Rolling the 'price dice'...

msmayor

Egads, what I have I done :). Ok, over the years we have had folks ask us which agencies we use (our list is always changing with the times) and we have often provided our own recommendations (privately). But I am thinking that doing so is defeating the spirit of Cruise Critic. We are also cognizant that an agency we might like, might be hated by others. For example, DW and I need little "hand holding" and will often book an expensive long cruise (say 60 days) with a few clicks of the mouse! Other folks might want to be on the phone with a real live travel agent for hours just trying to choose a cabin or a particular cruise, whereas we seldom spend more then 5 minutes talking to anyone when we book a cruise.

So I will dispense some personal recommendations right here, without specifically recommending any particular agency. One can certainly Google "discount cruise agencies" and start working through the list. Check out agencies with the Better Business Bureau (easily done on their web site) and read the specific complaints filed against any agency. Google an agencies name to see if anything negative pops up....with the realization that not every negative comment is valid.

Once you have paired down your personal list take a good look at each agencies web site. Read the fine print, the FAQs, make a note about any agency cancellation or rebooking penalties, etc. We used to also suggest looking at the working hours (and days) of agencies, but in recent years one of our favorite agencies has somewhat limited hours (and days) so perhaps that is not a great test :). We also use mostly agencies whose online booking engine flows directly into the cruise line's own reservations system. This means that you get an immediate cruise line "Booking/Reservation Number" and can almost instantly go onto the cruise line's own web site and check your reservation.

And lastly, once you have identified some agencies of interest go ahead and register with these agencies so you are e-mailed their special promotions (often not available publicy). If you do not want to be flooded with tons of cruise e-mails go ahead and set up a special e-mail account (you can easily do this for free with places like G-Mail).

This all sounds like a lot of work and initially it is! But over a period of years you will eventually develop your own "short list" of favored agencies who have proven themselves over time.

We also like to ask fellow cruisers (when on cruises) how they book their trips. Many good tips/tricks can come from fellow cruisers. While it is not generally accepted to ask folks how much they paid for a cruise, it is absolutely acceptable to ask them which agencies they prefer and why.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

To update...as you can see by my signature, we ended up booking the Westerdam. Got a price (total...with insurance) about $160/day for two. We're very happy with that price.

We took HAL's platinum so we can cancel for any reason. I know not all agree with the insurance but now that a blizzard is headed into my area of the country its nice to know that if weather prevents us from getting into FLL in six weeks, we get a good chunk of our investment back.

I watched the prices of all the RCL ships we were looking at go UP in the last week. The HAL cruise is a day or two longer than the RCL trips for less money, so we're content. Our PCC at HAL got us a price less than the website currently shows.

First time I've ever had two cruises booked at the same time...and first time I've been able to START a countdown with so few days to go. Its always been well over 300 days...

To update...as you can see by my signature, we ended up booking the Westerdam. Got a price (total...with insurance) about $160/day for two. We're very happy with that price.

We took HAL's platinum so we can cancel for any reason. I know not all agree with the insurance but now that a blizzard is headed into my area of the country its nice to know that if weather prevents us from getting into FLL in six weeks, we get a good chunk of our investment back.

I watched the prices of all the RCL ships we were looking at go UP in the last week. The HAL cruise is a day or two longer than the RCL trips for less money, so we're content. Our PCC at HAL got us a price less than the website currently shows.

First time I've ever had two cruises booked at the same time...and first time I've been able to START a countdown with so few days to go. Its always been well over 300 days...

Excellent. I always buy the cancel for any reason. Lost my job last week so I have an out for my cruise with princess but I'll likely go anyway. My parents are elderly so if need be I can cancel for water ever reason. Enjoy your cruise.

... Our PCC at HAL got us a price less than the website currently shows...

Would like to get some advice how to get this. My PCC always just quotes me the same price I can get from HAL website after I log-in ... or should I start looking for a different PCC? :o

Would like to get some advice how to get this. My PCC always just quotes me the same price I can get from HAL website after I log-in ... or should I start looking for a different PCC? :o

I wonder if the op gets "special pricing" and didn't sign into the website to get it. I can't imagine how the PCC would be able to get anything better than the usual pricing.

I wonder if the op gets "special pricing" and didn't sign into the website to get it. I can't imagine how the PCC would be able to get anything better than the usual pricing.

