Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

I was pleasantly surprised that Nadica (my RCI hair stylist) didn't ask me to buy any products...in fact, she used only shampoo and conditioner - nothing else! At hometown salons, I always say, "please, no hair spray!"

Nadica DID say she also does teeth whitening. When I said, "No thank you.", she didn't try to sell anything else.

geocruiser: Oh My!!! Such an inconvenience! I can imagine the conversation with your friend - "Hello, will you be home tomorrow? I would like to use your shower:)."

Seriously, having to boil water and not being able to shower is such a downer. Hope you get water back asap.

I printed the Cruise Outfits Worksheets for the Next Cruise. That's the first step - putting outfits together and scribbling the details on the worksheets. After that comes working on the spreadsheet.

We will be cruising on Flag Day - guess I better plan on red, white and blue!

I was pleasantly surprised that Nadica (my RCI hair stylist) didn't ask me to buy any products...in fact, she used only shampoo and conditioner - nothing else! At hometown salons, I always say, "please, no hair spray!"

Nadica DID say she also does teeth whitening. When I said, "No thank you.", she didn't try to sell anything else.

geocruiser: Oh My!!! Such an inconvenience! I can imagine the conversation with your friend - "Hello, will you be home tomorrow? I would like to use your shower:)."

Seriously, having to boil water and not being able to shower is such a downer. Hope you get water back asap.

I printed the Cruise Outfits Worksheets for the Next Cruise. That's the first step - putting outfits together and scribbling the details on the worksheets. After that comes working on the spreadsheet.

We will be cruising on Flag Day - guess I better plan on red, white and blue!

We were able to use the water again! WE got the call from the local gov. at abou 11:00AM. All Clear!! Shower away!!!

I just finished making a dress that I am going to wear on my next cruise, I thought I'd share with y'all.

P4190364_zps9469ecc4.jpg

This is a close up of the bottom of the dress.

P4190367_zps81f43f2b.jpg

have a great weekend everyone.

Gerry

That is so cute!

Today I had a great find at hamricks, three t shirts and a purse for $23! I had wanted to get the purse a while ago but glad I waited as it was on sale for $10 today!

Only 17 days until we leave and 19 days until the cruise!! Just gotta make it through finals next week then it'll be packing time!! How is everyone else doing?

That is so cute!

Today I had a great find at hamricks, three t shirts and a purse for $23! I had wanted to get the purse a while ago but glad I waited as it was on sale for $10 today!

Only 17 days until we leave and 19 days until the cruise!! Just gotta make it through finals next week then it'll be packing time!! How is everyone else doing?

Good luck with your finals. The DS is finishing up his first year at the U of A in Tucson and will be taking his finals 5/9 thru 5/15...then he'll be home for the summer...YEA! So, I'm doing good thank you for asking!:D

Hope you have an awesome cruise! Enjoy your new stuff!;)

TNGALOHA: Love, Love LOVE your dress! I'm so envious of your sewing talent!!

I have been looking for a maxi beach dress and can't find one - don't like the fabric (really want knit), don't like the cheesy elastic at the waist or empire waist (want NO waist, just body skimming). There is still time to find a pattern & fabric for my alterations miracle-working lady:). You have inspired me to make that happen:cool:

ABERCRAM: Your countdown is very close! So hard to concentrate on finals AND cruising...ah to be young;).

This was the first Easter in years that coats weren't needed:). After dinner at our club, the grandkids changed clothes and spent time on the beach. Hallelujah - maybe northwestern PA will have summer after all!

This week I must build the scrapbook of photos and journal writings from The Last Cruise. Perhaps next week, the Process can begin...

TNGALOHA: Love, Love LOVE your dress! I'm so envious of your sewing talent!!

I have been looking for a maxi beach dress and can't find one - don't like the fabric (really want knit), don't like the cheesy elastic at the waist or empire waist (want NO waist, just body skimming). There is still time to find a pattern & fabric for my alterations miracle-working lady:). You have inspired me to make that happen:cool:

ABERCRAM: Your countdown is very close! So hard to concentrate on finals AND cruising...ah to be young;).

This was the first Easter in years that coats weren't needed:). After dinner at our club, the grandkids changed clothes and spent time on the beach. Hallelujah - maybe northwestern PA will have summer after all!

This week I must build the scrapbook of photos and journal writings from The Last Cruise. Perhaps next week, the Process can begin...

You can view the patterns on line to get an idea. Joann’s does have sales, on patterns. Lots of times they are 99 cents and $1.99. Vogue goes on sale for $3.99. If not on sale they are 40% off. Also the sizes are different. So you have to measure your self and go by the measurements to pick your size. I wear a 14 in ready to wear, and in patterns I wear a 20! Your alterations miracle-working lady can help with this.

http://www.mccall.com/home.html

http://www.simplicity.com/default.aspx?

