Suggestions for Aruba?

aussi3itup

Palm Beach on your own via taxi is very doable.

I would not rely on getting off your ship at 8 am, walking to the bus terminal, waiting for the bus and then getting to Palm Beach by 9 am. Could you do it? Probably. Would I guarantee it? Never. The problem with the bus is you do not know how long it will take because that depends upon whether or not the bus stops at each stop. There are plenty of hotel employees who depend upon the bus to get them to work in the morning.

If you need to save the money by taking the bus instead of a taxi, split the difference, splurge on the taxi to get to Palm Beach and take the bus in the opposite direction and allow yourself a 'GOOD' hour to get back to the ship.

If you decide to go to MoomBa, just tell the taxi driver to take you there.

If you wish to rent chaises and umbrellas from the vendors at the foot of De Palm Pier, ask to be dropped off at the entrance to De Palm Pier. If you take that walkway which runs between the Radisson and Riu Resorts, once you arrive at the beach there are vendors on the left and right who will rent you whatever you need.

If you decide to go to MoomBa, just tell the taxi driver to take you there.

If you wish to rent chaises and umbrellas from the vendors at the foot of De Palm Pier, ask to be dropped off at the entrance to De Palm Pier. If you take that walkway which runs between the Radisson and Riu Resorts, once you arrive at the beach there are vendors on the left and right who will rent you whatever you need.

Thanks for all the info!

I had posted here a few times looking for anyone that did the day pass at the Occidental Aruba, and no one really wrote back. So, for those that are considering it, I wanted to let everyone know that my wife and I did it last week.

We were on the Carnival Liberty last week. When we got to Aruba, it was an easy cab ride to the Occidental and took about 15 minutes to get there. Once there, we checked in at the front desk, got our I.D. bracelets and off we went. We had one of the best days ever on a cruise (this was our 11th cruise)! Amazing beach with lots of chairs and shade. Great food at the buffet. And pretty good drinks at both the beach bar and the swim-up bar in the pool. The pool and surrounding area were beautiful and the whole day was fantastic. We were there from 9 a.m. and we left to get back to the ship at around 2:30.

We paid $75 each for everything, including food, alcohol, was included and was unlimited, floats, chairs and pool.

Highly recommend this as a good option if you want a great beach day in Aruba.

Edited by jeff33436

Thanks so much for this info.

The day pass we were planning on purchasing at a certain hotel doesn't sell day passes anymore (just got the email today). So I was trying to figure out what to do in Aruba.

I will check out the Occidental.

What were the chouices for the food? Did they supply towels?

Thanks again!

Check out Arubabob snorkeling. Everyone who goes raves about it. Here is a link to his website.

http://arubabobsnorkeling.com/

We snorkeled with Aruba Bob in March and it was very good. You hold little "scooters" that help pull you through the water so you can go farther without getting so tired. It was a great day! They also take underwater photos of you and email them without charge.

I had posted here a few times looking for anyone that did the day pass at the Occidental Aruba, and no one really wrote back. So, for those that are considering it, I wanted to let everyone know that my wife and I did it last week.

We were on the Carnival Liberty last week. When we got to Aruba, it was an easy cab ride to the Occidental and took about 15 minutes to get there. Once there, we checked in at the front desk, got our I.D. bracelets and off we went. We had one of the best days ever on a cruise (this was our 11th cruise)! Amazing beach with lots of chairs and shade. Great food at the buffet. And pretty good drinks at both the beach bar and the swim-up bar in the pool. The pool and surrounding area were beautiful and the whole day was fantastic. We were there from 9 a.m. and we left to get back to the ship at around 2:30.

We paid $75 each for everything, including food, alcohol, was included and was unlimited, floats, chairs and pool.

Jeff we are considering this option as well so thank you for sharing your review! Can you tell me how the food was? I know there's a buffet and snacks offered but what types of foods were on the buffet and the snacks? Where did you book the day pass? That's a great price!

Edited by UpstateCruizer

Thanks for the clarification.

There are vendors on the south end of the Radisson's beach who will rent chaises and umbrellas. You won't have access to their pool, but it is all the same beautiful beach.

Thanks so much for this info.

The day pass we were planning on purchasing at a certain hotel doesn't sell day passes anymore (just got the email today). So I was trying to figure out what to do in Aruba.

I will check out the Occidental.

What were the chouices for the food? Did they supply towels?

Thanks again!

Towels were supplied. Food was plentiful with lots of choices, especially breakfast! So many items. And, the food was pretty good too.

Sorry everyone- I haven't been back on this board for a few days. Here are some more details:

We booked the pass on this website:

http://www.caribbeandaypass.com

You have to wait for them to email you a voucher and then bring the voucher directly to the hotel. Once at the front desk at the hotel, there were no issues whatsoever. They gave us a wristband and off we went.

Someone wrote above that you can just really go to any hotel and have access to the beach. This is true, BUT... it was so nice to have access to both the beach and pool. The pool was gorgeous and very tropical. Lots of chairs both in the sun and in the shade. There was an exercise class going on in the pool and everyone joined in. Then a quick few steps to the swim-up bar right there in the pool was cool. Also nice to have access to chairs and palapas (shade!). Then there were the unlimited food and drinks. Not to mention nice restrooms, and other little extras.

