River cruise roll calls

pacmom

Please give me your opion of the present roll calls for river cruises. Personally I find them difficult to navigate. Have given up trying to find any for future cruises. This is where all the "placing under the line's name" effort should have gone. Maybe the powers that be will see this and set up river roll calls just like the ocean ones. Pat;)

Well, Pat, I feel the same way you do about the Roll Calls. I would like to add one to the River Cruises board but am sure that I will be told that it doesn't belong here. Most newcomers don't know about the roll calls and come to use this forum as there are so many of us willing to share our knowledge of cruising.

I am just glad that we were able to get the River Cruise forum back the way it was before.

Count me in also

I have ask Laura in the past to consider at least grouping them by cruise line

but was told it was not in the cards

Wonder why they wasted some much time & energy reformatting this forum when it would have been better spent on the Roll Calls

Maybe some day ;)

Lyn

Let's see the following are the more well known companies: AMAwaterways, Avalon, Grand circle, Great American steamship co., Tauck. Uniworld, Vantage and Viking, Scenic. Think that's about it. Having them like the ocean roll calls would make it so much easier to find. Please add any I've forgotten. Pat

• 3 weeks later...

Could not agree more, we are doing a Uniworld river in the summer of 2012, I place a thread and cannot find it now to see if anybody wrote something on it. I am completely mixed up. I belong to a thread on a Caribbean cruise for January and it works perfectly.

Hi Charlotte T,

Just hit on your name on your post and it will bring you to a page where you can hit on all your posts. I found the one you posted yesterday right there. No one answered you as yet.

Happy cruising.

Sheila

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
Please give me your opion of the present roll calls for river cruises. Personally I find them difficult to navigate. Have given up trying to find any for future cruises. This is where all the "placing under the line's name" effort should have gone. Maybe the powers that be will see this and set up river roll calls just like the ocean ones. Pat;)

I agree

I gave up looking for others on the cruise we did months before

It is not conducive to finding people on your cruise the way it is set up now

I asked for months before the fiasco in this forum to have the roll calls sorted but ....

JMO

Lyn

I only travel on Tauck River Cruises, so I just put Tauck in the search mode at the top of the "All River Cruise Roll Calls" and it brings up the different roll calls. I know it's hard to do with a river cruise line that has lots of boats. Maybe by next year when the various lines have 20 boats doing various rivers, a new "River Roll Call" section could be started.

Sheila

It would be easier to find if everyone used a similar format, such as:

Cruise Line, Ship, From, To, Sail Date. Maybe add the "name of the cruise"...

Just a suggestion!! (Basically the major ocean cruise lines' roll call sections are organized by ship's name.)

I gave up and never check for mine.

I think part of the problem is numbers. The ocean cruises might get a 2 to 5 percent response, but with 2000 to 6000 on most ships that is 40 to 300 people. Most river cruises are about 100 to 150 passengers. That would equate to 2 to 8 people on the roll call.

• Administrators

Hi everyone!

I do understand your point; and agree that it would definitely be easier to find if they were organized under "line".

So, the last time we arranged by river cruise line, you all about diced me into small pieces and served me to the fish!

Moving forward, I'm game to open a few river cruise line ROLL CALL forums. My thought process is to create one for each of the top river cruise lines, with anything else remaining in the "ALL OTHER category".

That said, I'm looking at to start:

Avalon

Amawaterways

Uniworld

Viking

I'll move over existing ROLL CALLS into their new home, and we'll see what we are left with

Laura, Thank you for trying to make some order out of the roll call mess. Expect to be beseiged by the "cheerleaders" for the lines not mentioned. Yes, I realize you are making a start and again thank you. Pat

Moving forward, I'm game to open a few river cruise line ROLL CALL forums. My thought process is to create one for each of the top river cruise lines, with anything else remaining in the "ALL OTHER category".

That said, I'm looking at to start:

Avalon

Amawaterways

Uniworld

Viking

I'll move over existing ROLL CALLS into their new home, and we'll see what we are left with

Thanks Laura

I think that is all we were asking for was some sort of of organization in the ROLL CALLS

Lyn

I gave up and never check for mine.

I think part of the problem is numbers. The ocean cruises might get a 2 to 5 percent response, but with 2000 to 6000 on most ships that is 40 to 300 people. Most river cruises are about 100 to 150 passengers. That would equate to 2 to 8 people on the roll call.

Paul is exactly right! With only ~100 people on a ship at a time, you're likely to get one at the most that responds, and frequently "none."

Also at this stage of cruising, I think river cruisers tend to be older and more "old school" than the thousands of passengers on the more popular ocean cruise ships with the steel drum bands, pub crawls, etc. When you have ships like Carnival 'the fun ships,' that attract a younger crowd... they tend to be more internet savy and more likely to "chat" than the 60-80 year old crowd that dominate river cruising at this time.

And another thing... on the big ships Cruise Critic roll call people typically have a meet-and-greet on the their cruise where they meet personally... and these typically have about 10-30 people there. On a river cruise, you're going to meet EVERYONE on the ship personally, since there's so few people, so there's no need to have a meet-and-greet since you'l likely meet and talk to everyone on the ship anyway.

As River Cruising becomes more popular, which it sounds like it is getting to be, I would expect more people to resond to roll calls. But for now there just aren't enough per ship to amount to much response.

I was going to put in a request for a roll call for the Uniworld trip I'm going on next week, but due to the lack of response on the "All River Cruisers Roll Call" boards, decided it wouldn't be worthwhile.

So bottom line: I don't think there would be many more responders if All River Cruise Roll Calls were re-organinzed, but it might make it easier to find your particular roll call if someone put in a request for it.

Edited by Baybear

Laura, Thank you for trying to make some order out of the roll call mess. Expect to be beseiged by the "cheerleaders" for the lines not mentioned. Yes, I realize you are making a start and again thank you. Pat

Just visited river cruise roll call and agree with all that's been posted. Laura I would also add Vantage to your list because there seems to be a lot of posts regarding them. Thanks....Vantage cheer leader!! :):D

Baybear, you are right, there are definity less people on a river cruise. Sometimes even using the search function you can't find the cruise and then lo and benold a double roll call. It would so help to see how the first organization goes. Next year Viking will have more than 12 boats sailing in Europe alone. It has gotten very crowded over there in the past 11 years. Pat===15 river cruises and more to come.