Just bought my first maxi dress from Target. Great price ($28) and I loved the color. It's called high tide and it's like an aqua color. I wanted one for the cruise and was dead set on it lol. Only 19 days to go! I'm so excited!

Gerry -

I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE your dress! The pattern & the fabric! I simply must put my mother in law to work since I never learned to sew! Do you mind if I ask what pattern & pattern number you used? and also where ever did you find that cute fabric?

I understand if you don't want to give away your fashion secrets - but - I just LOVE it! I had a similar dress I got years ago at Value City in Atlanta. But that was many years and many pounds ago!

New Orleans, Key West, Nassau - and the ship (Serenade of the Seas) - all were wonderful:cool:!

We arrived home late last night and today is catch-up day - the not-so-much-fun chores, like laundry, computer stuff, etc.

Tomorrow I will post some of the highlights and a couple photos.

So good to see CCFs have been here, asking for advice, talking about (and posting photos of) clothes:)!

Indiana! You were in Key West? I live here! I would have come to the Port just to meet you!! Oh well...next time! What did you do while you were here?

Cindy

Gerry -

I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE your dress! The pattern & the fabric! I simply must put my mother in law to work since I never learned to sew! Do you mind if I ask what pattern & pattern number you used? and also where ever did you find that cute fabric?

I understand if you don't want to give away your fashion secrets - but - I just LOVE it! I had a similar dress I got years ago at Value City in Atlanta. But that was many years and many pounds ago!

Good morning, I don't mind sharing at all. The pattern is Simplicity #5010 and the best part about it is that it is an easy pattern.

The material however I have had for a couple of years and I don't remember for sure where I got it but I think it was Joanns or Hobby Lobby. It is Michael Miller fabrics LLC. and is called Island Girl Border # C-337. Hopefully that will help you out.

I made another dress yesterday, it was a different pattern, but the size wasn't true to the sizing on the back of the pattern. I normally wear a 12 in patterns and that what this ones said it would be-well to make a long story short it was too small so I had to add material and then it was too big. I wound up putting elastic in the back so that it would fit but I am kind of on the fence about the dress now. My husband likes it but.........

Up next-cargo shorts for this summer since we are supposed to start seeing 100 degrees next Wed. It is going to be a long hot summer since we usually have temps in to 100's until the middle of Oct.

Hope everyone has a great weekend,

Gerry

wrcjr98 - We booked a 1-hour bus tour in Key West...but it was cancelled. No problem for us - we did a walking tour: to Green Street, stopped at Commodore's Boat House Bar for a beverage.

Walked up and down a couple streets. Of course, Duval Street was a must. Had lunch at Caroline's and sat at the bar at Sloppy Joe's.

I had hoped to find a couple boutique-ish shops for cruise clothes, but didn't see any.

Don't know when we will return - will definitely go back!

The search for the Perfect Beach Dress (maxi dress) is ongoing. A trip to Joann Fabrics could be the solution! I'll take measurements, look for a pattern, buy fabric and take it to my Miracle Worker Alterations Lady:cool::)! This has been an On and Off search...but as The Next Cruise is getting closer, better take action!

I love Key West! My ancestors from Cuba moved there in the 1800s. I was born and raised in FL. I love Sloppy Joe's and have been there many times over the years. I love sloppy joe sandwiches and have to have one every time I go to Key West. I also love that my great-grandfather's old grocery store (though the building is now abandoned) still bears his name..."Salgado Grocery Store".

Indiana71

I hope you soon find your ultimate maxi dress for your next cruise! Happy hunting!:D I found an adorable, chevron-striped maxi skirt at TJ Maxx when I was in FL visiting my folks two weeks ago. I can't wait to wear it soon.

Edited by mousey

wrcjr98 - We booked a 1-hour bus tour in Key West...but it was cancelled. No problem for us - we did a walking tour: to Green Street, stopped at Commodore's Boat House Bar for a beverage.

Walked up and down a couple streets. Of course, Duval Street was a must. Had lunch at Caroline's and sat at the bar at Sloppy Joe's.

I had hoped to find a couple boutique-ish shops for cruise clothes, but didn't see any.

Don't know when we will return - will definitely go back!

The search for the Perfect Beach Dress (maxi dress) is ongoing. A trip to Joann Fabrics could be the solution! I'll take measurements, look for a pattern, buy fabric and take it to my Miracle Worker Alterations Lady:cool::)! This has been an On and Off search...but as The Next Cruise is getting closer, better take action!

Well, it sounds like you didn't need a bus tour anyway - your walk sounds more fun!

