Oistin's Friday Night Fish Fry Barbados

thomros

We go on the 24 th Jan so you will be back before we go ,maybe you could post a reveiw on Oistins 🎄

I'd be very keen to hear your opinions too hbux if you go. We are on the same sailing as macren and would appreciate more info like taxi fares etc as we might be interested to go too.

Have a great trip hbux!

We went there when we were on holiday in Barbados a few years back. It was OK. Very busy, but to me nothing special. I prefer the night markets/food stalls in the Far East if I'm honest. It's still probably worth a visit though.

Dgs1956....there's a roll call for our cruise, have you seen it? Looking forward to the cruise so much now and you've all just made me even more excited!!

Once we're back from Oisens I'll post a review and let you know if it's worth the trip 😊 There's actually quite a bit of info about Oisens/taxis etc on the roll call for the Azura cruise which left on 12/13th Dec. it might be worth having a look? Failing that, I'll do my best to help in Jan.

Last time we were in Barbados overnight, we didn't realise that you could stay out and we stupidly rushed back onboard for dinner. We won't make that mistake again. Definitely will be making the post of our all night 'pass'!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Dgs1956....there's a roll call for our cruise, have you seen it? Looking forward to the cruise so much now and you've all just made me even more excited!!

Once we're back from Oisens I'll post a review and let you know if it's worth the trip 😊 There's actually quite a bit of info about Oisens/taxis etc on the roll call for the Azura cruise which left on 12/13th Dec. it might be worth having a look? Failing that, I'll do my best to help in Jan.

Last time we were in Barbados overnight, we didn't realise that you could stay out and we stupidly rushed back onboard for dinner. We won't make that mistake again. Definitely will be making the post of our all night 'pass'!!

Thanks - have a great time! :)

Just walk out of the cruise terminal building and get a taxi to take you. They will stay with you all evening but it may cost you a fish supper. Go early as the roads to Oistins get very busy. We have done it a couple of times and it is well worth a visit in my opinion. There is music and a little dance hall and the locals are all out for a good time On the way home you can call in at Harbour lights(if you still have the energy) where you will find many of the crew letting their hair down;)

It's the only place to be on Friday evenings with locals coming from all over the island along with visitors. Everyone mingles and its a really friendly place. The smell from the various food vendors is great and there is a big stage where the locals and the more drunk tourists do a dance off. Really enjoyed our evening there and would go again

I am thinking of visiting Oistin's Friday Night Fish Fry in Barbados whilst overnighting on the Ventura, has anyone been there and is it worth a visit?

Just lost my post. Fish fry at Oistins is a great evening. Load music, packed solid and very friendly. Brilliant.

• 4 weeks later...

We've just returned from our cruise and went to Oistins last Friday......it was great!! Definitely go if you can as its a true Caribbean experience.

The food was amazing with flying fish, dolphin (not 'Flipper' as they kept saying - it's actually Mahi Mahi), ribs etc on the menu and there was a buzzing atmosphere with visitors and locals mixing together with no problems. The prices are in Barbados dollars but you can easily pay for everything in USD and our meals were approx $13 each. The beers are cheap too with 4 bottles of local Banks for $5 USD.

We got there at about 8pm and it was a half hour taxi journey from the port. Yes, there is some traffic on the way but it wasn't anything to worry about and we kept moving the entire time. The taxi is $10 pp each way if you have 4 or more people in the vehicle. There were only 2 of us and they tried charging us double and even more but we just ambushed another group on the jetty and asked to share a cab 😉 Don't get fleeced!!

There are chickens and crabs running around and quite a few patrolling police so it feels very safe. Enjoy and I hope that this review helps, as we didn't know what to expect when we turned up!!

We arrive on a Friday from Manchester and we are overnighting on Ventura. I would love to try the fish fry, so I hope we are not too tired after the long flight.

I have read the reviews on trip advisor, as usual they are mixed. But several references to long waits for food. So is this true? If so, is it feasible to eat on ship then just go for a few beers, in other words are tables for diners only? In saying that I don't mind the wait if I can have a beer or 2 while we wait

We have been a couple of times and have sat at one or two bars and just had a beer and then moved on till we found a place where we liked the look of what others were eating so we ordered up. There is also a stage where the locals and tourists alike are encouraged to have a good time, and a little hut that has a more traditional 'dancehall' feel you won't be allowed out of there until you have had a dance with a local. Think of that Guiness add where they put their gladrags on and step out for a good time:)

The food is the best part of the evening so definitely don't miss out!! Oistins was the only place that we found proper Caribbean food for our entire holiday. This is mostly because the beaches/areas that you visit on the other islands are set up to receive tourists, whereas Oistins is primarily for the locals.

There are so many places selling food (mostly the same choices at each stall) that you'll always be able to find something where there's no wait. Beers/drinks are sold everywhere too so no shortage there 😊 Have a fantastic time and enjoy Ventura, she's a lovely ship X

We went to Oistens on Boxing Day as we were on the Azura Christmas cruise. We were both looking forward to it even though I don`t like fish. We must be in the minority on this thread as we did not enjoy it at all. Yes it is set up for the locals and they seem to have a ball at it but it was not for us. William had the Shrimp kebabs which cost $30 that's US dollars not EC dollars. It consisted of 8 large shrimps some salad and French fries to me it was not worth the price but William said the shrimps were lovely. He left the chips and salad it was like McDonalds chips and not a very nice salad. I had nothing to eat as I didn`t fancy anything. I was put off by the bang bang banging of the music and was getting a headache with it. I found it far to loud and that`s strange for me as I like house, trance and rave music! I found the music to be confusing if you know what I mean, one ear would be hearing one tune belting out and the other ear would be hearing a different tune competing with the other. Others seamed to be enjoying the music but each to there own.

There is local craft stalls to the rear of the fish fry serving area. I found this to be well overpriced and a typical tourist trap but nice enough stuff to look at.

We went as a group of approx 14 the price was $10pp each for the return fare,we left earlier than the others and got a taxi back to the ship cost was $20 for the two of us we just had to get away. The thought of another three hours there would have done my nerves in.

It was such a pity! I have said we were both really looking forward to it and went with an open mind. I can now say I have been there but I will NEVER go back to Oistens. For us it was a waste of our time on our last night and a waste of $70 plus. The money doesn't really matter but I would rather have spent it on something we enjoyed, sadly on this occasion we didn't. Although others in our group did.

Regarding authentic food on our holiday, we had lovely authentic food at Carambola Beach Club St Kitts and again at Valley Church Beach Antigua to name a few. The Painkiller cocktail at the Soggy Dollar bar at Jost Van Dyke was just that. I never felt a thing after two:D

Just my opinion on Oistens fish fry. don`t shoot me for it:)

Regards to all

P and W

Pauline thanks for your report on Oistens. We always fly Friday and have been too tired from the trip to go out the first night. We were considering next year booking Saturday flights to try Oistens but from your description I really think that we would feel the same. I can't stand busy places where I can't hear myself think. I love the Caribbean food and music though but can find that at local bars during the day.

Sue

Sue, save your night for something you know you will enjoy. Like a night in the Glasshouse :D Wish we had done that it would have been a better evening for us.

I`m not saying others would not enjoy it it`s just not our thing.

Regards

Pauline