Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

I think I jsut learned how to post a picture. This is a skirt I made with a waist bag (fanny bag) You have to look close to see the bag because it is made from the same fabric as the skirt. It is a long wrap-a -round skirt. I am about 5ft 8 inches talll, so it is long.

IMG_1238_zps62fe5d94.jpg

IMG_1239_zps05016a81.jpg

Edited by geocruiser

Indiana 71 you had asked me where I get my drawstring capri pants. I told you about the outlet store that I shop at. However, I went on the Old Navy site to see if I could get one of the sequined tank tops with the anchor on it (they didn't have my size) and I found that they have the same kind of cotton drawstring capris that I like to wear. The cost about $14-$16. They also had some very cute denim ones in several different styles. Check it out if you're interested. I hope you like them.:D

geocruiser: Yay for learning how to post photos:). Your skirt is genius!! I love the colors, the tropical print AND the waist bag. Sewing is a valuable art and you are very talented. Thanks for sharing (and hopefully, for sharing more in the future!)

mousey: Thanks for the info RE Old Navy and drawstring pants. I can go to an Old Navy this weekend to check them out.

...meanwhile - Payless Shoes had a REALLY good sale...I bought SIX pairs - for a total of $55! (several were only $5.00). The purple tennis shoes and brown booties won't be cruising...but the others have a chance. The bone fabric wedges with silver circles came from TJ Maxx. They were on sale, too; that's why they're included here.

One pair is missing - brown ballet flats (that I've worn already).

I'm not deluding myself into thinking these are top quality footwear - but on a cruise, there isn't much wear & tear, so they should last at least a couple of seasons:cool:.

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv7%3B65%3Dot%3E2426%3D%3B55%3D657%3DXROQDF%3E2766%3B4456%3C244ot1lsi

Hi girls. Just booked a Celebrity Reflections Eastern Caribbean cruise for Jan. I've never cruised them before. Does anyone know If clothing will differ much from what I'd take on RCCL or Carnival? Found some great pull on skirts(long)in an outlet mall in Miami. Can't wait to wear on board.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Edited by sunnydaygirl

sunnydaygirl: Since I haven't been on Celebrity, this is an opinion only: If I booked a Celebrity cruise, my outfits would be exactly the same.

People we talked to onboard who cruised Celebrity say it is much like RCCL.

There will be other CCFs who can give first-hand info...

geocruiser: Yay for learning how to post photos:). Your skirt is genius!! I love the colors, the tropical print AND the waist bag. Sewing is a valuable art and you are very talented. Thanks for sharing (and hopefully, for sharing more in the future!)

mousey: Thanks for the info RE Old Navy and drawstring pants. I can go to an Old Navy this weekend to check them out.

...meanwhile - Payless Shoes had a REALLY good sale...I bought SIX pairs - for a total of $55! (several were only $5.00). The purple tennis shoes and brown booties won't be cruising...but the others have a chance. The bone fabric wedges with silver circles came from TJ Maxx. They were on sale, too; that's why they're included here.

I'm not deluding myself into thinking these are top quality footwear - but on a cruise, there isn't much wear & tear, so they should last at least a couple of seasons:cool:.

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv7%3B65%3Dot%3E2426%3D%3B55%3D657%3DXROQDF%3E2766%3B4456%3C244ot1lsi

Thanks for the kinds words. I am still in the early stages of learning how to sew.

Your shoes are great. I like the white ones a lot.

Ooh! I especially love the white ones with the bling! I'm going shopping at Payless and TJ Maxx today to check them out. I love all your shoe choices...let's face it I'm a shoe wh#$e! :eek:

Edited by mousey

Hi girls. Just booked a Celebrity Reflections Eastern Caribbean cruise for Jan. I've never cruised them before. Does anyone know If clothing will differ much from what I'd take on RCCL or Carnival? Found some great pull on skirts(long)in an outlet mall in Miami. Can't wait to wear on board.

I don't believe there will be very much difference, if any at all! Your skirts will be perfectly fine. Ooh, I'm homesick for Miami! I hope you have an awesome cruise!:D

Indiana - You've been a busy girl shopping since I last checked in! Congrats on your great bargains at Payless. Also, thanks for the compliment on my screen name. I thought I was being creative at the time even if no one else did. :) It's time for me to start to get serious about a packing list for our Caribbean Cruise. It is approaching quite quickly, and I've been lacking the motivation to start the process. Typically, I'm way ahead of the game, but I think this long winter is just tiring me out.

