Solo on the beach - How do you keep your things safe?

westcoasttech

In this particular case, I'm talking about Magens Beach in St. Thomas. I don't usually take the "beach time" tours, but with a view to using an upcoming cruise as a "relaxing" time, I was looking at a tour that would drop me at Magens Beach for 2 hours. The problem I have (and I guess most solos have) is how do you safely leave your things on the sand to enjoy the water? In the past, I've done the "keep an eye on your stuff while you bob around in the surf" method, and I guess there's the "ask an honest looking couple next to you to watch your stuff" method too, but both leave me a little worried! Not that I'll have anything of extreme value, but still there'd be personal ID and the normal "point n'shoot" camera, that might be tempting to certain characters.

Anyone got any experience of Magens Beach and its "safety" factor? Would there be "beach hawkers" wandering around trying to sell you tacky souvenirs and the like?

Edited by westcoasttech

I bought a little waterproof case from Amazon that will hold my keys, cards, cash and iPhone. I haven't dared try my iPhone in it yet, but I have tested it with the other items and have never had water leak into it while swimming.

It looks a little bit dorky but I prefer that to losing my stuff! The only thing left to worry about is my towel. Well, and my flip-flops too I guess though I can't imagine anyone would want those!

Haven't been to Magen's Bay in many years so can't help you there.

Magens bay I just put my stuff in a backpack under a picnic table and kept an eye on it. In terms of my wallet, id, etc.... I kept it in my bathing suit zippered and in 2 zip lock bags.

I think you raise a good point- nothing wrong with worrying about it.

I found GSC to be more relaxing due to not having to bring more than my keycard, despite the fact Magens Bay is subjectively a nicer beach.

Same thing with Horsehoe Bay, I am almost starting to think I will not go on other beaches than GSC

I swim with a waterproof wallet too. I figure I'll still be good if I happen to lose it in the water (have never come close to losing it) since my passport is still on the ship. I would ask another person nearby with a cruise towel to keep an eye in it. I've been asked to watch someone's stuff before too. No one really minds.

Dolce and Gabbana make a beach towel with a zip pocket at one end which holds cruise card, some cash, suntan lotion and camera. I never take much cash. I just roll it over and put my sandals on top when I go in a for a swim.

I use a waterproof "fanny pack" that I bought years ago at REI. Holds my wallet, key card, and camera. Never has leaked on me. I do leave my towel and sandals on shore, and hope that nobody wants to steal these...and try to keep them in my view while I am in the water, but if snorkeling, that is not usually possible. So far, no shoe stealers!

I just recently bought myself a Seacure pack, but have not had a chance to try it yet: http://www.seacurebags.com

I use a waterproof "fanny pack" that I bought years ago at REI. Holds my wallet, key card, and camera. Never has leaked on me. I do leave my towel and sandals on shore, and hope that nobody wants to steal these...and try to keep them in my view while I am in the water, but if snorkeling, that is not usually possible. So far, no shoe stealers!

I just recently bought myself a Seacure pack, but have not had a chance to try it yet: http://www.seacurebags.com

where did u buy it, ?

i found only amazon uk selling it;

I'm heading out on my 1st solo cruise next month, and was wondering the same thing. Has anyone tried a small cable lock to secure beach bags or anything to a beach chair?

smoke.jpg

I don't want to be completely paranoid, but do wonder how you can safely go out snorkeling or anything if you have stuff up on shore.

I've already bought a waterproof pouch for id, a few dollars, and my cell phone (which I plan on taking underwater pictures with).

• 1 month later...