Cuba?

msmillie

That would be lovely but don't hold your breath. We have been to Cuba twice - an absolutely beautiful country. However, it does not have the infrastructure to accommodate multiple cruise ships and the hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of U.S. citizens that would want to visit there.

The last time we were there is 12 years ago. I saw a video this morning taken in 2012 - not much has changed. We took a taxi from Havana to Varadero Cuba (approx. 75 miles if I remember correctly). There were no restaurants or stores -- nothing along the side of the roads except political signs here and there. At the time we were there, the only government permitted restaurants were in homes. The owners of the home cooked -- the staff was paid by the government. In the video I watched today, there are some government owned restaurants that look like restaurants.

Quite a few Canadian's visit Cuba as do people in other parts of the world. There are hotels in the tourist area (Varadero) that are quite nice. However, you may as well be visiting Malibu because it is not typical of Cuba. Cubans are not allowed there unless they work there.

IMO, the best way to see Cuba is before the embargo is lifted. Companies such as Tauck do legal tours to Cuba. They are structured to be humanitarian tours - include 3 meals a day and, from what I saw in the video -- of Havana only -- it would be interesting. Actually, we preferred places outside of Havana but did enjoy the couple of days that we spent there.

Perhaps my "vision" of what will happen when the embargo is lifted is overly negative. Since Cuba is so close to Miami, I can see every mega ship wanting to go there and students wanting to visit the all-inclusives during spring break (yuck).

That would be lovely but don't hold your breath. We have been to Cuba twice - an absolutely beautiful country. However, it does not have the infrastructure to accommodate multiple cruise ships and the hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of U.S. citizens that would want to visit there.

The last time we were there is 12 years ago. I saw a video this morning taken in 2012 - not much has changed. We took a taxi from Havana to Varadero Cuba (approx. 75 miles if I remember correctly). There were no restaurants or stores -- nothing along the side of the roads except political signs here and there. At the time we were there, the only government permitted restaurants were in homes. The owners of the home cooked -- the staff was paid by the government. In the video I watched today, there are some government owned restaurants that look like restaurants.

Quite a few Canadian's visit Cuba as do people in other parts of the world. There are hotels in the tourist area (Varadero) that are quite nice. However, you may as well be visiting Malibu because it is not typical of Cuba. Cubans are not allowed there unless they work there.

IMO, the best way to see Cuba is before the embargo is lifted. Companies such as Tauck do legal tours to Cuba. They are structured to be humanitarian tours - include 3 meals a day and, from what I saw in the video -- of Havana only -- it would be interesting. Actually, we preferred places outside of Havana but did enjoy the couple of days that we spent there.

Perhaps my "vision" of what will happen when the embargo is lifted is overly negative. Since Cuba is so close to Miami, I can see every mega ship wanting to go there and students wanting to visit the all-inclusives during spring break (yuck).

I spent time in Cuba this past spring - on my list of best trips ever. A number of corrections from TC2 post - first of all, it is ONLY Americans who do not visit Cuba - the rest of the world freely travels there freely and they have some very nice resorts and some fantastic restaurants and the place has many, many tourists. Most tour companies, including Tauck, visit many parts of the island, not just Havana. The Tauck tour is quite extensive and is 15 days long. Many Universities also run trips, most of which are in the ten - sixteen day range.

Cuba is unlike any other Caribbean island - when one visits, it is quite easy to see why it was at one time considered the Paris of the Caribbean. I know there are many groups currently working to restore the architecture to the grand buildings of a century earlier.

If one really wants to visit Cuba, DO NOT plan to go by cruise ship because if you do, you will only see a very tiny fraction of an amazing country - this is one place where a land trip is absolutely necessary. Right now the ports are not set up for passenger cruise ships and it will be many, many years before anything such as that is possible, but I strongly suggest visiting soon if one wants to get a "taste" of Cuba today - once the embargo ends, things will change quickly.

BTW, there are three flights a day b/w Cuba and Miami - lots of Cubans are able to travel back and forth to and from the States. We met so many lovely Cuban people, both on our flights and in the country - truly a very unique experience, esp for Americans.

gnomie :)

Quite confused as to what you are "correcting". I did not indicate that Tauck only goes to Havana.... my comment was that the video I saw this morning (on their website) was about their tour in Havana. Also, I know that all countries(except one - forget what it is) and the U.S. are the only countries that are banned from visiting Cuba -- I didn't address that at all in my post -- just that there are a lot of Canadians and Europeans that go there.

As I mentioned, there were a lot of resorts in Veradaro but not in other places that we visited. Remember, our last trip was in 12 years ago. However, the 2012 video I saw this morning still shows the private home restaurants that are controlled by the government as well as government owned restaurants that we did not see (except in Varadero) when we were there. We stayed in Club Med (no longer there) and the all-inclusive resort Breezes (as well as a hotel in Havana). These are definitely not the places to stay when you are looking for the culture in Cuba.

