Halifax to Peggy's cove and beyond......

We will be in port 8 am til 5pm. Have a car rented. Other than Peggy's cove we would like to see more of the area. Afraid going all of the way to lunenburg might be pushing it. Do any locals have a suggestion of other drives or towns to visit, doing coastal driving when possible. Would like to do Peggy's cove last (it really depends on how fast we get the rental car) in hopes of avoiding all of the tour buses. Thanks for any suggestions.

We will be in port 8 am til 5pm. Have a car rented. Other than Peggy's cove we would like to see more of the area. Afraid going all of the way to lunenburg might be pushing it. Do any locals have a suggestion of other drives or towns to visit, doing coastal driving when possible. Would like to do Peggy's cove last (it really depends on how fast we get the rental car) in hopes of avoiding all of the tour buses. Thanks for any suggestions.

We drove all the way to Lunenburg and back through Mahone Bay and Peggy's Cove via the Lighthouse route. We had plenty of time in Lunenburg.

Thanks for your reply. By the time you got to PC had most of the tour buses left. I assume you drove the hwy that went directly to Lunenberg and then took the scenic route back. Did you have time to eat in Lunenberg or one of the other stops.

Edited by ssbeard1

Thanks for your reply. By the time you got to PC had most of the tour buses left. I assume you drove the hwy that went directly to Lunenberg and then took the scenic route back. Did you have time to eat in Lunenberg or one of the other stops.

Yes, we took the highway to Lunenberg and scenic route back. No tour buses at Peggy's Cove by the time we got there. I don't remember where we ate lunch at, but we ate somewhere but it was not a very long stop (I think Mahone Bay). Go for it!

Maryanne NS should be around shortly and she has a great google map all set up to do this.

We are not local but recently did a similar route. We got the car around 9am ship time; drove Route 333 to Peggy's Cove, Pan Am Memorial then to Ryer Lobsters for Lunch. A quick stop at the Arcadia Maple Store-(a tourist trap full of buses) then we headed back to Halifax making an entire loop around the Peninsula. We stopped at the Fairlawn (Titanic Cemetary) and then returned the car around 2:30 ship time. We even had time to visit the Maritime (Titanic) Museum and do a little shopping at the pier.

It was a leisurely day filled with sites for very little money. The only problem going first thing int he morning is that you have to deal with the tour buses and possibly fog. We were aware of that but wanted to arrive for lobster around 11:30 for lunch and to beat those crowds.

• 8 months later...

This sounds like a great day in the Halifax area! Where is the rental car pickup in relation to the cruise ship terminal? When I look on Expedia to rent a car I see an option for Halifax Waterfront Boardwalk. Is this the one I pick? Thanks everybody for all this info:)

Edited by iifs08
more info

These are my notes saved from posts by others. It sounds like the Expedia deal would deliver to the pier, but I would question that carefully. The Waterfront Boardwalk is as it says - a walking path along the waterfront. You would need a more accurate location than that.

CAR RENTAL

Enterprise and/or National are in the Via rail station in front of Cruise port they are open 9-1 Sundays for Cruise ship passengers 423-0227

Thrifty's is open on Sundays in the Westin Hotel beside Via station. This is just a very short walk from the pier. Find the back entrance for the hotel.

982-3474

Budget is open 8-4 on Hollis St. at least 4 blocks good 15 min walk but will pick up at Pier if you have reservation just call as soon as you get in.492-7542

Avis is also open on Grafton if you have reservation will also come and pick you up. tel #492-2847 Note if calling out of province AREA CODE is 902 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1675903

We just returned. I had prebooked our car rental through Thrifty's in the Westin Hotel right across the street from the port. I had originally tried booking with other rental companies but none of the others were open on the recent holiday Monday. Turned out to be very fortunate as Thrifty's was so convenient to the port and price was the standard going rate. There is a gas station at the grocery store next door to the Westin Hotel so it only took us minutes to refuel before turning the car back in at the front door of the Westin at the end of our day. They provided us with driving maps and routes to Lunenburg and Peggy's Cove. Easy drive; just wished the weather had been a little more cooperative as we didn't spend much time out of the car (raining and gusty). If you are driving out to Peggy's Cove and love lobster, you have to stop at Ryer's Lobster Pound a few minutes West of Peggy's Cove...the best, freshest and cheapest lobster I have ever had...and I have had lots! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1802808&page=2

• 4 weeks later...

We are going mid Oct. Not sure of exact date or day of week but very interested in car rental and exploring. I've been to Halifax twice and done all the close in things via foot and the hop on/hop off bus. Has anybody rented cars lately?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

www.lunenburgns.com

http://www.thestar.com/life/travel/novascotia/2013/03/20/nova_scotia_travel_travel_editor_jim_byers_six_things_to_do_in_lunenburg.html

I would add that you should easily be able to pick up a brochure which gives you a walking tour to look at some of the unique architecture and historic buildings in the downtown area.