Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

We flew to Minneapolis Friday and returned last night. DS & DDL never tell us their plans in advance. Each day we receive a bulletin (just like cruising:cool:)...so when I read that we were going to Mall of America on Monday - is it necessary to tell you about the smile on my face???

DH & DS went off on their own to bar hop while DDL & I headed to Nordstrom (of course!). Found a couple sale items (see photos below): The best deal was an Eileen Fisher sweater - orange w/ 3/4 sleeves - good for cruising from the northern ports.

The fabric in the green & white blouse feels so soft and is wrinkle-free. And I'm a sucker for light-weight cardigans.

The 2 stretchy bracelets were on sale, too. I love the T-shirt from Life Is Good - Sea Day wear with shorts...

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv%3B%3A28%3Dot%3E2426%3D%3B55%3D657%3DXROQDF%3E276844%3A%3A%3B8244ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv9583%3Dot%3E2426%3D%3B55%3D657%3DXROQDF%3E276844%3A%3A%3B7244ot1lsi

There were several comments posted that mimic my thoughts EXACTLY -

i.e. sunnydaygirl: "plenty to choose from", "packed...no intention of buying", "Can't stop myself", "...what NOT to take".

Abercram: Love your two formal dresses. They will be perfect!

A General Packing List is always handy. As soon as one cruise has ended, the basic items (toiletries, passports, other essentials) are ready for the next adventure.

The Packing List for outfits (in my case, the spreadsheet) can change many times before final choices. I start a month prior to cruising most of the time. That way, if something needs repaired or cleaned or a purchase is needed, there's no last minute rush.

Just love every thing that you brought. You have such great taste.

I didn't go on our four night cruise this past Monday 3/17. My back went out. But here is a picture of what would have been my St. Patrick's day outfit. The skirt and fanny/waist bag I made. And another outfit too!

IMG_1902_zps96cc524d.jpg

A pair of my home made pants and bag that were to go on the cruise too.

IMG_1907_zps7583ac45.jpg

IMG_1908_zps9472506e.jpg

Edited by geocruiser

I made a mistake and deleted the photos. So here they are again. Maybe next time I cruise, I will bring them. I plan to wear the green pant on Thurs. The pants are a Vogue pattern.

IMG_1908_zps351574e1.jpg

IMG_1907_zpsf2596ec9.jpg

St. Patrick's Day

IMG_1902_zps25f2dcbf.jpg

Edited by geocruiser

Geocruiser, Those are so cute. I really like the little pack you have for the waist.

It makes me wish my sewing machine was working so I could sew again.

Gerry

Thank you Gerry. Have you had your machine looked at? The bag takes me about two and a half hours to make.

PS

The pants above are a side view. I want you to be able to see the pocket. I put a pocket on each side .

No I haven't had it looked at but will be doing that when I get back from my cruise in April.

I miss sewing even tho I don't see the needles that well anymore, (to thread it), but I putts along any way.:)

I have so much material and so many things that I want to make I will be at it most of the summer and fall.

Gerry

Geocruiser, I love the clothes you made. It makes me want to take sewing lessons, so I can make more than curtains, pillows, and buffs (think Survivor). Oh, and of course let out hems. I am sorry that you are having back issues and missed your cruise. I hope you start feeling better soon.

Lisa

Geocruiser, I love the clothes you made. It makes me want to take sewing lessons, so I can make more than curtains, pillows, and buffs (think Survivor). Oh, and of course let out hems. I am sorry that you are having back issues and missed your cruise. I hope you start feeling better soon.

Lisa

Thank you. I also started out doing home sewing. I still have a lot to learn in making clothing, but it is fun. Still on the mend and hope to be better soon with some PT.

geocruiser: I'm admiring your creative talent:)! The waist bag is pure genius...and the fabric appears to be seersucker. Seersucker is a perfect summer, cruising fabric - lightweight, wrinkle-free. How nice if it would become more popular. Of course, for you and your sewing ability - it's a trip to the fabric store! I'm envious:)!

And celebrating St. Patrick's Day in your skirt & waist pack must have been fun - no one else would have come close to you for Irish spirit:D!

The Spreadsheet is complete! After several major outfit changes, the suitcases are no longer empty. Yesterday, DH met a friend for lunch and Basketball viewing, so I started Try-Ons at 9 AM and hardly left the Cruise Room until 3 PM!

The Thursday Cocktail Hour group knows my obsession with Serious Packing and wonders why I like it so much. They need to start reading this thread to see how CCFs think:cool:;)!

I made a mistake and deleted the photos. So here they are again. Maybe next time I cruise, I will bring them. I plan to wear the green pant on Thurs. The pants are a Vogue pattern.

