Riviera-Live- Barcelona to Istanbul- July 2014

computerworks

How much advance notice did you have about the train strike? We are doing a B2B with Civitavecchia as the turnaround port. Planned on driving into Rome with my brother who will be getting off the ship and then taking the train back mid afternoon. Is it possible one could just get stuck?:eek: I don't know whether O does any tours (like Rome on your own) between cruises. Neither roll call is very active, but so far one else has mentioned they will be on both cruises. I'm sure we are not the only ones, but who knows how many there will be?

Your photos are spectacular. Was there a special reason there were fireworks in Cannes. That shot is amazing.

Marilyn

It was part of the Cannes Fireworks Festival.

It is in the fantastic setting of an open bay between the Iles de Lérins and the Pointe de l’Estérel, in a natural setting and the 400 metre wide and 200 metre high, star bedecked screen of the City of Cinema, that the best pyrotechnicians will come to compete and win before an audience of 200,000 people, their heads craned skywards. This is a meeting of the gods of the world of fireworks.

9th, 14th, 21st, 29th JULY - 7th, 15th, 24th AUGUST 2014

www.festival-pyrotechnique-cannes.com

We were just lucky to be anchored there on one of the nights of the competition.

Marilyn, we had very little notice about the strike...it was rumor about 36 hours prior to our arrival. Even the day before arrival, no one onboard knew for sure. We would have rented a car, but there were no rental places open on Sunday... only at the Rome airport, not a good option.

As far as the fireworks... we got lucky with the date...

http://epicfireworks.com/blog/2014/04/cannes-international-fireworks-festival-2014/

Ron;

Overall, how would you rate the food at each of the dining venues? We board in 6 weeks.

It was exceptional across the board. I am relatively easy to please and I don't sweat the small stuff...but really have no complaints at all.

Because of the port schedule this trip, we had more dinners in the Terrace Cafe than ever before...and enjoyed them all. Certainly a wide assortment of choices every night. How can steak, lobster, crab legs and Caesar Salad disappoint?

Several meals in the GDR... all top notch. Great variety, night to night. The service was special and attentive. Never had less than a half full glass of wine.

As far as specialties, Polo and Jacques were the hits this trip. I had a perfect porterhouse in Polo and, for the first time, really enjoyed the entire meal in Jacques. Dover Sole was a highlight. I hadn't been a big fan of Jacques until this trip.

Toscana and Red Ginger were also good but, as I mentioned earlier, they need to shake up the menu a bit. Toscana needs some better desserts, too. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the great trip report! We are going to be on the Riviera next summer. Did you reserve a car rental before arriving in Ibiza? Was there a lot to see in terms of scenery and beaches to make renting a car worth it?

Thanks,

Lara

Thank you for the great trip report! We are going to be on the Riviera next summer. Did you reserve a car rental before arriving in Ibiza? Was there a lot to see in terms of scenery and beaches to make renting a car worth it?

Thanks,

Lara

Yes, we always arrange the cars in advance.

And, for sure, there is so much to see...wish we had more than a day.

Here is where we went with the car... each stop is a white circle.

14434685942_3a788e056d_b.jpg

You folks should be paid by O. I saw your Caribbean cruise review and photos. DW and I decided to go on that cruise and now this. DW wants to give this a shot especially since she read your comments on the travel chair (more details/photos, please). She has back and nerve issues as well.

Shame on you for spending our money. We have enjoyed every picture.

Thanks for your efforts.

You folks should be paid by O. I saw your Caribbean cruise review and photos. DW and I decided to go on that cruise and now this. DW wants to give this a shot especially since she read your comments on the travel chair (more details/photos, please). She has back and nerve issues as well.

Shame on you for spending our money. We have enjoyed every picture.

Thanks for your efforts.

+1 Agree completely.

+1 Agree completely.

+2.

Your wonderful photos and information regarding your car rentals on your Caribbean Hideaways cruise encouraged my taking a chance to drive around two of these beautiful islands (Antigua and St. Barts.)

Edited by CintiPam

Thanks for the Ibiza car rental info. I really enjoyed checking for your posts each day while you were on the cruise. The map is a great visual. Was it hard to find parking at the various beaches? We would like to visit a few nice beaches and take some island photos during the day using the rental car.

.....Lara

Was it hard to find parking at the various beaches? We would like to visit a few nice beaches and take some island photos during the day using the rental car.

.....Lara

Lara...not at all.

In Santa Eularia. we parked right on the street.

Be AWARE that in most of the cities in Spain, like many other European cities...they have a parking fee that is not so obvious. You park in a normal place along the street...then look for a kiosk where you throw in a few coins for time, and get a receipt that you leave on your dash. The police DO patrol and check your receipt.

parking.jpg

In Sant Antoni, there were large, free municipal lots to park near the main beach.

A few pictures from today's travels...

Brunch

14429515590_4182b24249_b.jpg

Cannes

14615639422_3fcdf08df7_b.jpg

Monte Carlo

14615639902_15880915c5_b.jpg

The rare picture of me, taken to prove i was on this trip...

14429515610_fb4e1b2d4c_b.jpg

Had a coffee there a couple of times good pics and reports thanks

Ron,

It was great reading all your posts and enjoying all your photos. On Oct. 12th, I expect to be boarding the Riviera, also in Barcelona, for my first Oceania cruise.

Can you tell me what time the main show is most evenings?

And, will we be able to drop off our luggage around noon and then venture out again if it looks like we really won't be able to board until 3 pm?

Thanks again for this great trip report!

--May

Ron,

It was great reading all your posts and enjoying all your photos. On Oct. 12th, I expect to be boarding the Riviera, also in Barcelona, for my first Oceania cruise.

Can you tell me what time the main show is most evenings?

And, will we be able to drop off our luggage around noon and then venture out again if it looks like we really won't be able to board until 3 pm?

Thanks again for this great trip report!

--May

You are welcome, May. Enjoy your cruise!

The shows are usually at 9:30.

That Noon to 3pm really doesn't leave much time. From the port to the base of La Rambla could be a 20+ minute cab ride each way.

You should be able to board before 3pm?

Edited by computerworks

You are welcome, May. Enjoy your cruise!

The shows are usually at 9:30.

That Noon to 3pm really doesn't leave much time. From the port to the base of La Rambla could be a 20+ minute cab ride each way.

You should be able to board before 3pm?

Ron, thx for the show info.

I am definitely hoping to be able to board closer to noon; but it sounded from a few posts I read that we may not be able to do that. We're in the last group, certainly, but we'll probably hang out and hope for a break in the action.

I had thought the port might be a bit closer to someplace we'd enjoy walking around. Evidently not! Again, your info helps me to know what to expect.

Your warm temps and sunny skies may not match what we'll find, but I'm sure we'll make do.

Again, thx for this great thread and for all the help you give your fellow cruisers!

--May

. From the port to the base of La Rambla could be a 20+ minute cab ride each way.

Brings up the question as to where Riviera docks. On our Regent Voyager cruise last year, we docked pretty much right at Ronda Littoral at the Port Vell terminal. Since Riviera is a bit larger, where did you embark?

Edited by Aloha 1