Independence vs. Oasis

fla gang

The Oasis is a different experience. We have sailed on her twice, and after just stepping off the Independence today, I would definitely choose Oasis. I do wish they would switch up the itinerary a little though. I generally like the Fredom class, but found on this cruise that the entertainment was not as good ( except for the Beatles Maniac show), and found the food choices to be slimmed down and some dishes came out tasteless and cold. There were a few other things that didn't sit well this trip, but every one has their own opinions.

At the end of the day, a cruise is a cruise, and I didn't have to cook!:)

The Oasis is a different experience. We have sailed on her twice, and after just stepping off the Independence today, I would definitely choose Oasis. I do wish they would switch up the itinerary a little though. I generally like the Fredom class, but found on this cruise that the entertainment was not as good ( except for the Beatles Maniac show), and found the food choices to be slimmed down and some dishes came out tasteless and cold. There were a few other things that didn't sit well this trip, but every one has their own opinions.

We sailed on Indy several weeks ago, and loved it. We enjoyed Allure when we sailed on her last summer....but for me, Oasis class is just too big. When I look at the differences is what to do (On Oasis, I did go on the carousel a few times) and we did enjoy the Aqua Show a great deal. It is not as if it, has so many more things for this adult to do, over a Freedom class ship. Both classes have the Flowrider, which I love. Yes, the entertainment is different, no Broadway type show on Indy or her sisters in that class.

I always wonder when I read about food being delivered cold. If it were me, I would send it back and my suspicion is, in the future, the waiter would make sure that did not happen again to you. I personally don't like food scalding hot....too difficult to eat anyway. On our cruise, I can't say anything was tasteless.....some tastes I may not have liked (but that is something else) -- I do tend to try things on cruises that I might not ordinarily eat.

Did you have a band that played in the Pyramid lounge? We had the final cruise for a band called, Rock the Boat and they were outstanding. They had been on Indy for 7 years, and now are on vacation and going to Anthem on their new contract. So curious who has replaced them on the ship.

We were on the Indy Jan of 2014 and on the Oasis Feb 2015. We have been on the Indy 3 times and are going back in November again. We personally like the Allure better than the Oasis (I know they're sister ships, but crew, officers do make a difference).

The Indy is more relaxing -- we like not having to make reservations and just sunning sitting by the poolside. The cabins are a bit bigger. The ice show is better than any show I've seen on other ships. We liked the cruise director who did a wonderful job with Quest and other activities. We loved Rock the Boat. Both are gone so I am curious to see how it will change.

II'm sure we're going to have a blast on our Nov cruise on the Independence this November. I don't shop on ships anymore so I wouldn't be able to give you any info about that.

Edited by nednrom

We were on the Indy Jan of 2014 and on the Oasis Feb 2015. We have been on the Indy 3 times and are going back in November again. We personally like the Allure better than the Oasis (I know they're sister ships, but crew, officers do make a difference).

The Indy is more relaxing -- we like not having to make reservations and just sunning sitting by the poolside. The cabins are a bit bigger. The ice show is better than any show I've seen on other ships. We liked the cruise director who did a wonderful job with Quest and other activities. We loved Rock the Boat. Both are gone so I am curious to see how it will change.

II'm sure we're going to have a blast on our Nov cruise on the Independence this November. I don't shop on ships anymore so I wouldn't be able to give you any info about that.

Lots of things do have an impact on a cruise and as you mention crew and officers do. I will agree with you that we had more space in our Indy cabin especially more drawer space for clothes. After our Allure cruise last summer, I bought a hanging rack (that hangs in the closet from the rod) that can give us the equivalent of 3 extra drawers. I did not need it on Indy, but it is in the outside pocket of suitcase and now part of our 'cruise luggage'.

A Cruise Director, the Activity Manager and the rest of the entertainment staff do have an impact on my fun, for sure. They never can ruin a cruise, but they surely can have a positive impact -- some people disagree.

We were on Rock the Boat for the last cruise that they did on Indy....they were wonderful....after their vacation, they head to Anthem.

