Just back from Papeete to Fiji 13 night cruise

Vacationv

There is something special about a ship when almost half of the 280 passengers are repeaters on a cruise line that sails very limited itineraries.

This was our second time sailing on the Paul Gauguin in four years. First we did a two week Tahiti, Society Islands/Marquesas itinerary. This May we wanted to see some new ports. We booked one way from Papeete to Fiji- 13 night itinerary, cut short a night by crossing the International Date Line.

We have been frequent Celebrity cruisers but as we get more seasoned traveling the world, we are scaling down to smaller ships like the Paul Gauguin, Seabourn. There is nothing better than visiting a small village or port on a small ship. The alternative is disembarking with hoards of thousands of people from multiple goliath ships.

Paul Gauguin does it right. The service is TOP NOTCH. It’s on par with the attention to detail we saw on Seabourn. In the dining venues, waiters made a point to get to know our name, our preferences and they made us feel special. We especially like the country club casual dress code. As crazy as it may sound, we wouldn’t be opposed to shorts or jeans. We are simply not formal night folks and not having to dress up on our vacation is very appealing.

Food choices were wide and the quality was outstanding. If improvement could be made, we recommend more variety at their lunchtime menu, as the same menu and warmed over buffet offerings became tiresome. But for sure, Paul Gauguin is on target at breakfast and dinner. The food is fresh, well presented, portioned just right and delicious. The service gets high marks.

We upgraded to a larger verandah cabin (807- forward) and were very happy with the comfortable bed and ample storage and balcony area. If you are susceptible to sea sickness, pick a cabin mid-ship and an itinerary with fewer sea days. The Paul Gauguin rides well in gentle lagoons. She was built to sail the shallow blue waters of French Polynesia. She is prone to motion in open waters. I highly recommend the latest versions of the Trans-dermal sea-sick patches which are very effective these days compared to the earlier versions years ago.

We read reviews that some cabins were noisy and hot. We did NOT find that to be the case. Noise levels in the aft will likely diminish after the ship’s scheduled dry dock early this summer. Reportedly engine repairs are planned to alleviate a strong vibration which plagues the aft dining venues and cabins. The ship underwent a $7 million refurbishment in 2012, and we found her to be in great condition and well maintained.

While the television programming was limited and repetitive, including too much FOX News, the Guest Relations desk provided FREE DVDs of movies, which was a welcome addition to the onboard entertainment. Overall, entertainment was not memorable. Les Gauguines, local heritage singers and dancers, were as always, a wonderful addition to the cruise. The cruise director, Steve Wood, was seldom seen and his stage show was dated and “lounge-lizard like. A guest singer from France did not measure up to professional status and some walked out early in each of his shows. He just wasn’t a good singer. Surprisingly, the Filipino band and singer also fell flat. Their playlist of was dated and repetitive and their musical skills need some work. This was the first band from the Philippines I’ve heard that wasn’t very good.

The lectures were interesting and enjoyable. We knew the evening shows would be lackluster on a small ship so we opted to watch movies in our cabin. HELPFUL HINT: We always download movies on my laptop before we cruise and bring our own HDMI cable from home. Many ships at sea today have a port in the back of the TV to plug in a HDMI cable, which plugs into your laptop or video player. Bringing your own movies guarantees you’ll have handpicked video entertainment if you are not big party person late nights. If you aren’t familiar with an HDMI cable, ask your kids or seek the advice of a salesman at a big box electronics store. A cheap cable should cost you less than $30 or you can bring one from your TV at home.

We especially like the “all inclusive” atmosphere on this ship. Fares include all gratuities, most alcoholic beverages, soft drinks, and all of the fine dining venues. It’s anytime dining on this ship with complimentary 24-hour room service and water sports.

After sailing two different itineraries, we much preferred the beautiful and unforgettable islands of Tahiti, The Society Islands and Marquesas. Fiji, The Cook Islands and Tonga were interesting and pretty, but just don’t match the “life changing” beauty of French Polynesia.

Make sure you add a day or two pre or post cruise and stay at one of the over-water resorts in Tahiti. We booked two nights at the Hilton on Moorea. I highly recommend their lagoon rooms which are built over the water and offer incredible views. Food is pricey but not unexpected when booking a remote property. This is bucket list stuff for sure.

The average age on our cruise was probably 65, but we were delighted to see some younger couples and professional people that made for a fun cruise. Personally, I think kids would be restless on this ship, without the usual kid’s club type of facilities.

The tender system was efficient and timely. We booked our own activities so I can’t comment on the ship’s tours. We prefer to “do our own thing” which grants us the freedom to tour on our on schedule. We usually find it’s less expensive to make our own arrangements. When we are tired and ready to call it a day, we simply ask the driver to take us back to the ship rather than being part of a captive audience on a motor coach.