I'm not sure how the lower price was available. I did check pricing both before and after signing in...it was identical. My PCC quoted me $50pp less.

Its a guarantee, so no idea yet where our stateroom is. To quote my husband..."who cares, we'll be on the ship!"

I'm not sure how the lower price was available. I did check pricing both before and after signing in...it was identical. My PCC quoted me $50pp less.

Its a guarantee, so no idea yet where our stateroom is. To quote my husband..."who cares, we'll be on the ship!"

Thanks. We also did GTY last time and received assignment a few days after booking (less than 10 days before sail date). Then I saw the price for a verandah (VH) GTY has dropped since I last checked and I just need to pay a bit more to upgrade myself ... plus getting OBC. I called PCC but got voicemail so called main customer service line instead. We paid the price difference, and told her our preference (near forward elevator) and we got a VB assigned right away on the phone. Then 4 days before sail date we got the suite upsell email. Very good value but by the time I call back all suite were gone.

Thanks. We also did GTY last time and received assignment a few days after booking (less than 10 days before sail date). Then I saw the price for a verandah (VH) GTY has dropped since I last checked and I just need to pay a bit more to upgrade myself ... plus getting OBC. I called PCC but got voicemail so called main customer service line instead. We paid the price difference, and told her our preference (near forward elevator) and we got a VB assigned right away on the phone. Then 4 days before sail date we got the suite upsell email. Very good value but by the time I call back all suite were gone.

That sounds awesome! Not sure we would upgrade if prices in the categories above us drop; it depends on how much to upgrade. We're trying to keep this trip economical (splurging on Vegas in the fall!).

I'm just happy to be getting on another ship. We cruised last year at this time after a hectic holiday season for me (I work retail) and a tough year end for my husband (he does financial reporting) so by the time March rolls around we are both burnt out. Unhooking from the real world and heading to sea is a great way for us to recover.

Good for you for snagging a good offer.

Our experience across several lines is that pricing can actually go down for as short a time as one day and then shoot back up.

We hVe been very fortunate...all of our guy cabins have been reasonable and most have been very good.

I've had much better luck with HAL guarantees (assigned many price levels higher - within the room type, such as outside double) than with Celebrity guarantees, where we've been given the exact low category we paid for and some not-great rooms. (Fair enough, not complaining - sometimes you get what you pay for, sometimes more.)

Edited by Caribbean Chris

We have only had one gty assignment that we did not care for. It was on Carnival.

But, our TA has us 'put back in the pool' and we were subsequently assigned a much better cabin. Not certain if this is the norm, or perhaps just a Carnival option. We have never had one that we did not like on any other cruise line, including HAL.

• 5 weeks later...

Another update....

About a week or so after booking, got a call for an upsell...$300 total for a verandah guarantee. That would bring the per person price to $599, about what we paid for an inside guarantee on our last RCL cruise. But THIS was for a verandah...and I've never had a verandah before...so I splurged. Current prices for verandah guarantee at the time were $799 and for picking your own the prices were $989-1089, so in my mind a very good deal.

I checked my account almost every day waiting and waiting for that assignment. It showed up yesterday....VB!!! And its an aft VB, so I'll have an awesome view of the wake and a larger balcony.

I am even more excited now!! My husband will be so surprised...keeping it a secret. He still thinks we are in an inside!!

Thanks for checking back in, and congrats on a wonderful upsell! We are in a similar situation, sailing a few weeks after you. It is helpful to hear how the timing works on the guarantee cabins.

Enjoy your cruise, your husband's surprise, and a warm and relaxing vacation!

Another update....

About a week or so after booking, got a call for an upsell...$300 total for a verandah guarantee. That would bring the per person price to $599, about what we paid for an inside guarantee on our last RCL cruise. But THIS was for a verandah...and I've never had a verandah before...so I splurged. Current prices for verandah guarantee at the time were $799 and for picking your own the prices were $989-1089, so in my mind a very good deal.

I checked my account almost every day waiting and waiting for that assignment. It showed up yesterday....VB!!! And its an aft VB, so I'll have an awesome view of the wake and a larger balcony.

I am even more excited now!! My husband will be so surprised...keeping it a secret. He still thinks we are in an inside!!

Congratulations! He's going to be mighty surprised and you'll have a wonderful time.