Actually your post simply updated mine. It is interesting that there were still "groups currently working to restore the architecture to the grand buildings of a century earlier" as this was being done 12 years ago as well. Hope they have made progress.

While U.S. travel to and from Cuba has improved in the past 6 years (due to changes in Washington, D. C. - not trying to get political), there are still guidelines that must be followed by these tour groups in order to get permission to operate in Cuba. When we (and thousands of other U.S. citizens) visited Cuba on our own (by flying out of Canada and/or Mexico), we did not go with a group. It is an amazing place with wonderful people.

P.S. Yes -- there are some cruise lines that already go there. Here is one http://yourcubacruise.com/YourShip.aspx

Edited by Travelcat2

The policy changes yesterday did not change the categories for travel by Americans to Cuba. Unless you have relatives there, you can only visit on an "educational" program. Like described earlier, the Tauck tour meets this criteria. If you look at their itinerary, is focused on face-to-face exchanges. A single day port call wouldn't likely meet the criteria. I imagine that will change in the future, but not at the moment.

The policy changes yesterday did not change the categories for travel by Americans to Cuba. Unless you have relatives there, you can only visit on an "educational" program. Like described earlier, the Tauck tour meets this criteria. If you look at their itinerary, is focused on face-to-face exchanges. A single day port call wouldn't likely meet the criteria. I imagine that will change in the future, but not at the moment.

From what I have researched and actually seen on CNN, obama cannot unilaterally remove all of the sanctions. He can make minor changes but unless congress acts, sanctions will remain in place unless the king issues another illegal executive order.

From what I have researched and actually seen on CNN, obama cannot unilaterally remove all of the sanctions. He can make minor changes but unless congress acts, sanctions will remain in place unless the king issues another illegal executive order.

This is true but it is best not to bring politics into the situation as this is about cruising, etc. I still feel that the best time to visit (or cruise on one of the small non-U.S. based cruise lines) to Cuba is now. As mentioned on another thread, it is the people of Cuba that are most important. If you do visit, take clothing, and other items that are needed. If you can take medication, that is needed as well.

Edited by Travelcat2

This is true but it is best not to bring politics into the situation as this is about cruising, etc. I still feel that the best time to visit (or cruise on one of the small non-U.S. based cruise lines) to Cuba is now. As mentioned on another thread, it is the people of Cuba that are most important. If you do visit, take clothing, and other items that are needed. If you can take medication, that is needed as well.

Nothing political, simply stated FACTS. If you don't like those facts, don't read them.

And, why do you state it is best not to bring politics into the situation on a reply to my post yet on the Oceania Board people have gone well beyond what I accurately posted and yet while you have posted on that thread, you said nothing like what you attacked me with on that Oceania thread????

Is this a personal attack that you have oftentimes stated you don't make?? Guess this proves that even if you don't state IMO or IMHO people on CC cannot rely on what you state.

Giving your medication to others is very unwise.:(

Here is the deal regarding "bringing medication to Cuba"

This past spring I was able to visit Cuba on a "mission trip". Between my Mom and myself, we left with two large checked suitcases and two stuffed to the brim carry-ons - we came home with one carry on, everything else was left in Cuba.

In Havana there is an active Jewish community center which operates "the people's pharmacy", which relies on donations from Canada and the U.S. The pharmacy is available to the entire community. Most of the medications within the Cuban system are herbal in nature or come in from China. Cuba was completely dependent on the USSR, and since the fall of the USSR and the complete loss of economic support, China has come in but not to the same degree. There is a major shortage of all medications in Cuba. Many people coming on these mission trips stop by at Costco and pick up many of the over the counter medications. The pharmacy is overloaded with Tylenol, Advil, vitamins, cold medication, allergy medication, etc. They are in need of prescription medications, such as cardiac, diabetic, antibiotics, blood pressure, etc. My group brought suitcases full of these prescription medications, mostly samples from the drug companies, but also donations from hospitals, etc.

Pharmacists volunteer their time twice a week to operate the pharmacy and doctors throughout Havana send their patients there is the hope of getting badly needed medication. The mother of our tour guide had a nasty infection in her mouth which she was dealing with for more than six months and one of the doctors in our group gave her some antibiotics and by the time we left, she had been cured.

I am actually in the process of putting together a presentation to be used by other mission trips to advise what one should and should not bring if they visit Cuba. If one has access to a large amount of needed prescription medication, it will not go to waste in Cuba. In the U.S., if a medication is less than six months from expiration date, it will most likely be discarded, even though is is still potent and safe to use. My understanding is that all the medication we brought down is May has already been used.

gnomie :)