I'm enjoying seeing the new posts especially those with outfits. Everything is looking so tropical and sun-worthy; it may be just the motivation I need!

I got two dresses from Ross last night! One I plan on wearing to formal night as it's a long one and the other I will wear another night. Hopefully I'll get a chance to post a picture of them later. The long one is navy with 'jewels' at the waist and the other one is purple with jewels at the neckline. Both very pretty! I believe we have around 60 days left until my first cruise! :)

Abercram: Would love to see photos of your dresses. With the bling, sounds like you will be a roll model for CCFs on Formal Night:cool:.

My LAST shopping spree:rolleyes:...We had a family Thanksgiving in March yesterday at our nephew's house, and then stayed overnight at DS's...so-o-o-o with a Talbot's, Coldwater Creek, etc. nearby, DDL and I spent at hour taking advantage of sales.

Finally - I have a new pair of black dress pants (from Talbot's)...and raspberry print Capris, navy shorts and a long-sleeved knit top (also from Talbot's) and ALL on saleicon14.gif. Coldwater Creek had a 40% off sale - couldn't pass that up:rolleyes:. Found a pair of almost-dressy olive cargo pants.

Probably going to wear the cargo pants and long-sleeved knit top to travel to New Orleans.

And now I will STAY AWAY from shopping for clothes, etc.......

Abercram: Would love to see photos of your dresses. With the bling, sounds like you will be a roll model for CCFs on Formal Night:cool:.

My LAST shopping spree:rolleyes:...We had a family Thanksgiving in March yesterday at our nephew's house, and then stayed overnight at DS's...so-o-o-o with a Talbot's, Coldwater Creek, etc. nearby, DDL and I spent at hour taking advantage of sales.

Finally - I have a new pair of black dress pants (from Talbot's)...and raspberry print Capris, navy shorts and a long-sleeved knit top (also from Talbot's) and ALL on saleicon14.gif. Coldwater Creek had a 40% off sale - couldn't pass that up:rolleyes:. Found a pair of almost-dressy olive cargo pants.

Probably going to wear the cargo pants and long-sleeved knit top to travel to New Orleans.

And now I will STAY AWAY from shopping for clothes, etc.......

You are on a roll with all the sales! First shoes, now clothes...wow. I am going to have to see if Coldwater Creek has those cargos in tall. I am always looking for something for the next vacation. :D

Lisa

Today at Marshalls, I bought a new tankini that is kind of nautical looking with it's navy blue and white stripped top and solid navy bottoms with ruching at the hips (Togs Swimwear, it's an Australian brand which I've never heard of until today...fits great and it's one size smaller than what I usually wear...yippie!), a navy blue and white diagonal-stripped. fit and flare, tunic top (Jones New York), and a black and white stripped, w/neon yellow trim, maxi skirt (it sounds quady I know, but it really isn't) (Cynthia Rowley). I'm so excited to wear everything!:D

With so many of us on a Sale-Buying spree, it brings up a question:

Would you be happy going on a cruise WITHOUT one new item??

Sure, we all have enough cruise-worthy outfits and could easily pack what's already available...BUT do you feel better when something new is worn?

I realized a while back that my mother and I always had a couple new outfits for vacation...and of course, new clothes for school. (That's how I justify the new purchases to DH;)).

So...a couple newbies in the suitcase gives me something fresh. On the other hand, there are items that have gone on almost every cruise that really make me happy, too:):cool:!

Sure, we all have enough cruise-worthy outfits and could easily pack what's already available...BUT do you feel better when something new is worn?

I realized a while back that my mother and I always had a couple new outfits for vacation...and of course, new clothes for school. (That's how I justify the new purchases to DH;)).

So...a couple newbies in the suitcase gives me something fresh. On the other hand, there are items that have gone on almost every cruise that really make me happy, too:):cool:!

For me I always buy something new for special occasions, and then it reminds of it when I wear it again! Growing up my mum used to buy my sister and I new outfits for Christmas day (we always dressed nicely, no pjs for us), and so I blame her for my shopping habit!

For me it's part of the fun. Also I am doing a TA, so I need options - right ;)

Now that I've been cruising more I really have plenty to choose from. And I've even packed with no intention of buying anything new! But then a sale falls at my feet! And I can't stop myself. The hard part is trying to decide what NOT to take now. That long skirt I mentioned earlier of course needed a shirt to match. I do have a picture of that, with the necklace I found. Speaking of necklaces. I pack jewelry, and then up not wearing, I either forget or, no I forget! Will go find picture!

ImageUploadedByForums1394637032.780804.jpg.00ba6c1abff4ebe934e6334c1a491c0a.jpg this shirt came from Marshall's. I ended up with 3 I like so much. It's a dressy T that has a longer rounded bottom. My knit jacket from Coldwater(it's a cruise must) but I love the chunky necklace! This is from first formal night (wore long skirt) and we're toasting with free champagne mimosas(the brought mango purée and poured first into each glass).

This was new for me on Carnival. Since it was new menu roll out, formal nights are the only night you get pampered at dinner. The other nights the water and bread are left on table and you serve yourself. We found this out by accident, as no one explained.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Ok lovely fashionistas here are my two new dresses if they will show up! ude9u6ar.jpg

umetepuq.jpg

The first dress is a dark purple and the second is navy if the colors don't show up well. Since this is my first cruise I needed to find something to wear on formal nights as I don't have any formal dresses. Actually I have few clothing in general (it is all currently stored in a 3 drawer plastic thing) so I'm using this cruise as an excuse to buy some new things. :) SO very excited as there are only 7 weeks left until we leave! A question: how early do you guys start a packing list?

Edited by Abercram

Abercram,

Love the two dresses, they're perfect for cruise formal night! Hope you have an awesome cruise!:D

Indian 71,

Yes, I could easily cruise without getting anything new...but don't want to. LOL!:D We always got a new outfit for Easter and Christmas, new clothes for the start of school, and so I've just carried on the tradition with our DH and DS, we always get a few new things for our vacations. Our last cruise, I got the DH a couple of new shirts, the DS got a couple of new t-shirts and golf-type shirts, new pair of jeans, and new swim trunks, and I got a new swimsuit, cover-up, sandals, capri pants, and new cross-body bag. Also, a new sun hat.

I'm going to FL for two weeks coming up in April and though I need nothing new, especially since I keep stuff at my mom's, I still just bought a new swimsuit, sandals, a new hobo-type bag, a Sharpani duffel, and a couple of new tops. I just can't help myself!:D I'm a fashion ho!:D

Edited by mousey

To me part of the fun of any vacation, not just cruising, is buying new stuff. I always buy a new swimsuit or outfit or shoes. If I couldn't no big deal but I think as long as I can afford it I always will! :)

There is a new shop at the mall " D Agacie " They have a sequin anchor in several colors under $20 that is real cute. I have not bought it yet but since I am cruising next month and in September it may happen yet. You may be able to find them online.

We flew to Minneapolis Friday and returned last night. DS & DDL never tell us their plans in advance. Each day we receive a bulletin (just like cruising:cool:)...so when I read that we were going to Mall of America on Monday - is it necessary to tell you about the smile on my face???

DH & DS went off on their own to bar hop while DDL & I headed to Nordstrom (of course!). Found a couple sale items (see photos below): The best deal was an Eileen Fisher sweater - orange w/ 3/4 sleeves - good for cruising from the northern ports.

The fabric in the green & white blouse feels so soft and is wrinkle-free. And I'm a sucker for light-weight cardigans.

The 2 stretchy bracelets were on sale, too. I love the T-shirt from Life Is Good - Sea Day wear with shorts...

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv%3B%3A28%3Dot%3E2426%3D%3B55%3D657%3DXROQDF%3E276844%3A%3A%3B8244ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv9583%3Dot%3E2426%3D%3B55%3D657%3DXROQDF%3E276844%3A%3A%3B7244ot1lsi

There were several comments posted that mimic my thoughts EXACTLY -

i.e. sunnydaygirl: "plenty to choose from", "packed...no intention of buying", "Can't stop myself", "...what NOT to take".

Abercram: Love your two formal dresses. They will be perfect!

A General Packing List is always handy. As soon as one cruise has ended, the basic items (toiletries, passports, other essentials) are ready for the next adventure.

The Packing List for outfits (in my case, the spreadsheet) can change many times before final choices. I start a month prior to cruising most of the time. That way, if something needs repaired or cleaned or a purchase is needed, there's no last minute rush.