Athens second time- suggestions?

sasha6259

Hi,

We visited Athens in 2009 on a cruise and did the full day all inclusive tour of the usual sites and wanted to do something different this time. We would be happy to go back to the Acropolis and the Plaka but not keen to do the Olympic stadium, the Changing of the Guards, Temple of Zeus and the museums etc again. These are all of course in most tours. We are only travelling as two but cant find any share tours either so any suggestions would be great. We will be in port on the 22 July traveling on the Oosterdam. Also having the same issue with Olympia but content to have a down day here and just visit the local town and beach but figure there must be plenty more to see and do in Athens but prefer to have it organised in advance. Any help appreciated. Thanks:cool:

We are coming up on our forth visit to Athens and this time we have decided to hike up Lycabettus Hill -- you can also take a cable car up. Another option would be a day trip to Cape Sounion..

Hi,

We visited Athens in 2009 on a cruise and did the full day all inclusive tour of the usual sites and wanted to do something different this time. We would be happy to go back to the Acropolis and the Plaka but not keen to do the Olympic stadium, the Changing of the Guards, Temple of Zeus and the museums etc again. These are all of course in most tours. We are only travelling as two but cant find any share tours either so any suggestions would be great. We will be in port on the 22 July traveling on the Oosterdam. Also having the same issue with Olympia but content to have a down day here and just visit the local town and beach but figure there must be plenty more to see and do in Athens but prefer to have it organised in advance. Any help appreciated. Thanks:cool:

Tons to see/do in Athens - a few suggestions for repeat visits:

Have you visited the National Archaeological Museum? It is spectacular - I could spend an entire day there.

http://www.namuseum.gr/wellcome-en.html

I also enjoyed the Byzantine Museum: http://www.byzantinemuseum.gr/en/

Ancient Agora: Ruins of the Ancient Marketplace & civic center

National Gardens

Mount Lycabettus

I was just going to post this same question. This will be our fourth visit next week and wonder if there is somewhere we can go and see via local bus or taxi.

Any suggestions we are there 12.00 to 20.00

Thanks

Two years ago my husband and I took this food tour and loved it.

http://www.athenswalkingtours.gr/SC5-athens-tours

The price included R/T transportation from/to the port, a 3-hour food and walking tour, and free time in the Plaka.

We were lucky to have Despina, the owner, as our guide. My husband still talks about her. She was scholarly without being pretentious and humorous without being cheesy. She took us away from the tourist spots and into areas where the locals shopped and ate.

There is a day cruise to the small islands of Aegina, Hydra and Poros from Athens that was awesome! We enjoyed it so much we are doing it again.

Andrea

Hi,

Do you have a link or the name of the tour company that did the boat trip to the islands? Thanks

Hi,

Athens is not somewhere that you need a tour. Get a cab to the plaka area and a guide book and just wander around.

Lots of good ideas but I would like the link to the boat tour. That sounds very relaxing as our trip is 21 out if 24 port days so intensive.

This is our second trip so possibly more yet to see in Athens before going to Corinth but also thinking we have spent plenty on other port trips so maybe another trip to the Acropolis on our own and then a wander around the Plaka.

Great ideas from everyone . Have the same issue in akusadassi and posted there but no information. I we have been to Ephesus before but s armed to do that port on our own in the current climate.:)

Hi,

Do you have a link or the name of the tour company that did the boat trip to the islands? Thanks

It's a very long day to do all three of these islands, as I recall. (I don't remember what tour I used, but I just looked up one of the providers and the timing is from 8:00 am to 7:30 pm -- possibly too long for someone on a limited time port stop.

You could easily visit just one or two of these islands by taking a ferry. The Piraeus port is huge and includes ferries to various destinations. If you're interested I could pull up more detailed information.

(P.S. -- I pointed you to a post with some good ideas on the Kusadasi thread, did none of them appeal to you? ;))

It's a very long day to do all three of these islands, as I recall. (I don't remember what tour I used, but I just looked up one of the providers and the timing is from 8:00 am to 7:30 pm -- possibly too long for someone on a limited time port stop.

You could easily visit just one or two of these islands by taking a ferry. The Piraeus port is huge and includes ferries to various destinations. If you're interested I could pull up more detailed information.

(P.S. -- I pointed you to a post with some good ideas on the Kusadasi thread, did none of them appeal to you? ;))

Thank you for that. I really appreciate the information and thinking a visit to an island will be nice but also thinking maybe strolling the plaka but worried we could get lost. Does anyone know what a cab to the Plaka would cost fir two persons?

Yes thanks for the Kusadasi tips. I liked the suggestions . Thinking what might suit us b:)est as we are only two . Thank you again.

Maria

Edited by sasha6259

Thank you for that. I really appreciate the information and thinking a visit to an island will be nice but also thinking maybe strolling the plaka but worried we could get lost. Does anyone know what a cab to the Plaka would cost fir two persons?

Yes thanks for the Kusadasi tips. I liked the suggestions . Thinking what might suit us b:)est as we are only two . Thank you again.

Maria

Don't worry, you won't get lost and the central area isn't that large. A cab one-way to central Athens should cost 20-25 euro.

As for Kusadasi, private tours there are much less expensive than in most European stops. The cost of a private tour for two is probably still less than a ship tour...!

I have a major interest in Greek and Roman ruins, and the area near Kusadasi has some really great sites in addition to Ephesus. Most private companies offer a tour to Priene, Miletus, and Didyma, which takes about 3/4 of a day. Or you could modify it and just see two of the three. Priene is beautifully atmospheric but does require a relatively steep (but thankfully short) walk to the top of the hill. It has been nearly deserted the two times I've visited. Alexander the Great stayed there....

Miletus and Didyma are close together. Miletus has a beautifully preserved theatre but the remainder of the ruins there (unless you're extremely interested and prepared with notes) is underwhelming. The temple of Apollo at Didyma is a "do not miss" site. I imagine that the Temple of Artemis (which was one of the Seven Wonders) must have been at least as impressive...

Anyway, my two cents.

Thanks .

I think we will do Athens on our own but a tour in Kusadassi with the worry at the moment with all the unrest. Thanks for your two cents was . It was certainly worth lots of dollars in more ways than one!!:)

Something else to consider for an easy day in Piraeus would be Piraeus itself. The Municipality of Piraeus have just published a guide 'Destination Piraeus' that has some walks that might be of interest. The guide is available on line at http://www.portnet.gr/attachments/article/6064/destination%20piraeus%202016.pdf

ZBJHyk.jpg

Alternatively how about Batis beach around 3 miles away from the port - quite good for a town beach. We went there ourselves a couple of years ago - see http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2013759 for my picture ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Something else to consider for an easy day in Piraeus would be Piraeus itself. The Municipality of Piraeus have just published a guide 'Destination Piraeus' that has some walks that might be of interest. The guide is available on line at http://www.portnet.gr/attachments/article/6064/destination%20piraeus%202016.pdf

We were there last week, there is also a tractor train at 5 euros from the port. Stops at Piraeus marina and then down town, but last train leaves return at 4.00. Not a lot to see but passed a few hours

• 1 month later...
We were there last week, there is also a tractor train at 5 euros from the port. Stops at Piraeus marina and then down town, but last train leaves return at 4.00. Not a lot to see but passed a few hours

Do you know the name of that little tractor train?

Do you know the name of that little tractor train?

The train can be found on the Sights of Athens website. They have the train and a hop on/off bus. If you arrive at terminal A take a left out of the terminal entrance and follow water about 500'. You can't miss it.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...