Been on Oasis, Allure and Independence. Our Indy cruse was he best of the three. For *us,* Oasis-twins were too crowded and passengers a bit rude (cutting in line, blocking stairs / hallways, mad dash for seats @ shows, etc..) Indy was a bit more laid back, I like the pool areas much better -- just an overall more relaxing vacation. Shows were good too. Will be interesting to see what act replaces the "Rock The Boat" band who were a wonderful draw.

We booked Indy again. Oasis and Allure are astounding ships but it would have to a be a killer deal or itinerary to make me book them. Just my .02 cents.

PS - I saw some of the negative Indy reviews a while back too. They in no way reflected our experience.

Been on Oasis, Allure and Independence. Our Indy cruse was he best of the three. For *us,* Oasis-twins were too crowded and passengers a bit rude (cutting in line, blocking stairs / hallways, mad dash for seats @ shows, etc..) Indy was a bit more laid back, I like the pool areas much better -- just an overall more relaxing vacation. Shows were good too. Will be interesting to see what act replaces the "Rock The Boat" band who were a wonderful draw.

We booked Indy again. Oasis and Allure are astounding ships but it would have to a be a killer deal or itinerary to make me book them. Just my .02 cents.

PS - I saw some of the negative Indy reviews a while back too. They in no way reflected our experience.

I can't say that our Allure cruise felt crowded, because it did not. We enjoyed time sitting in Central Park, we had a balcony overlooking CP and enjoyed listening to live music while on our balcony at times. I enjoyed the Carousel (went on it 5 or 6X), enjoyed the Aqua Show....and a lot of our time on the Promenade if not the pool deck....and when we did Indy, we spent a lot of time on the Promenade or pool deck. Did I miss the roast beef sandwiches on Indy, no. They were good on Allure, but not missed on Indy.

We loved Rock the Boat on Indy....but did not choose Indy for the entertainment....although having read about them from other past cruisers on Indy -- I surely enjoyed them...and feel bad that to enjoy them it will take being on Anthem in the future.

In the end....I am like the Freedom class a great deal....and had a wonderful cruise on Indy. Prior to going, I was a little concerned reading some of the reviews on Indy, that were somewhat negative. It just reinforces to me -- what one cruisers perceives as negative, may have NO bearing on someone elses cruise.

I will be interested to read about the new band on Indy, playing in Pyramid lounge though!

As you can see from my signature I have sailed all classes. I sailed Oasis in the inaugural season. We were a group of 30 plus. While it was exciting to sail Oasis, most people like the Explorer class or Freedom class. There was too much pre planning that had to be done on Oasis. Reservations for shows/restaurants. It didn't leave much room for spontaneous activities. We just sailed IOS in Feb and loved it. Clean/good activities/shows and the staff was the best I had encountered in a long time. We did the 6 day. The ports were good although we had been to them before, wouldn't hesitate to book again.

PS we went from Oasis to Majesty in the same year. The cruise experience is what you make it!

As you can see from my signature I have sailed all classes. I sailed Oasis in the inaugural season. We were a group of 30 plus. While it was exciting to sail Oasis, most people like the Explorer class or Freedom class. There was too much pre planning that had to be done on Oasis. Reservations for shows/restaurants. It didn't leave much room for spontaneous activities. We just sailed IOS in Feb and loved it. Clean/good activities/shows and the staff was the best I had encountered in a long time. We did the 6 day. The ports were good although we had been to them before, wouldn't hesitate to book again.

PS we went from Oasis to Majesty in the same year. The cruise experience is what you make it!

Yes, indeed -- the cruise experience is what you make it. We also were on Indy this past February, on the 8 day itinerary which departed on the Valentine's Day. Had a ball....great staff and crew....full of activities and fun things to do. We have enjoyed our cruises on Her Majesty as much as when we went on her much bigger sister Allure.

Believe me, the entertainment was defintiely an improvement over what it was the last time we sailed Indy but not by much. I just do not like Indy's production shows and I really dislike "Invitation to Dance." I didn't go anywehere near that show last week. "Strings" is an ok ice show but hardly RCI's best. Someone on this thread posted that they like it better than the ice shows on Oasis and Allure. Oh well, I just disagree with them. And I agree with you, the Beatles Maniac show was very good. That was the step up in entertainment over our last cruise on this ship.