Internet Packages

Tothesunset

Another thread has drifted into, and got bogged down in, the matter of internet packages on SS. We were on the Shadow when the ''trial'' of the new packages was introduced and were not at all impressed.

We are not alone, I don't think, in using the 'net only to receive and send emails. While I understand there are many passengers whose needs are different, the new packages offer only a vastly increased cost to the minimal user. I see no reason why the 100 minutes and 250 minutes packages have been removed. These offered just the right amount of time, even on a 27 day voyage, at a reasonable cost.

How can I start a petition to reintroduce the 100 and 250 packages?

"An answer" although this is pure speculation is that this approach probably has two beneficial effects for SS of both increasing revenue but decreasing load because less will take the packages. And as most will be off the ship, eating or sleeping for most of the time, and the speed hardly allows for streaming so actual contention will reduce.

So essentially the number of customers complaining about speed will reduce and cash received will increase is my theory.

"An answer" although this is pure speculation is that this approach probably has two beneficial effects for SS of both increasing revenue but decreasing load because less will take the packages. And as most will be off the ship, eating or sleeping for most of the time, and the speed hardly allows for streaming so actual contention will reduce.

So essentially the number of customers complaining about speed will reduce and cash received will increase is my theory.

I wondered about this, too. Do they see this as a method of revenue generation? Clearly they are in business to make a profit - that goes (almost) without saying - but they are in competition with other lines whose internet prices are already more attractive. It seems odd to increase the cost for the low user. Also, if I have to buy 1000 minutes I will use 1000 rather than the 100 I did before. But I am actually more likely just to get wifi ashore. We had a 9 day internet ''out'' in Japan which demonstrated how useful free wifi in Starbucks/McDs really is (at the cost of execrable coffee).

From what I understand: months ago SS reps were sending emails back and forth to come up with a better internet package for their guests. They received lots of complaints on the old package. I believe they are truly trying to find something better for guests that lines up with other cruise lines. We will see how this all shakes out over the next few months...

Trying to decide if I should bring my lap top to the Galapagos. I am trying to limit packing. What are the new packages offered??? How many minutes and what is the cost?

Edited by llam
Additions

We were also on the Shadow when the change was made, at the beginning of the Tokyo to Seward cruise in early May. I posted about this, with details of the rates, at that time. It was to be a one month trial on the Shadow and Cloud. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42654409&postcount=42

Since it is still present on the Shadow, i suppose it is permanent. But I've seen no posts about this on the other ships. Does anyone know if these internet changes have been made on the other ships? We'll be on the Whisper in a few weeks, so i guess we'll learn then.

Trying to decide if I should bring my lap top to the Galapagos. I am trying to limit packing. What are the new packages offered??? How many minutes and what is the cost?

Seven months ago: Internet was free on the Silver Galapagos. We could also have laptops, tablets and phones all connected to the same room account. It worked great every time we used it. I was uploading lots of pictures after post processing to Dropbox. Internet usually is not free on Silversea unless you stay in large suites and even then you only get 200 minutes. So you may have to call to verify if WIFI is still free...

• 2 weeks later...

There is an interesting change in internet options starting this segment. I am told that this will be a month-long trial period on the Shadow and Cloud, to see how it works out and what passengers think of it. There will still be a 1000 minutes for $250 option, but the other buying a group of minutes options do not exist. Instead, you can buy unlimited access for 1 day (24 hours continuous from time of purchase) for $30; 2 day unlimited for $50; 3 day for $60; 7day for $130; and 8+ days for $16 per day. These times cannot be split up. They are a continuous period of time starting when you purchase. If you buy 1 day, it expires after 24 hours, whether you used it continuously or used it for one minute. Should be interesting.

These were the packages available on the Cloud for our cruise (8-4 to 8-13). It actually worked well for us. We did 2 of the 3-day unlimited packages over the course of the 9 days on board, which ate up some of our $300 OBC but that was fine. We timed the purchases so that we had short port days and/or sea days during those times. Speed was generally decent, and surprisingly fast at times. Though up around the North of Iceland, quality degraded somewhat; not unexpected.

The pay as you go option for $0.50 per minute still was offered, BTW. In the past we have used very little internet, and almost always have just used this option. But since we had OBC, and sea days, this new package worked well for us.

Seven months ago: Internet was free on the Silver Galapagos. We could also have laptops, tablets and phones all connected to the same room account. It worked great every time we used it. I was uploading lots of pictures after post processing to Dropbox. Internet usually is not free on Silversea unless you stay in large suites and even then you only get 200 minutes. So you may have to call to verify if WIFI is still free...

It was not free on the Silver Galapagos in May. The new fee program was in effect.