Honolulu Airport

SJSULIBRARIAN

There's the usual Food Court, but also lots of others to choose from. Here's a link to the airport website section that lists all the restaurants and shops by location in the airport:

http://hawaii.gov/hnl/shops-restaurants

One option to check out if you're near the Central Lobby - the Kona Brewing Company. Here's a description of their fare:

"Kona Brewing Company

The Kona Brewing Company’s airport pub features the brewery’s five flagship beers – Longboard Island Lager, Fire Rock Pale Ale, Big Wave Golden Ale, Wailua Wheat and Pipeline Porter. A vast selection of pupus, salads, sandwiches, entrees, gourmet pizzas and desserts complement the brews including marinated wings with a spicy teriyaki glaze, hard wood smoked baby back ribs smothered in porter barbecue sauce, and Kilauea Lava Flow brownie topped with vanilla ice cream and Pipeline Porter fudge sauce. Open daily from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m."

If you don't try it at the airport, check out the location in Kona.

The two that we enjoy are The Kona Brewing Company with tables looking down to the beautiful gardens, and Stinger Rays. Both need to be used before claiming luggage.

If you exit the airport and want a fun place to stop on the way to the pier, try the La Mariana Yacht Club, it opens at 11:00. It gets good reviews and is supposedly the last original "tiki bar" around. You would have your luggage but it would be a fun welcoming adventure to the islands with good food and drink!

Please try to arrive at least a day in advance. There were several people on our cruise whose flights didn't arrive in time. They caught the ship at our first stop.

I understand your advice and we normally do go in a day early but cannot this time. I have planned if our flight is late we will fly over to Maui.

Thanks for the restaurant suggestions.

If we do go to the la Mariana Yacht Club (I have had this recommended to us in the past, will there be any problem getting a cab to the pier?

Edited by SJSULIBRARIAN

I can't imagine a problem getting a taxi to the pier from La Mariana. You might be able to ask the taxi that takes you to pick you up at a certain time, and/or the restaurant will probably call a taxi. You can call the restaurant and see if they will do this, or use a cell phone to call a taxi 15 minutes before you are ready to go. Sounds like a fun way to start your island trip. Cherie

most of the food options at HNL are all airside; I think there is just a little snack bar landside at baggage claim.

I would try to go to Nico's or Uncle's at Pier 38. You could eat a nice seafood lunch at either one before getting on the ship.

We arrived at the Pier at about noon - being only one ship in port, embarkation was fast and smooth. Security fast and efficient

We were in a Suite so we ate in Cagney's - some cruisers we met said they had a nice lunch in the MDR

Thanks for all suggestions. Unfortunately, we are not in a suite so doubt embarkation will go quickly for us. We did the POA two years ago and embarkation took over 1 1/2 hours for us.

I feel silly now having done a driving directions between Pier 2 and La Mariana and see how close they are, so realize a taxi should be no problem.