The food on the buffet was great. Breakfast had EVERYTHING you could ever want. We had eaten a small breakfast on the ship before getting off, and sorry that we did. We ended up having a second breakfast at the hotel. Lunch was also a wide variety including stuff for the kiddies in your group (chik fingers, etc). There was pasta, breads desserts, side dishes. All better than the buffets on the ship.

For those looking for beach activities, there were all sorts of attractions within steps. Parasailing, tubing, etc. were available (not for free! lol) Also, nice concrete boardwalk allowed you to take long walk in either direction and see all the other hotels and resorts.

As the afternoon went on, we realized that we had to get back to the ship soon and we were really sad that we didn't have a few more hours. We had such a nice time that we are exploring going back next year for a few days.

I always stay at the Radisson (instead of via a cruise) and that whole strip of beach including the Occidental is just gorgeous - paradise. Great location too - lots of nearby restaurants and shops.

For those who don't have a day pass and choose to stay in this beach area there is a pier between the RIU and the Radisson which as a bar/restaurant that has good food and a nice view

Hi ArubaLisa! You sound like you are in the know about Aruba. My family of four (DH, me, DDs 12 & 14) will be on a cruise that will stop in Aruba. What beach is your favorite for spending the day at? Do you have a favorite excursion? Thanks in advance for your help!

The Pier is De Palm Pier and the Bar/Restaurant is Bugaloe.

Arubalisa,

Would we be able to take a taxi and ask to be dropped off at the De Palm pier? We could use the beach and eat at the restaurant???? We are a family of 4, with two boys ages 16 and 20. They want to spend time on the beach. We were interested in perhaps a daypass as well where they could use the pool. Does the Renaissance Aruba near the port have day passes available? What would be your choice to spend the day if you were us? First, which beach area or which hotel with a day pass? We are in port from 1pm to 10pm. So we want to be able to enjoy a hotel with a day pass and probably stay atleast until 7pm or so then head in to town to walk around. I am assuming the port area shops will be open while we are in port until 10pm??? Thanks so much for your help. We spent a day at the beach in front of Amsterdam Manor a year ago-loved it. Wanted to try somewhere different this time. Arubalisa I appreciate your help!!!

The Renaissance day pass is based upon availability (hotel occupancy) and $99 per person, but only includes a lunch entree, 1 beverage and I believe a float.

The Occidental on Palm Beach is $75 per person. Your children would appreciate the Palm Beach area in that there is a lot more activity. If money were not object this would be my choice.

Any taxi driver SHOULD know where the entrance to De Palm Pier is located. When you reach the beach there are vendors right there who rent chaises and umbrellas. Bugaloe Bar & Grill at the end of the De Palm Pier is affordable for drinks, lunch or snacks. And there are other restaurants and bars all along the beach. Though less expensive than a day pass ($300- $400) for 4 people, this option would not give you use of a swimming pool, however the waters off of Palm Beach are calm and the next best thing to a salt water swimming pool albeit with a bit of sand thrown in. ;)

The other lower cost option that would include a swimming pool would be Reflextions Beach. There is more info here in the forum on that.

• 1 month later...
Sorry everyone- I haven't been back on this board for a few days. Here are some more details:

We booked the pass on this website:

http://www.caribbeandaypass.com

You have to wait for them to email you a voucher and then bring the voucher directly to the hotel. Once at the front desk at the hotel, there were no issues whatsoever. They gave us a wristband and off we went.

Someone wrote above that you can just really go to any hotel and have access to the beach. This is true, BUT... it was so nice to have access to both the beach and pool. The pool was gorgeous and very tropical. Lots of chairs both in the sun and in the shade. There was an exercise class going on in the pool and everyone joined in. Then a quick few steps to the swim-up bar right there in the pool was cool. Also nice to have access to chairs and palapas (shade!). Then there were the unlimited food and drinks. Not to mention nice restrooms, and other little extras.

The food on the buffet was great. Breakfast had EVERYTHING you could ever want. We had eaten a small breakfast on the ship before getting off, and sorry that we did. We ended up having a second breakfast at the hotel. Lunch was also a wide variety including stuff for the kiddies in your group (chik fingers, etc). There was pasta, breads desserts, side dishes. All better than the buffets on the ship.

For those looking for beach activities, there were all sorts of attractions within steps. Parasailing, tubing, etc. were available (not for free! lol) Also, nice concrete boardwalk allowed you to take long walk in either direction and see all the other hotels and resorts.

As the afternoon went on, we realized that we had to get back to the ship soon and we were really sad that we didn't have a few more hours. We had such a nice time that we are exploring going back next year for a few days.

Thanks for the info and link. I see on this web site that they offer transportation--did you use them as well or just take a cab? If you took a cab, how much did were you charged? Looks like a gorgeous beach, and I love AI resorts. Thanks!

Thank you for passing this info along!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums