one of the “big girls” for the first time and I was intrigued. I was on the Carnival Conquest at the time, and I developed a serious case of ship envy.:o At that point I conceded that maybe I was wrong and the Oasis looked interesting enough for me to take a tour, but not a cruise.

The intrigued feeling didn’t go away, and after that first meeting it seemed like I ran into Oasis or Allure taunting me every time I was on a cruise.:p I found myself taking endless pictures of a ship that I wasn’t on, and wondering what secrets could be hiding inside. I actually even peeked at prices a couple times, but I kept getting sticker shock so even though I was tempted, I never booked. We finally broke down in April when we were on the Navigator and asked the LA what she could find either right before or right after Thanksgiving, and she came back with an incredible Texas resident discount, so five years after we said never, we said here’s our money!:D

To make a long story short (or not, because I really don’t know how to make a story short), the cruise we ended up taking looked nothing like what we originally booked on-board the Navigator, but we did cruise on the Oasis! I love the research and planning, obsess over details, and think the pre-cruise is almost as much fun as the event itself. Therefore, we changed sailing dates, decks, cabin categories (numerous times!), and kept tweaking all the other stuff like on-board reservations. It was worth it. We had a great cruise and were very happy with all our choices. The only bad thing about all the changes is I’m pretty sure the agents in the Crown and Anchor office now draw straws to see who has to take my calls!:rolleyes:

Here are the details –

Friday, November 14: We flew to Ft. Lauderdale non-stop on United’s early morning flight because it was the only one I could find that didn’t completely break the bank! The weather in Ft. Lauderdale was beautiful, and we were at our hotel (Hyatt Regency Pier 66) by 11:30.

IMG_7903W-L.jpg

Our Hotel

Since that was long before rooms were ready, we had a delicious lunch at Pelican’s Landing, then walked over to the water taxi to meet up with people from our roll call.

IMG_7889W-L.jpg

Pelican's Landing Restaurant

IMG_7886W-L.jpg

Boats Docked by the Restaurant

IMG_7891W-L.jpg

Our View at Lunch

IMG_7908W-L.jpg

Crossing the Bridge to the Water Taxi Stop by the Hilton

IMG_7921W-L.jpg

The Water Taxi -- A Fun Way to See Ft. Lauderdale!

We had a wonderful time, and enjoyed the ride, drinks at Chart House, and later dinner and more drinks at Bimini Boatyard.

IMG_7943W-L.jpg

On the Water Taxi

IMG_7960W-L.jpg

Chart House

IMG_7981W-L.jpg

On the Water Taxi

IMG_7991W-L.jpg

Bimini Boatyard

IMG_7994W-L.jpg

Bimini Boatyard

We walked back to the Hyatt around 10:00 and finally were able to get in our room. Whew…long day!

IMG_7997.W-L.jpg

Hyatt from the Bridge

Doesn't the Hyatt have its own water taxi stop? They did when we were there but that was back in 2007.

It closed several months ago for construction, and it was supposed to reopen in mid October, but it's still closed.:(

It closed several months ago for construction, and it was supposed to reopen in mid October, but it's still closed.:(

Ahh, I see! That's good to know. We are staying at the Hyatt for one night after our cruise in January so hopefully it's open by then. If not we'll just take a walk like you did!

I had chosen the Hyatt for one reason…the view of ships arriving in the morning. The reviews made me a little nervous, but since I wanted to take pictures safely (the last time we were in Ft. Lauderdale for a cruise I was down under the bridge with the homeless guys at 5:30 am!) I forged ahead. I requested a high tower room facing the port -- what I got was perfect, and the room was spacious and comfortable. I didn’t sleep well (I never do the night before a cruise) and jumped out of bed at 5:00. My heart sank when I saw there was already a big RCI ship turning, but then I realized it was a smaller ship (it was the Independence). The Oasis was about 20 minutes behind, and I achieved my goal…take pictures of the ship arriving without having to get dressed.:)

IMG_8008W-L.jpg

First Glimpse

IMG_8011W-L.jpg

Too Big to Hide!

IMG_8023W-L.jpg

So Pretty!

IMG_8026W-L.jpg

IMG_8027W-L.jpg

I'm SO Excited!

