Riviera-Live- Barcelona to Istanbul- July 2014

computerworks

I don't recall the name, but we were alone and away from the pier that usually houses the larger ships in a row.

Sounds like the same place if the other ships were further away from Columbus Circle than you. Thx

I definitely would. It was a fun ride with some great views, and a photo op stop up in the mountains. The first train is at 10:10...the station is easy to get to by bus or taxi. It took about 1 hour and ten minutes total.

We opted to continue on the tram down to Port de Soller as well. It made for a nice day with some great changes. Since we did not want to cut it short, with a sailaway time at 4pm, we took a taxi back to the ship. We could have made it with a train ride back, but did not want to risk it. The cab ride back was very quick./..faster than the train for sure. ;)

I'll post more pics when we get home.

I am really enjoying your review and photos. Thank you for taking the time to post.

We will be in Mallorca this fall and are planning to take the tram to Port de Soller . Do you remember how much it cost for the taxi back to the ship? It would be nice to have more time to see the sights.

Ron, I am simply a lurker here; I watch the Oceania board specifically for your cruises. Your photographs are always perfect and bring back such wonderful memories of my husband's and my favorite cruises and places. You capture light so well, even on overcast days and I have rarely seen such beautiful night shots.

Thank you for letting us ride along with you and Angela on your travels. More please.

Sail on, Winnie

• 6 months later...
Made it to Cinque Terre...and visited 4 of the 5 villages. Long day...but surely worth it.

...just time tonite for a few pics. I promise more when we get home.

14443621729_480547b060_o.jpg

14443622069_24feddbc46_o.jpg

...tomorrow, we explore Sardinia.

(Dinner tonite on the Terrace...across the dock from the Seven Seas Mariner.

She sailed shortly before we left Livorno.)

Hi Ron. Beautiful pictures. I'm visiting Cinque Terre on the Riviera in August and was wondering if you did the Oceania tour or something on your own. Your photos are fantastic so I'm curious. Which tour did you do? Thanks!!

• 1 month later...
Yes, we always arrange the cars in advance.

And, for sure, there is so much to see...wish we had more than a day.

Here is where we went with the car... each stop is a white circle.

14434685942_3a788e056d_b.jpg

Hi Ron. I am trying to figure out what company to rent a car from on Ibiza. Who did you use? Thanks!

How did you do Cinque Terre from Livorno? Ship's tour, or independent?

If independent, you might've taken the train there or you might've rented a car -- but with the rental, you have to park above one of the towns and then get yourself down into town! so I'm guessing you took a train.

How did you do Cinque Terre from Livorno? Ship's tour, or independent?

If independent, you might've taken the train there or you might've rented a car -- but with the rental, you have to park above one of the towns and then get yourself down into town! so I'm guessing you took a train.

Great question... I struggled quite a bit on how to execute the day.

Ended up booking a private car and driver that picked us up and returned us to the ship. We were joined by a guide in La Spezia...who stayed with us all day.

We had planned train and ferry to hit all the towns, but weather ruled out the sea transfers...so we went via train and car (where possible).

This type of port activity is so out of character for me, since I like to do most all on my own. But, Cinque Terre was to be such an important day for us...and, at the time, my wife had on-and-off back issues... so I took the painless way out.

It worked perfectly and I am glad we did it that way. :cool:

Great review & photos! I'm looking around for a cruise to do in summer 2016 and/or summer 2017 - my husband & I went to Istanbul on a cruise in 2013 and we had lunch at Imbat! Thought I recognised it! The food there was excellent :)

Great question... I struggled quite a bit on how to execute the day.

Ended up booking a private car and driver that picked us up and returned us to the ship. We were joined by a guide in La Spezia...who stayed with us all day.

We had planned train and ferry to hit all the towns, but weather ruled out the sea transfers...so we went via train and car (where possible).

This type of port activity is so out of character for me, since I like to do most all on my own. But, Cinque Terre was to be such an important day for us...and, at the time, my wife had on-and-off back issues... so I took the painless way out.

It worked perfectly and I am glad we did it that way. :cool:

Sounds so wonderful. We did a 2+ week car trip around Italy (Rome and points north -- Rome without the car, of course) and Cinque Terre was such a highlight. We do also hope to return.

We stayed two nights in the second town, where we had dinner both nights. During the day (half day on arrival, full day in between sleeps) we visited the other towns, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Enjoy the planning and then the doing! and thx for all your helpful info here.

--May