Maho Beach?

cruiseguy1016

We're planning on going to Maho Beach while in St. Maarten next spring. What's the best way to get there?, just grab a taxi in Phillipsburg or is there maybe a shuttle that goes there? Also, does anyone know where to find the schedule for when the planes are due to be landing?

Edited by cruiseguy1016

If your on a tight budget, a bus for $2 will take you to Maho Beach. You would need to walk 20 mins. into town and catch the bus on Back St. This street runs parallel to Front St. in Philipsburg and very easy to find. The bus (minivans) license plate will indicate *BUS* and they will have a sign in the window for Maho. If taking the bus, when you get off at Maho, ask the driver exactly where you should and wait for the return bus back to Philipsburg.

Or you can take a taxi (minivans) to Maho. The drivers try to fill up their minivans with other passengers going to Maho. Cost for 5 or more passengers is about $7 one way. There are plenty of taxis at Maho to take you back to the pier so no need to worry. Give yourself plenty of time to return back to the pier in case there is traffic, road construction, etc.

The ride on either the bus or taxi is approx. 30 mins to Maho, that is without any traffic. If multiple ships are in port, there will be traffic.

The flight schedule below is only for a 24 hour period. When it get closer to your sail date, a week before, check the schedule below on the *day* you will arrive. So if you arrive on a Wednesday, check the Wednesday prior to arrival and you'll see all the arrivals and departures times for each airline.

http://sunsetsxm.com/index.php/about-us/flight-schedules

It's much easier with a taxi.

If your on a tight budget, a bus for $2 will take you to Maho Beach. You would need to walk 20 mins. into town and catch the bus on Back St. This street runs parallel to Front St. in Philipsburg and very easy to find. The bus (minivans) license plate will indicate *BUS* and they will have a sign in the window for Maho. If taking the bus, when you get off at Maho, ask the driver exactly where you should and wait for the return bus back to Philipsburg.

Or you can take a taxi (minivans) to Maho. The drivers try to fill up their minivans with other passengers going to Maho. Cost for 5 or more passengers is about $7 one way. There are plenty of taxis at Maho to take you back to the pier so no need to worry. Give yourself plenty of time to return back to the pier in case there is traffic, road construction, etc.

The ride on either the bus or taxi is approx. 30 mins to Maho, that is without any traffic. If multiple ships are in port, there will be traffic.

The flight schedule below is only for a 24 hour period. When it get closer to your sail date, a week before, check the schedule below on the *day* you will arrive. So if you arrive on a Wednesday, check the Wednesday prior to arrival and you'll see all the arrivals and departures times for each airline.

http://sunsetsxm.com/index.php/about-us/flight-schedules

It's much easier with a taxi.

This is all the info I needed. Thank you very much.

The bus (minivans) license plate will indicate *BUS* and they will have a sign in the window for Maho. .

Sometimes the sign doesn't say Maho but Mullet, which is a beach further away, but buses have to go Maho first to reach Mullet.

We found a bus easily on Back street. When we were ready to return to Phillipsburg, we found a bus right near the little traffic circle where we had been dropped off. One of the other passengers on the bus asked if the bus goes to the ships and the driver said he would take the man to the ship for $5. We all paid $5 each and got dropped off at the dock instead of having to walk back from Phillipsburg. It couldn't hurt to ask.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
How much is taxi fare one way if we're not sharing a taxi? Also there's always taxis at the beach right? How much time should I allow on the way back cause I don't wanna be late. Thanks!

There are plenty of taxis at the beach to take you back to the pier, no need to worry. The taxi drivers will be hanging out at the Sunset Bar & Grill which is right next to Maho Beach. If our ship leaves at 5 pm and all aboard is 4:30 pm, I would leave Maho Beach at 3 pm. Even though it's about a 30-40 min. drive back to the pier from Maho, you need to allow yourself extra time for traffic, road construction, etc.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Check out my Maho Video:

Regards,

Kevin Reid

From the beginning of the video it appears there were 3 vessels in port that day. Is that correct?

I'm looking at 6 when I go in Jan 2017 and trying to figure out if I should do Maho or not with that many in port.

Thanks

That's awesome love the Perspective from in the water we didn't go in. I can't wait to go back. Did he use a go pro for that?

Yes! We had 2 Go Pros and and a Sony HDR-GW77 which is a also water proof.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

From the beginning of the video it appears there were 3 vessels in port that day. Is that correct?

I'm looking at 6 when I go in Jan 2017 and trying to figure out if I should do Maho or not with that many in port.

Thanks

You are correct that was from my video where I used Maho clips from 2013 and 2014. But in my Son's video from March of 2015 different story. The following where the ships in the busiest I have ever seen at any port on any one day:

Mar 5 Thurs St Maarten

Regal Princess 3560/1346

Allure of the Seas 5400/1650

Silhouette 2852/1500

Costa Mediterranea 2114/1020

NCL Gem 2460/1010

Seven Seas Navigator 504/324

Totals Passengers/Crew 16890/6850

Maho actually wasn't too bad with almost 25K extra people in port we had no problem staking out a spot. You can tell from Adam's video that we walked quite a bit down the beach to get a spot but was also prime plane watching spot IMO.

Don't let the crowds scare you off Maho is worth it.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Awesome thanks I've wanted one and that quality of video is awesome I think I'm gunna get one before our next cruise

Go pros are a lot of fun! Warning you can spend a ton of money on the accessories. I don't even let on to my DW how much I actually spent.

DSC09463-XL.jpg

DSC03355_labels-XL.jpg

DSC03356_labels-XL.jpg

DSC09499_labels-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid