Heads up about final charges on credit card

gkrnjlr

We were on the Liberty 2 weeks ago and when we received our final statement I tossed it into our backpack as we were getting off the ship. I normally don't bother keeping them after looking over them. The next day (after we were home) I checked the credit card statement online and noticed that the amount they charged was higher than our statement showed. We didn't buy anything extra and we didn't take anything from the cabin.

Fortunately I did keep my statement in the backpack and sent Carnival an inquiry. I never heard back from them but there is a credit to my credit card today for the difference.

Just a heads up to those of you that pay with a credit card. Keep an eye on the actual amount charged compared to the final statement.

Yes, I agree to always compare your credit card to the final S&S statement. I was charged for $12 worth of sodas from the mini fridge the morning of debarkation...would never have caught this unless I compared the charge on my credit card. We didn't touch anything in the mini fridge - called Carnival and it took 3 calls and about 3 weeks to finally get the money back. They say this kind of stuff happens all the time?!

Yes, I agree to always compare your credit card to the final S&S statement. I was charged for $12 worth of sodas from the mini fridge the morning of debarkation...would never have caught this unless I compared the charge on my credit card. We didn't touch anything in the mini fridge - called Carnival and it took 3 calls and about 3 weeks to finally get the money back. They say this kind of stuff happens all the time?!

On day 1 we asked them to empty the fridge out completely. They did.... but I wonder if that's what we were charged for. Our extra charge (and now credit) is $15.07. Not sure what it could be....

I always check our account daily, have only found 1 questionable charge which GS reversed. I always keep my final statement and compare it to my CC statement. Checking daily keeps me in the know as to what we owe so we know if we need to slow down or whatever. A good way to stay on budget and no sudden surprises on the last day.

Luckily I never had that happen. Have had some issues during the cruise, and thanks to FTTF was able to get them taken care of quickly at GS. The past few cruises I haven't given them a CC, and just set up a cash account. It's easier that way for me.

Edited by firemanbobswife

I always check our account daily, have only found 1 questionable charge which GS reversed. I always keep my final statement and compare it to my CC statement. Checking daily keeps me in the know as to what we owe so we know if we need to slow down or whatever. A good way to stay on budget and no sudden surprises on the last day.

I agree, I do the same thing. It's just so easy to look it up on the TV screen every so often. Gives me peace of mind knowing that my family is not going crazy charging their card. I don't like to put limits on them, they are almost adults and I have yet to have a problem with them spending.

This could be why I don't bother with F&F, I don't need to stand in a long line the last day with GS trying to adjust my invoice.

We've never had issues AFTER the cruise. One time I did have a charge for a bottle of water on my account. GS took that off for me.

We used to use cash all the time but now I have one credit card that I use JUST for cruises. It's easier to keep things set aside like that.

Our first cruise we used our debit card, they double charged us. It took 2 weeks to get it straightened out. We ONLY use cash now. It is the only way I will set up my on board account.

OUCH!!!! That's not good!

Before our first cruise I searched these boards for everything and have heard about people's bad experiences with debit card - so we used cash for a long time.

I am a frequent visitor of the kiosks to keep track of things. Plus it's nice to print out the statement. You can add money to your account right from there without having to stand in line for GS. But when they over charged us for some drinks, it was nice to be able to go to the quick line with FTTF. I never need to visit there day of debarkation for anything. Any cash/gift cards I want to apply to my account is done through a kiosk. Simple and easy.

Our first cruise we used our debit card, they double charged us. It took 2 weeks to get it straightened out. We ONLY use cash now. It is the only way I will set up my on board account.

Probably not a double charge but a charge and a hold. Takes a while for your bank to release the hold.

We had two waters added to the end by room steward. We explained that we took our own water and did not drink the water. Customer service argued and we finally got the credit. One time we had a charge for a towel of 22.00. We stated we purchased a towel and had no need to steal a towel. It was a long conversation and then they took it off. It has happened more than once. we always tell them to check our towels in, because they leave the doors open at the end and anyone could pick up a towel. i never have any room to steal a towel......

packed to the max...

