Independence vs. Oasis

fla gang

It only seemed to be on the Independence that the onboard shops and selection were changed (I have cruised on three other Med cruises which had the normal sets of shops and products).

I personally didn't find the stores all that different, but the onboard 'store' had a lot of UK brands instead of US brands, for instance, all of the UK chocolate brands (Mars products, including Mars bars and Galaxy chocolate etc). They didn't seem to have as many collectible souvenirs but I did end up with some nice RC t-shirts and a lanyard which I liked. They had a handbag store and jewelry store etc (can you tell I'm not a brand shopper?!) and of course every day and evening they had the tables out on the Royal Promenande with tons of things for sale (I ended up with a lovely little Guess wallet and some jewelry gift sets for family at a real bargain price!).

I wouldn't sweat it too much. I live in the UK but I am from the US, I have cruised with RC on the Med both when living in the US & the UK--I personally found Independence to be an absolutely beautiful ship (and you can see in my signatures everything I've cruised).

Someone recently mentioned that some of the staff in the MDR weren't as chatty, well I've found that to be true on my last three cruises, so I wouldn't class that as being an Independence problem in particular.

Thank you very much for adding some clarification (from you POV, was fine) as to this issue of Americanization of the onboard shopping. I have NO intention of sweating it at all -- I am not much of a shopper, anyway. I just could not imagine what could be so different from the European cruiser to the more American cruiser.

I would find it fascinating to see some UK brands, so what....it works both ways. It isn't as if you are going to return the merchandise weeks later.

I am hoping they have a decent logo store on board. I happen to like the Royal Caribbean shorts....they are well made and last a long time. I finally need to replace a pair I bought quite a few years ago.

I look forward to my cruise on Indy....expecting to like it as much as I did cruising on her sister ship, Liberty a few years ago.

This post from ahecht's review in 2013 describes what I meant pretty well. Click on that link to see the rest of the post's pictures, but the basic content is:

The big thing to me is that there wasn't as much in the way of the kinds of souvenirs I would expect to find onboard a cruise ship in the Caribbean.

I really hope they put the Logo Shop back where it belongs now that Indy is staying in the US. And I hope they do it quickly before I'm back on board in February.

• 1 month later...

Cruised on Indy for the 8 day itinerary on 2/14/15. We had a great time. We have not cruised on Oasis, but did cruise last summer on Allure -- and we all know they are for the most part the same.

I enjoyed Indy much more. Yes, it doesn't have a Broadway show, but it did have an outstanding band and a terrific headliner and a good comedian. Wonderful Ice Show as well. Entertainment staff was very personable and friendly as was the crew. We had a very nice and attentive cabin steward and wonderful dining room service. Maître D arranged for a friend to change from MTD to our table on the 4th night, because our friends did not enjoy MTD.

Lots to do. I love the Freedom class.....and enjoyed the fact that I knew I was on a ship....which when we were on Allure, felt more like a 'city vacation' than a cruise. Freedom class is big enough for me -- although I am sure we will eventually go on Harmony, because of the waterslide it has for adults.

For the next few years, I don't need bigger than Freedom, no rush for Harmony, at all.

Paulette, thanks for the update. We will be on Indy in a few weeks and can't wait. Can you address the previously logo shop discussion? Have the shops been changed over or is still handbag & jewelry stores. My family will be disappointed if they can't get an Indy ship model, refrigerator magnet and christmas ornament.

My preference is Oasis class for these reasons:

- more shows (Aqua Theater) and better Broadway shows.

- I love the additional space with the Boardwalk and Central Park -- really makes the ship feel less crowded.

- The separate deck for the walking / jogging track is also great as you don't have to dodge around people.

- Number of specialty restaurants. We prefer to avoid the main dining room and can eat at a different restaurant every night.

- Internet: we cruise more often now and I trade stocks / options for a living. The internet on Oasis class is great for doing some trading during the week to pay for the cruise. Hopefully this makes it way to other ships.

Paulette, thanks for the update. We will be on Indy in a few weeks and can't wait. Can you address the previously logo shop discussion? Have the shops been changed over or is still handbag & jewelry stores. My family will be disappointed if they can't get an Indy ship model, refrigerator magnet and christmas ornament.

I am not a big shopper on vacations at all.....let me warn you. They do have the some typical high end including Michael Kors and other jewelry shops on board. They did have Indy ship models, magnet and ornaments. They have plenty of coffee cups and logo items....we generally pickup a shirt....not big shoppers at all.

Have a great time!

My preference is Oasis class for these reasons:

- more shows (Aqua Theater) and better Broadway shows.

- I love the additional space with the Boardwalk and Central Park -- really makes the ship feel less crowded.

- The separate deck for the walking / jogging track is also great as you don't have to dodge around people.

- Number of specialty restaurants. We prefer to avoid the main dining room and can eat at a different restaurant every night.

- Internet: we cruise more often now and I trade stocks / options for a living. The internet on Oasis class is great for doing some trading during the week to pay for the cruise. Hopefully this makes it way to other ships.

The Oasis class ships are nice....and you have a very specific need for 'better Internet service'. I don't avoid the MDR, even though I do enjoy Izumi, which unfortunately Indy doesn't have....did I miss Izumi when we were on Indy....actually no....because the MDR was absolutely terrific.

On Indy, I can say we only felt the crowd leaving the ice show, and perhaps after the Quest game, but that was a hoot for sure anyway.

