More Newbie Dumb Questions

dudley69

Hi,

We will be sailing on the Dawn from N.O. on 2/22. Its the 7 day western Caribbean trip. We are in our 60s, so the zip line and most water sports are not on the agenda.. The only excursion we are sure of is in Belize. Its the cave tubing thru Shoretrips.com.

Any suggestions on what to buy and where to shop in the ports greatly appreciaated.. I do think we have sucker stamped on our foreheads, so help is needed.

Are there any stops where one would be better off staying on the ship? From what I have read, the shore trips booked thru NCL tend to be crowded but still fun...

Looking forward to this with our fingers crossed.

Thanks,

John

You're of the age where libraries are a GOOD thing...so go and get a guidebook! They have them! Read up on your ports! You don't need excursions for 99% of the things you'll want to do~ But...research is KEY! Go to the library!!!! If you've never been to any of your ports, staying on the ship seems to be a waste. If you've been there....a port day is relaxing, if you enjoy the pool...otherwise, activities are limited while in port

Edited by cb at sea

There's not much worth buying in the Western Caribbean imo

Check out the ports of call boards here on CC. Also check the sister site TripAdvisor. Each port often has an official tourism site. I had good luck simply searching the port & excursions on my favorite search engine. That method does require some double checking to make sure you are not getting ripped off.

We enjoyed cave tubing but you do take a LONG walk along a dirt path carrying your tube before you get in the water & float back.

1) Welcome aboard!

2) There is no such thing as a dumb question. For every question you put forth, there are dozens of lurkers out there who have the same question, but lack the courage to ask. Besides, it gives those of us (who think we know EVERYTHING) a chance to show off!

3) What to do in your ports-of-call are gong to be many and varied. The deciding factor will be what trips your trigger(s). One thing SunFlower ("She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed) and I do is look at the offerings separately and pick our favorites. Then, we compare notes and begin the 'cussin' 'n' discussin'. On occasion, if we really have our hearts set on something, we tour independently. That way, we have more to discuss over dinner.

4) Would also recommend you go to the Roll Call for your sailing.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1880610

Meet the rest of your 'Crew'. Odds are that you'll find a few kindred souls and possibly a shopping/touring buddy, or two, or three . . .

Definitely go to your public library and check out some guidebooks that include your ports. Also google each port. You should be able to find some tourism sites.

If you are unsure about what to buy or are concerned about being taken, why not consider not buying anything. We usually might buy a tee shirt or two and maybe a magnet for a port. We're not looking for jewelry or knickknacks.

If you are wary about venturing out into a port, and want to sightsee, consider booking an excursion. Ask for recommendations from people you know. My family just usually goes with a ship's excursion if we're not going DIY.

Counting on your fitness level, being in your 60's is no reason to bypass ziplining and snorkeling....... We've zip-lined with people in their 70's.... and we found snorkeling off of a boat (with a ramp for entry-exit) easy, wonderful, and joint-friendly.

Both were out of my comfort zone, but I felt like I needed to push my boundaries, and I'm SO glad we did! And will do again, without reservation!

Barb and Steven (in early 60's)