Been cruising MANY years and never had a problem till two cruises ago when they charged me for a pool towel, then this last cruise when we were charged for a large water, both times the charges did not appear until the debark statement. In both cases, pointed out the items to the room steward before we left the ship but the charges were not removed. Had to call the cruise line (multiple times) and they did finally straighten both charges out but was definitely a hassle. I can only imagine what the line is making on these "mistakes" that are never caught or that people just don't bother to correct. Just strange that I've gone so many years with no problems and now have had them two cruises in a row. If it happens again on our upcoming cruise I will know for sure that something weird is going on.

I always use a cash account. I check the balance once a day, normally before turning it in for the evening. I make sure the balance versus what I've purchased is correct and never walk off the ship unless I'm satisfied that what I've purchased is all I've paid for when I leave. Plus, I NEVER go over budget due to paying as I go, adding a little at a time for anticipated purchases. I make careful choices and always plan a little contingency just in case something really special comes along. When the money is gone, I stop.

I stopped using a credit card account a long time ago, maybe after my second or third cruise after I got charged for a very expensive watch that I didn't buy. This was back when they used to write your folio number in for everything instead of just sliding your Sign and Sail Card like they do now. The sales person argued me down until she went back through her receipts and noticed the last two numbers of the folio were reversed. It was an honest mistake, but a mistake nonetheless and that would have gone on my credit card and would have been a nightmare to try and resolve after I was home.

But, that's just the way I do it. Saves me a lot of headaches based on the horrific incidents I've heard and read about down through the years and the problems encountered when trying to get it resolved.

Edited by Chief Cruiser

Been cruising MANY years and never had a problem till two cruises ago when they charged me for a pool towel, then this last cruise when we were charged for a large water, both times the charges did not appear until the debark statement. In both cases, pointed out the items to the room steward before we left the ship but the charges were not removed. Had to call the cruise line (multiple times) and they did finally straighten both charges out but was definitely a hassle. I can only imagine what the line is making on these "mistakes" that are never caught or that people just don't bother to correct. Just strange that I've gone so many years with no problems and now have had them two cruises in a row. If it happens again on our upcoming cruise I will know for sure that something weird is going on.

I TOTALLY agree......

Once I was billed for a cookie I did not purchase. I noticed when I got my statement under the door.

I let them know before I left and they removed it immediately.

Not sure it was intentional, BUT a few bucks here and there every week.....lotsa extra revenue. ;)

I've never had this problem, but I keep a tab on my onboard account every few days (and sometimes everyday) to make sure there's nothing out of the ordinary.

We do, too! Our onboard account was accurate. Even our final statement was correct. What was charged to our credit card did NOT match the final statement we received. It was $15.07 higher.

We're VERY on top of it onboard. But after we left something got added.

The card we use for cruising is ONLY used for cruising - so I know exactly what's on that card at all times and check it regularly.

We do, too! Our onboard account was accurate. Even our final statement was correct. What was charged to our credit card did NOT match the final statement we received. It was $15.07 higher.

We're VERY on top of it onboard. But after we left something got added.

The card we use for cruising is ONLY used for cruising - so I know exactly what's on that card at all times and check it regularly.

That is an odd amount. I would think the contents of the mini-fridge would total more than that. I would ask them to email you an itemized copy of all charges to see where this came from.

I have my first Carnival cruise coming up. I've never had a problem with charges on other lines but, after seeing this thread, I am going to set up a cash account this trip.

Edited by Ryndam2002

That is an odd amount. I would think the contents of the mini-fridge would total more than that. I would ask them to email you an itemized copy of all charges to see where this came from.

I have my first Carnival cruise coming up. I've never had a problem with charges on other lines but, after seeing this thread, I am going to set up a cash account this trip.

I'd love to know what the $15.07 was. They won't respond to my emails, but I know they got them because they credited the amount back to my credit card.

Great customer service there, eh?