St. Croix- how would you rate it?

mlbcruiser

I never figured St. Croix was as popular as most of the other Virgin Is. but thought it had good snorkeling at Buck Island, and was probably a very beautiful island not as tourist-oriented as it was residential. From reading this board, I am getting the feeling that it's hardly worth a visit and that most cruisers are not that impressed with what it has to offer. If you have been there, what were the highlights and what would you say would be the best thing to do for someone only in port for a day?

Thanks for any replies.

We've been to St Croix twice and will be going back again in 2014 and 2015. First time we were with friends who rented a car and we drove to Christiansted, spent some time walking around there, saw the fort, watched the seaplanes land and take off, had a good lunch , did some shopping, then drove back to see Cane Bay, thought we would snorkel there but it was to rough that day. Then we went up into the rainforest to the Mt Pelier Domino Club and saw the beer drinking pigs, then back to port.

The following year we did a kayak adventure on the Salt River.

http://www.virginkayaktours.com

We spent almost 2 hours on the water with Bryan who made the time fly with his narrative. He's a very knowledgeable and interesting guide. The Kayaks are new and you have a choice of paddling or foot power. We saw the ship tour heading back in as we headed out, they were out for a 1/2 hour. Bryan made sure we were comfortable and would periodically ask if we were tired and wanted to go on or back. The only thing I regret was I forgot to bring water with me. Taxi cost to Cane Bay was $18 per person round trip. We got to Cane Bay around 9:45 and met Bryan at 10 and came back to Cane Bay around 1PM. We had time for lunch at the restaurant there called Eat, a bit pricey but good. We had the taxi come back for us at 2:30 and got back to the dock by 3.

Highly recommend this tour.

So... Yes there are interesting things to do if you get off the ship. This next cruise we have plans to go back to Christiansted and then to Rainbow beach.

I love St. Croix - I have visited the island four times - but I'm probably not the right to speak as a Dane since it which fascinates me is the Danish past - walking through Christiansted and Fredriksted and to visit Whim v and the Botanical Garden is a delight.

here are two short videos from my last visit - click at the link

Fredriksted:

Christiansted;

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back. We took the shuttle from the end of the pier - $16 per person round trip - to Christiansted, where there is more to do than around the pier. The Fort and other historic sites were interesting, the town nice. It was low season and a Sunday, so much was closed. However, well worth the visit.

• 4 weeks later...
We just got back. We took the shuttle from the end of the pier - $16 per person round trip - to Christiansted, where there is more to do than around the pier. The Fort and other historic sites were interesting, the town nice. It was low season and a Sunday, so much was closed. However, well worth the visit.

Do you recall a company name at all?

• 3 months later...

I was there in '87 - not part of a cruise - my wife and I flew there, rented a car, and stayed at Grapetree Bay for a week. We had a great time driving all around the island and visiting places. We were to Grassy Point, St. George Botanical Garden and Great House, Whim Great House Plantation Sugar Mill, Fort Christiansvaern, Frederiksted, Christiansted, did the Buck Island Catamaran Sail and Snorkel, and drove out to Point Udall. I found it to be a lovely island. Staying there for several days was really nice - took along our own snorkeling gear and had a nice beach right at the hotel. I'd say it's definitely worth it. Then again, I'm speaking from what it was like 17 years ago! We're going there again as part of a Southern Caribbean cruise in the spring. It'll be quite nostalgic to visit there again.

Keith

Edited by three4rd

• 4 weeks later...

I would love to get more information about the shuttle to Christiansted - where to get it, whether it operates any day a cruise ship docks in Fredericksted, etc. We will be there on a Sunday. I know there are cabs that can take us to Christiansted, but would prefer a cheaper alternative.