I look forward to cruising on Navigator in November on a slightly smaller ship than Indy was...bigger isn't always better.

We have done the Oasis the last two years and this year we plan to do the Independence. Have read some reviews where people didn't care for the Independence. What did you not like, also what is the Headliner show on Independence?

We have also done the same thing, 4 cruises on Oasis, and now booked on IOS, and are wondering exactly what you are.

We love the Oasis class ships and hope we will not be disappointed in IOS.

Whatever it is like I will be thrilled to be back on a ship again.

We haven't been on Oasis or Allure...yet. But we went from Freedom to Navigator and found the only real noticeable difference in size was the width of the Promenade but it wasn't significant enough to change our enjoyment of the ship. It does make the parades more crowded though.

Indy does not have a Logo Shop like it used to but things have improved since we were last aboard (I'm sitting in the Diamond lounge as I type this). They have now split the big alcohol/tobacco shop with Logo items and General Store items. I would just note that all the t-shirts in the shop right now are size small. Yeah, that make perfect sense on a cruise ship. They do have ship models and other stuff including some magnets but it is still nothing like the old Logo Shop that used to be on the ship.

Indy does not have a Logo Shop like it used to but things have improved since we were last aboard (I'm sitting in the Diamond lounge as I type this). They have now split the big alcohol/tobacco shop with Logo items and General Store items. I would just note that all the t-shirts in the shop right now are size small. Yeah, that make perfect sense on a cruise ship. They do have ship models and other stuff including some magnets but it is still nothing like the old Logo Shop that used to be on the ship.

Any clotted cream items?;)

If you are able, can you run a speedtest on the Internet speed either via http://www.speedtest.net or by the Speedtest iOS app (app is by Ookla).

Thanks in advance.

Download at 0.26 bps and upload at 0.15 bps. I think that qualifies as "sucks", right??

Thanks for running this. I'm hoping it is 0.26 Mbps (versus bps). Definitely slower than the 2.0 Mbps I had on Allure in November but it would be bearable.

On all the sailings that I have been (and many others have taken more cruises), I have never seen a shop on board that was labeled a 'logo shop'.....It seemed more of a general merchandise type of store with everything from candy to bags to clothing, inexpensive costume jewelry to cute nick nacks. Some ships perhaps have a larger supply of identifiably labeled ship merchandise, and others less. When we were on Indy several weeks ago, they had plenty of sizes in most of the shirts. I guess at times they run low, and are waiting for more merchandise.

On all the sailings that I have been (and many others have taken more cruises), I have never seen a shop on board that was labeled a 'logo shop'.....It seemed more of a general merchandise type of store with everything from candy to bags to clothing, inexpensive costume jewelry to cute nick nacks. Some ships perhaps have a larger supply of identifiably labeled ship merchandise, and others less. When we were on Indy several weeks ago, they had plenty of sizes in most of the shirts. I guess at times they run low, and are waiting for more merchandise.

Considering the dates that you sailed, I find it hard to believe that Liberty and Navigator did not both have a shop called the "Logo" shop. Navigator certainly did when we last sailed on the ship 3 years ago. All the Voyager and Freedom ships had them and they were dedicated to RCI logo items. I will have to look at my pictures when I get home to see if Serenade had one. I have not sailed on any Sovereign class ships... and don't intend to.

Thanks for running this. I'm hoping it is 0.26 Mbps (versus bps). Definitely slower than the 2.0 Mbps I had on Allure in November but it would be bearable.

I rechecked and, yes, sorry I left out the "M" when I typed the last post. It is "Mbps". Sorry for the mistype on my last post.

Edited by Ocean Boy

At least it's better than the old dial-up modem ... but not by much!

Considering the dates that you sailed, I find it hard to believe that Liberty and Navigator did not both have a shop called the "Logo" shop. Navigator certainly did when we last sailed on the ship 3 years ago. All the Voyager and Freedom ships had them and they were dedicated to RCI logo items. I will have to look at my pictures when I get home to see if Serenade had one. I have not sailed on any Sovereign class ships... and don't intend to.

Our first cruise ever was on Navigator.....to be perfectly honest, I remember almost nothing about it, other than we had a good time. Since I am not much of a shopper (on land or at sea), I might not notice a sign that said "Logo Shop".....people in Marketing probably hate a person like me, to be honest.

Would there have been a shop with 'logo merchandise' -- I am sure there was. I always love looking through them to see what might interest me.

On our first Her Majesty cruise they had a small pouch on a lanyard that I bought with the Her Majesty name emblazoned across it. I always carry my sea pass in it, regardless of the ship we are on.....I have never seen this type of small pouch w/lanyard ever again.

So I notice the store carrying the logo merchandise....just maybe not the sign "Logo Shop".

Our family of 5 went on FOS (summer 2013) and Oasis (summer 2014). We have 3 teens and they had a great time on FOS. Then, we went on Oasis and they were blown away with all of the neighborhoods and entertainment options and food options. I think if it were just my husband and me cruising, we would be just as happy on a smaller ship. We also felt the entertainment on Oasis was better. But, now that we have experienced it, would we even attend the same shows again? Oasis is getting CATS now, but I bet most of the entertainment is the same.

My teens would still definitely prefer the Oasis class.

I've sailed Allure, Freedom and Indy. Freedom class wins hands down for us. Check out the review of my recent 8-day on Indy.

I am getting an invalid error when trying to open your review of Indy. Would you kindly repost.

Thank you.