We go to the Boat House for Happy Hour, they have a great happy hour menu & half price drinks - also next door at Alonzo's Oyster House - so next time you come, if it's happy hour hours, definitely check it out!! Yeah, surprisingly, we don't have much good shopping here. We have to go to the "mainland"! Everything is souvenir shops downtown! Too many $5 stores in my opinion! There is a cute store called "Local Color"/ "Commotion", that is by Turtle Krawls - you should check it out! Cute stuff, kinda pricey, but once I loose a few pounds, I'm gonna treat myself to a cute outfit from there! and believe it or not, I have never been to Sloppy Joes or Carolines. My friend tells me that Carolines has fabulous chicken salad though!

Good luck in your search for the perfect Maxi - however, like you - I'm gonna get that simplicity pattern and try to find some fabric as cute as Gerri's, and have a dress made!!

Edited by wrcjr98

I love Key West! My ancestors from Cuba moved there in the 1800s. I was born and raised in FL. I love Sloppy Joe's and have been there many times over the years. I love sloppy joe sandwiches and have to have one every time I go to Key West. I also love that my great-grandfather's old grocery store (though the building is now abandoned) still bears his name..."Salgado Grocery Store".

Indiana71

I hope you soon find your ultimate maxi dress for your next cruise! Happy hunting!:D I found an adorable, chevron-striped maxi skirt at TJ Maxx when I was in FL visiting my folks two weeks ago. I can't wait to wear it soon.

Mousey-

I guess this confirms it. I must make a trip to Sloppy Joes! I didn't realize that they sold sandwiches - I thought it was just the name of the bar!

Where is the building that your grandfather's old grocery store was in?

I was recently in Burke's Outlet (my small town's version of Marshall's) and they had Nine West packable hats for $12.99 - $15.99. They had both large and small straw floppy hats as well as fedoras. Might be worth checking out at your local "frugal fashionista" store.

wrcjr98 -

Don't forget your 40% off coupon.

http://www.joann.com/coupon/

geocruiser: Thank you for the link to the Joann Fabric coupon! I'm going there tomorrow. We just returned home from a weekend at the lake house. Much different weather from Easter! It was cold and dreary the past 2 days. Easter Sunday we were sitting on the beach...with a light jacket...but the sun was shining:cool:!

Anyway, looking at Maxi Dress patterns and fabric should help me forget yukky weather!

I Found My Beach Dress! (at least I hope so!). On the Talbot's website AND 30% off!

42036531_4801?$gridViewX3$

I like the fabric, the drawstring waist (as opposed to so many with elastic) and the style...fingers crossed that it will fit when it arrives...the models are always tall, slender...no question THEY look good!

Goodwill Purchases - 2 cruise worthy blouses. The knit tops that have been my favorites aren't quite as flattering...those love handles (what is there to love????:confused:) show with the form fitting style. Blouses hide those darn tell-tale signs of aging:rolleyes:.

The blouses don't have fancy labels - but they will pair well with Capris/shorts.

The Packing Process isn't going to begin until May 15. I'll be at the Lake House more than The Main House until then.

As outfits come together, photos will appear.

Edited by indiana71

I Found My Beach Dress! (at least I hope so!). On the Talbot's website AND 30% off!

42036531_4801?$gridViewX3$

I like the fabric, the drawstring waist (as opposed to so many with elastic) and the style...fingers crossed that it will fit when it arrives...the models are always tall, slender...no question THEY look good!

Goodwill Purchases - 2 cruise worthy blouses. The knit tops that have been my favorites aren't quite as flattering...those love handles (what is there to love????:confused:) show with the form fitting style. Blouses hide those darn tell-tale signs of aging:rolleyes:.

The blouses don't have fancy labels - but they will pair well with Capris/shorts.

The Packing Process isn't going to begin until May 15. I'll be at the Lake House more than The Main House until then.

As outfits come together, photos will appear.

Just love the dress. My closet has lots of stripes in it. We are done packing and our car it being shipped back home to day. Thursday AM we fly home after the winter in florida. I will miss the beach and palm trees!!

GeoCruiser,

I too have tons of striped garments in my closet. I just love them.

I too always miss FL when I leave. I still think of it as "home" even though I moved to CA over 40 years ago.

By-the-way, I just fed your fish! LOL!:D

Edited by mousey

I do not care for the quality, or typically the style, of the clothing at Rue21 since it is geared more towards teenagers, but I do occasionally pop in to look at the accessories department. I thought this anchor scarf was adorable and worth sharing:

Img_Not_Avail&$src=0157_000075_0007495_0046_m

And it's only $7.99 (plus right now scarfs are buy one, get one for $2)!

geocruiser: Palm trees and beaches are hypnotizing - once I see them, I don't want to leave! I can sympathize with you!

kellane: Adorable scarf!! Scarves are everywhere! And they're a nice accessory (and lightweight, easy to pack). Yours is perfect for a CCF! Thank you for sharing the photo:).