It was a beautiful morning, and I sat on the balcony for a long time watching the ships arrive. What a fun location for a cruise ship junky!

IMG_8044W-L.jpg

IMG_8048W-L.jpg

She's Waiting!

A couple random pictures...

IMG_7905W-L.jpg

The Hyatt from the grounds.

IMG_7907W-L.jpg

One of the ENORMOUS yachts docked near the hotel. I believe someone said you could charter the Cakewalk for $300,000 a week plus expenses!:eek:

That's all for tonight. I have most of the review typed and all the pictures are uploaded to my SmugMug account, so I'll get busy posting more in the morning.

Edited by Cindy

Your pictures are fantastic! What kind if camera do you have? I never thought I would be the type of person to care about that but I recently purchased a new camera based off of someone's review and I'm not sure I like it. It feels too complicated to me. So I'm just curious what others use.

Been waiting for this for two weeks Cindy. Photos are wonderful. In August we also stayed at the Hyatt Regency. The tower rooms are beautiful. We had a similar view, might have been the same room. Wondered how you got your previously posted pictures. You must be a brave person indeed to have done your 5:30 a.m. photo adventure !

Edited by buckeye rob

Your pictures are fantastic! What kind if camera do you have? I never thought I would be the type of person to care about that but I recently purchased a new camera based off of someone's review and I'm not sure I like it. It feels too complicated to me. So I'm just curious what others use.

Thank you! I use a Canon 70D with a 15-85mm lens about 85% of the time. I also have a Canon G1X Mark ii "Point and Shoot" camera that I walk around with a lot in the evenings.

Been waiting for this for two weeks Cindy. Photos are wonderful. In August we also stayed at the Hyatt Regency. The tower rooms are beautiful. We had a similar view, might have been the same room. Wondered how you got your previously posted pictures. You must be a brave person indeed to have done your 5:30 a.m. photo adventure !

Ha! Foolish is more like it! It didn't even occur to me that I really shouldn't be down there until I looked under the gazebo and saw that three people called it home!:eek:

Saturday, November 15 -- Embarkation: We boarded about 11:30. Despite the dire warnings from RCI by text, e-mail, and phone about long delays, we arrived at the port and literally walked right onto the ship.

Oasis-Scans-Boarding-Web-Copy-L.jpg

We wandered around for a while with our jaws hitting the floor, then went up to the Suite Lounge for lunch.

IMG_8050W-L.jpg

IMG_8058W-L.jpg

IMG_8057W-L.jpg

Jim posed here every time we passed!

IMG_8062W-L.jpg

The Suite Lounge and Coastal Kitchen will look very different when they're completely finished. They are going to add curtains and replace the tables and chairs on the lounge side with more comfortable seating.

The afternoon consisted of more touring the ship, a painless (seated) Muster Drill in the Aqua Theater, our roll call Sailaway Party at the Wipeout Bar, and dinner at Giovanni’s Table.

IMG_8103W-L.jpg

IMG_8121W-L.jpg

Sailaway---Web-M.jpg

IMG_8490W-L.jpg

IMG_0329W-L.jpg

IMG_0331W-L.jpg

We ended the day with Oasis of Dreams twice…we watched once in the Aqua Theater, and then again from our balcony.

IMG_8166W-L.jpg

IMG_8163W-L.jpg

IMG_8209W-L.jpg

IMG_8200W-L.jpg

IMG_8214W-L.jpg

IMG_8243W-L.jpg

It was interesting to watch some of the mechanics from above. In this picture, you can see the performers as well as one of the safety divers who are underwater with the cast for the entire performance.

Sunday, November 16 -- Nassau: We stayed onboard and spent a lot of time walking around the ship, exploring and taking pictures.

IMG_8312W-L.jpg

Crown Loft area...you can see construction on what will be the balcony of one of the new Royal Suites.

IMG_8316W-L.jpg

Solarium

IMG_8317W-L.jpg

Solarium

IMG_8309W-L.jpg

View of Atlantis

IMG_8313W-L.jpg

View Forward

IMG_8314W-L.jpg

Beach Pool -- I have to agree with other comments I've read. The umbrellas are in desperate need of replacement.