Paul Gauguin is not a cheap cruise, but it is worth every dollar spent. If you have the financial means, book a Business Class seat on Air Tahiti Nui or Fiji Air. They have nice service and it’s much more comfortable up front. This cruise line frequently offers discounts off of their brochure rates. It’s worth the investment for a voyage you will never forget.

Like I said in the beginning- many on our cruise were sailing Paul Gauguin for the second or third time. They obviously have enjoyed the experience too.

Next stop, Azamara Cruise line from Dubai to Turkey in March, 2015. Can’t wait for our next experience at sea!

Great review.

I sometimes think maybe we PG lovers are responsible for raising expectations too high or the PG needs a certain type of personality to appreciate it. That's why it's backbone are it's repeaters.

You will enjoy Azamara. It reminds me of the former Radisson. Great service and good food. The suites there are very comfortable though cabins are small. I did a similar itinerary to what you are doing last year on Regent.

Hi vacationv:

I noticed your comment about Fiji.

"After sailing two different itineraries, we much preferred the beautiful and unforgettable islands of Tahiti, The Society Islands and Marquesas. Fiji, The Cook Islands and Tonga were interesting and pretty, but just don’t match the “life changing” beauty of French Polynesia."

We are deciding on whether to do "just" the 7 night Tahiti cruise or the 12/13 night cruise that includes Fiji as well.

How rough were the sailing days in the "open" ocean? I have been sea sick on the Alaska cruise we took and when we took our last cruise to Bermuda, I used the patch and was much better.

Anyway, your comments are much appreciated:

Thank you very much:

I appreciate reading your in-depth review. My wife and I will be staying in cabin 807 on the August 30th cruise so it's good to know that you were pleased with the room. We also upgraded to Business Class on Air Tahiti Nui and were wondering if the (significant!) extra cost was worth it. Good to know that you think it is. It's a long flight so we want to make sure we do it right!

EDIT Wow I looked at your cruise history and see you've been on a few! Even better now knowing that you liked the PG cruise. I'm sure the wife and I will love it.

Edited by Espi

Wow- did you get seasick on the "inside passage" cruise? There are only a few hours of open sea on that route.

Listen, I've crossed both oceans and they were glass. Yet we have been hit with 18 foot waves in the Med. out of nowhere. The sea has a mind of her own and you just never know.

If you are prone to motion sickness, personally, I would stick to the 14 night Tahiti, Society Islands, Marquesas cruise. Less sea days and more protected water. PLUS, this area is more beautiful in my humble opinion than the ports of call on the Fiji, Tonga itinerary. It's also cheaper to get a round trip from Papeete. If you decided to only do the 7 night cruise, spend some days before, after or both, in one of the over the water hotels like the Hilton Moorea.

The patches really helped us, but since we had a forward cabin on deck 8, we did feel some motion on several nights and honestly, it wasn't that rough. Perhaps 8 foot swells.

Have fun either way.

"We also upgraded to Business Class on Air Tahiti Nui and were wondering if the (significant!) extra cost was worth it. Good to know that you think it is. It's a long flight so we want to make sure we do it right!"

I'm ashamed to admit we fly First Class on domestic flights too. I'm a bit claustrophobic and I have much less anxiety upfront. If you are flying from LAX back east- DELTA has a red eye to Atlanta with Flat Bed Seats in First Class. Really takes the edge off.

Air Tahiti Nui is not a complete flat bed, but it's MUCH more comfortable than coach without a doubt. :)

We really liked 807. It is on the same deck as the pool and the grill. Right near the elevators and VERY convenient. But it is FORWARD so you get a bit more of the rocking and rolling.

I'm ashamed to admit we fly First Class on domestic flights too. I'm a bit claustrophobic and I have much less anxiety upfront. If you are flying from LAX back east- DELTA has a red eye to Atlanta with Flat Bed Seats in First Class. Really takes the edge off.

Air Tahiti Nui is not a complete flat bed, but it's MUCH more comfortable than coach without a doubt. :)

We really liked 807. It is on the same deck as the pool and the grill. Right near the elevators and VERY convenient. But it is FORWARD so you get a bit more of the rocking and rolling.

We're flying first class Delta from Tampa to LAX--back and forth. I didn't know Delta had the flat beds! Hopefully they have them on ALL of their planes. I Googled several reviews of the their 1st class service features and didn't recall any websites mentioning the beds. I'm happy just knowing we'll get free drinks and maybe a good hot meal. I'm not fond of flying so I insisted to my wife that we fly 1st class all the way. It's the only thing that makes me actually look forward to flying.

How about your butler? What was his name and what was your impression? I'm thinking we'll have the same person.