IMG_1908_zps351574e1.jpg

IMG_1907_zpsf2596ec9.jpg

St. Patrick's Day

IMG_1902_zps25f2dcbf.jpg

I love, love, love your sewing skills! I love those pants and will have to have my mom sew me up a coupe of pair when I visit her in April. We'll go to a fabric store and look at the Vogue pattern book. You are going to look so fresh on your future cruise. I love that they each have their own little bag...you are so very clever! ;)

Edited by mousey

indiana71,

I just love seersucker fabric. They show very little of it in the stores. I got lucky and found the fabric in Joann's Fabrics. Maybe on our next cruise I will get to wear it. They were some of my cruise clothes that I would have worn this week, if we did not have to cancel out cruise.

mousey,

Below is the pattern number. I did change the pocket on it. They are a wide leg pants with an elastic waist. But they do look good on.

http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v8584-products-9972.php?page_id=264

Edited by geocruiser

Geocruiser,

Thanks for the info. I'm going to go to Joann's tomorrow and see if I can find the pattern. Then when I get to FL, I'll take mom to the Joann's there and we'll pick out some material together. My mom's been sewing and crocheting for me since I was born.

I especially like the mid-calf pant. I would wear them with espadrilles. Would you mind if I used your idea about making a matching purse? I love the look of yours but if you'd rather I not borrow your idea...I understand totally. I have a friend that doesn't like people copying her, which I totally understand. So please feel free to be honest about this. I just think your idea for the matching purse is so adorable and a genius creation:D!

Geocruiser,

Thanks for the info. I'm going to go to Joann's tomorrow and see if I can find the pattern. Then when I get to FL, I'll take mom to the Joann's there and we'll pick out some material together. My mom's been sewing and crocheting for me since I was born.

I especially like the mid-calf pant. I would wear them with espadrilles. Would you mind if I used your idea about making a matching purse? I love the look of yours but if you'd rather I not borrow your idea...I understand totally. I have a friend that doesn't like people copying her, which I totally understand. So please feel free to be honest about this. I just think your idea for the matching purse is so adorable and a genius creation:D!

Please feel free to make the purse. Here is the pattern. #403

http://www.stephaniekimura.com/patterns.html

Any questions please ask. Come over to "sewing clothers for a cruise" thread. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1665834 I did change how it was made and cut . Any questions I can answer there I will.

Edited by geocruiser

Indiana, I started a thread called "Organizing Accessories at Home" and wanted you to know that you are one of my inspirations for this project. I love how organized you are and I hope this project gets me one step closer to having my "stuff" together when packing.

Much Love,

Lisa

Geocruiser,

How very generous of you to share your patterns with me. I can't wait to have my mom sew me up a couple of pants with the matching bag. Also, as an added bonus. I love the pattern for the fabric handbags that was right next to the pattern you use for your hip bags. I've been looking for something like that and this is the best pattern for that type of bag that I've seen. I have a pair of vintage bamboo handles that I want to make a purse with and this pattern is just perfect. Again, thank you so much. You're so sweet to share all this.

Girls, I promise I'm going to try to learn how to post pictures soon!:D The DS is suppose to help me learn how to do it tomorrow before he leaves to go back to the U of A. I'm going to miss him desperately! Won't be back until the middle of May!:(

Geocruiser,

How very generous of you to share your patterns with me. I can't wait to have my mom sew me up a couple of pants with the matching bag. Also, as an added bonus. I love the pattern for the fabric handbags that was right next to the pattern you use for your hip bags. I've been looking for something like that and this is the best pattern for that type of bag that I've seen. I have a pair of vintage bamboo handles that I want to make a purse with and this pattern is just perfect. Again, thank you so much. You're so sweet to share all this.

Girls, I promise I'm going to try to learn how to post pictures soon!:D The DS is suppose to help me learn how to do it tomorrow before he leaves to go back to the U of A. I'm going to miss him desperately! Won't be back until the middle of May!:(

I am very happy to share. Hope you just love your clothes when done. Then you need a cruise to wear them on!

What is U of A?

I am very happy to share. Hope you just love your clothes when done. Then you need a cruise to wear them on!

What is U of A?

University of Arizona, he's there on a full-ride, academic, scholarship majoring in business. The DH and I are so proud of him. He left this morning and I miss him so much!:( But, he'll be back in 6-7 weeks for summer break and I'll have him home for about 3 months (he's my one and only and came to us late in life)!:D I'll be in FL for two weeks of that time with my parents, who will miss me terribly when I leave. LOL! It's a cyclical thing with our family.:p

I'll be shopping at Joann's with my mom and making some of those pants with the matching bag. The DS didn't have time to show me how to post pictures (he was busy with the GF "who's not a GF" and was away for 2 1/2 days partying at the spring break jams in San Diego). It's such a joy to see him so happy with his college life and fraternity. It's what we always wanted for him.:D

Enough about my kid:o! What fabrics would you suggest for the pants? I'm thinking I'd like to find some light blue and white vertical striped seersucker and maybe something with a little more flow.

By-the-way, I've been meaning to tell you I love your little fish swimming around on all your posts!

