First cruise, what should I go see in Alaska?

Hello CruiseCritic world.

I just booked my very first cruise which is to Alaska in early September (From other posts i suppose Im supposed to say that?)

Im looking at the shore excursions, but I want to know if theres anything I should do that I might over look without realizing it.

I know that most things offered, a lot of people from my cruise will be going to. Which is nice, but I dont want everything to always be crowded.

If there is any sight seeing thing, great little restaurant, or whatever the 'normal' tourist might not see, I would LOVE to know about it.

Thank you so much in advance!

In Skagway, do the White Pass and Yukon Train Ride.

If you like to take photos, do the Photo Safari in Juneau. We also liked Mt. Roberts Tramway, but I read it's better to book that once you arrive and see if it'sd too cloudy.

In Victoria, BC, the Butchart Gardens is always nice.

Take rain ponchos and bug repellant. Also take a warm jacket. Depending on the ship, it will even be cold on the ship. On our two cruises in Vision Class ships, there was quite a wind tunnel inside.

Hope this helps.

Edited by knittinggirl

Hello CruiseCritic world.

I just booked my very first cruise which is to Alaska in early September (From other posts i suppose Im supposed to say that?)

Im looking at the shore excursions, but I want to know if theres anything I should do that I might over look without realizing it.

I know that most things offered, a lot of people from my cruise will be going to. Which is nice, but I dont want everything to always be crowded.

If there is any sight seeing thing, great little restaurant, or whatever the 'normal' tourist might not see, I would LOVE to know about it.

Thank you so much in advance!

I'd suggest you head over to the Alaska board and ask all your questions there, there are a lot of people with lots of experience in Alaska:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=55

In Skagway we rented a car and drove to Whitehorse. It was a very nice drive with lots of spots to stop and take pictures. In Whitehorse we walked around and had a nice lunch before taking our time driving back. It was a very enjoyable day. We even had time to do some shopping in town once we got back.

• 5 months later...

I had a fantastic time Whale Watching in Juneau and would recommend it. We went with Juneau Tours and they were great! We saw several whales and a herd/school/flock? of porpoises.

We are planning on taking the White Rail Train in Skagway in 2015 and i am super excited for it! Our friends highly recommended it.

I had a fantastic time Whale Watching in Juneau and would recommend it. We went with Juneau Tours and they were great! We saw several whales and a herd/school/flock? of porpoises.

We are planning on taking the White Rail Train in Skagway in 2015 and i am super excited for it! Our friends highly recommended it.

Good Choice -- we have done the train ride in Skagway 3 times -- different versions -- and loved them.