Edited by Espi

We also had Abner as our Butler. He was great.

The flatbed seats are on the RED EYE FROM LAX TO ATL.

They MAY also have them LAX to NYC, but not sure.

Look for the flat bed icon on the flight details on Delta.com

Usually these are planes that will go on later in the day to Europe.

"We also upgraded to Business Class on Air Tahiti Nui and were wondering if the (significant!) extra cost was worth it. Good to know that you think it is. It's a long flight so we want to make sure we do it right!"

I don't think there is anything to be ashamed of. We typically fly first class on all but the shortest domestic flights (where there usually only a single class of service anyhow). If it fits your travel budget, go for it!

While there is nothing to be ashamed of enjoying the nicer things in life flaunting it seems very nouveau riche to me!

I didn't read into it that either of the previous posters were flaunting anything. It's no different than saying one flies business on ATN which only has two classes of service.

I didn't read into it that either of the previous posters were flaunting anything. It's no different than saying one flies business on ATN which only has two classes of service.

Yes that is true of the previous two posters and my comment was made in general and not directed towards them.

• 4 weeks later...
Lets here some more, maybe about your excursions :)

We are going on the 2015 reverse cruise and I would love to hear about any excursions you did. I have been to Cooks before and know I want to go back to One foot island but after that I am at a lose.

Did you stay any where in Fiji for your pre-cruise?

We are going on the 2015 reverse cruise and I would love to hear about any excursions you did. I have been to Cooks before and know I want to go back to One foot island but after that I am at a lose.

Did you stay any where in Fiji for your pre-cruise?

Never been to Fiji

Have been to Aitutaki 4 times, be happy to share if you have questions.

Our pre-cruise was actually in TAHITI at the Hilton Moorea. We LOVED the over water bungalows. It's something you should do at least once in life, even though it isn't cheap.

But in the grand scheme of things, the extra price isn't that crazy in light of what you are already spending for the cruise and air. :)

Our POST cruise was at the Fiji Resort by Hilton near Nadi. This is about a 25 minute cab ride from the Nadi airport and about 40 minutes from the port. BEAUTIFUL property with condo type accommodations, fantastic pools, multiple restaurants including an amazing Asian fusion place.

After taking both the 14 night Tahiti, Society Islands, Marquesas itinerary and the 14 night Tahiti-Cook Islands, Tonga and Fiji cruise, I think I would do the first one. Personal preference of course, but we really enjoyed the Tahiti, Society Islands and Marquesas itinerary the most. The seas were not rough on the way to Fiji and the Fiji islands are very nice, just not as physically beautify in our minds as the first itinerary.

If I were traveling that far, I would for sure opt for a 14 night rather than a seven night, no matter which itinerary. THIS IS A LIFE CHANGING CRUISE!

HAVE FUN.

I too would prefer the Marquesas to the Fiji trip.

Though my suggestion to any new cruiser is to take the 10 day Tuamotu as its a nice mix of islands and Atolls. If you add that to 3 days in Moorea or BB its a lovely trip.

We have also been on both cruises. The Marquesas trip was our first on the PG & we absolutely loved it. The scenery is fantastic & the opportunity to visit seldom seen islands is unique. Marc Eddows aboard added to the experience.

The Fiji/Tonga/Cook/Society Islands was great also. My husband had been in Fiji on a research vessel many years ago & I wanted to visit. Also, we had spent a week in Vava'u in 1990 with our youngest son (16 at the time). It was a wonderful week for us & I wanted to see the changes (some for the better, some not so - oh well). We enjoyed that voyage also. Marc Eddows was aboard again & also Jean-Michel Cousteau.

The trips are both excellent - depends on your interests. I would be happy to repeat the Marquesas trip; probably once enough on the Fiji route.

The shortest voyage I would consider is one of the 10 day trips - not thrilled with long flights, so I like to stay at least that long. Actually, both of the trips we have taken were 14 nights (Marquesas) & 13 nights (Fiji).

Hope this helps you decide.

Apparently I'll be the one with the divergent opinion:rolleyes: We've been on both cruises, and adored them both, but really enjoyed our time in the Cooks and Tonga. The waters and snorkeling were spectacular. And in Savusavu, Fiji we snorkeled amidst the most amazing coral I've ever seen. In Suva we participated in a Kava ceremony. If you like magnificent underwater experiences, the Fiji trip can't be beat. The sea days were an added bonus for us to relax. The Marquesas were more land oriented and extremely hot. Very interesting, but VERY hot.

PS: Just finished a slide/video presentation combining TWO different itineraries we sailed on Paul Gauguin over a four year period. The Tahiti-Fiji trip, which I just reviewed, is included in this show.

Check it out at

Please give it a LIKE if you enjoy.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...