Edited by mousey

University of Arizona, he's there on a full-ride, academic, scholarship majoring in business. The DH and I are so proud of him. He left this morning and I miss him so much!:( But, he'll be back in 6-7 weeks for summer break and I'll have him home for about 3 months (he's my one and only and came to us late in life)!:D I'll be in FL for two weeks of that time with my parents, who will miss me terribly when I leave. LOL! It's a cyclical thing with our family.:p

I'll be shopping at Joann's with my mom and making some of those pants with the matching bag. The DS didn't have time to show me how to post pictures (he was busy with the GF "who's not a GF" and was away for 2 1/2 days partying at the spring break jams in San Diego). It's such a joy to see him so happy with his college life and fraternity. It's what we always wanted for him.:D

Enough about my kid:o! What fabrics would you suggest for the pants? I'm thinking I'd like to find some light blue and white vertical striped seersucker and maybe something with a little more flow.

By-the-way, I've been meaning to tell you I love your little fish swimming around on all your posts!

You should be proud of your son. I am sure he will enjoy his college years. About fabric I am going to answer you on the sewing thread. I don't want this thread to get to get highjacked by my sewing. So below is the sewing thread.

PS-- feed the fish.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1665834&page=14

Geocruiser,

I agree, don't want to highjack this great thread. Saw your comments on the other thread and I thank you.

I fed the fish...that was so cute!:D

Indiana 71,

Now that the DS is back at school, I'm getting ready to pack for my FL trip. Starting tomorrow I'll start pulling out stuff and putting my outfits together. Like you I love to get into the details of each outfit. This trip I'm going to try and pack light...let's see how that goes.:D

I'll get back when I've put a few things together.:D

I did a little grocery shopping this morning - no cruise-related stops:(. Temp is under 30 here in western PA (sunnydaygirl: not the state of Indiana...small town PA).

While sipping a beverage at Starbucks, I thought about palm trees, tropical beverages on a Caribbean island, clothes that aren't multi-layered!

Hey Mother Nature! Where is SPRING??? Weatherman says we will be in the 50s in a couple days.

Hope to wear just a light jacket a week from Thursday. Hello New Orleans!:):cool:

I did a little grocery shopping this morning - no cruise-related stops:(. Temp is under 30 here in western PA (sunnydaygirl: not the state of Indiana...small town PA).

While sipping a beverage at Starbucks, I thought about palm trees, tropical beverages on a Caribbean island, clothes that aren't multi-layered!

Hey Mother Nature! Where is SPRING??? Weatherman says we will be in the 50s in a couple days.

Hope to wear just a light jacket a week from Thursday. Hello New Orleans!:):cool:

The other day I had to pick up a thing or two in Publics grocery store. They have a small section with Florida style beach cover ups, tee shirts. I all ways look there. I all most brought a cover up that could be used a blouse. I have to be careful about buying clothes even in a grocery store!

[quote=indiana71;42175158Hey Mother Nature! Where is SPRING??? Weatherman says we will be in the 50s in a couple days.

[/font][/size][/color]

Bring on those tropical 50's! It was 10 when I got up this morning. Although it has warmed up a bit, we are now enjoying a lovely snow storm. :mad:

Snow was covering the grass early today, but it's gone now. Sun is shining...only 21 on the thermometer, thoughicon13.gif.

Hoping this is the last time we'll see the white stuff. After all, the calendar DOES say Spring Is Here!

I took advantage of the dreary weather to reorganize sweaters in an armoire. It's been ages since I did it last, and there was no logical organization.

All the sweaters came out - piled on the bed by style (cardi or pullover) and by color. Now they are neatly arranged - cardis on one shelf, pullovers on another and sweaters with 3/4 sleeves on a top shelf. There are 68 sweaters!! And that's just the day-to-day ones. "Going out" sweaters are in another armoire:rolleyes:.

Hey, I live in a cold climate and NEED a variety;)!

Snow was covering the grass early today, but it's gone now. Sun is shining...only 21 on the thermometer, thoughicon13.gif.

Hoping this is the last time we'll see the white stuff. After all, the calendar DOES say Spring Is Here!

I took advantage of the dreary weather to reorganize sweaters in an armoire. It's been ages since I did it last, and there was no logical organization.

All the sweaters came out - piled on the bed by style (cardi or pullover) and by color. Now they are neatly arranged - cardis on one shelf, pullovers on another and sweaters with 3/4 sleeves on a top shelf. There are 68 sweaters!! And that's just the day-to-day ones. "Going out" sweaters are in another armoire:rolleyes:.

Hey, I live in a cold climate and NEED a variety;)!

68 sweaters, WOW! But it helps the cold winter pass when you can dress up and look nice. This year we got to our winter home in Jan, most times in Nov. The wind chill was -27 two days before we left. Having a choice of sweaters lifted my "cold" sprits.

Yesterday I fixed my closet and put all tops together with like colors. It does help when I go looking for a top to wear.

Edited by geocruiser