First Aid Kit?

Scrap Addict

I also have ciprofloxacin for treatment of travelers diarrhea. Got the prescription from my Dr. I use it only when absolutely necessary but it works wonders.

It is surprising to me that a doctor would give a script for Ciprofloxacin unless that patient presented certain symptoms, and was then confirmed by lab tests to have a bacterial infection. Cipro is not prescribed for a viral infection.

That antibiotics have been over-prescribed has been a health warning.

Ciprofloxacin has several cautions and side effects. See http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/ciprofloxacin-oral-route/description/drg-20072288

Please discuss with your physician the use of Ciprofloxacin to treat diarrhea.

Edited to add: this might also be of interest http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/travelersdiarrhea_g.htm which presents a case for the use of Cipro to treat diarrhea - note that CDC page was last updated in 2006

Edited by Salacia

It is surprising to me that a doctor would give a script for Ciprofloxacin unless that patient presented certain symptoms, and was then confirmed by lab tests to have a bacterial infection. Cipro is not prescribed for a viral infection.

That antibiotics have been over-prescribed has been a health warning.

Ciprofloxacin has several cautions and side effects. See http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/ciprofloxacin-oral-route/description/drg-20072288

Please discuss with your physician the use of Ciprofloxacin to treat diarrhea.

Edited to add: this might also be of interest http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/travelersdiarrhea_g.htm which presents a case for the use of Cipro to treat diarrhea - note that CDC page was last updated in 2006

I wondered about that as well. It's a powerful antibiotic and not usually the one of first choice. At the same time, I know people who are immune-compromised and get prescribed either cipro or levaquin at the first sign of an infection. So I let the thought go.

But I wonder why people do not see the doctor on the ship. I have seen the ship's medical staff on at least 3 of my cruises, usually for tonsillitis, and have never had a problem, either getting reimbursement from my personal health insurance or through my travel insurance. It's a bit of a headache to file the forms myself, but I have never had a cruise-ship facility claim denied. And I'd much rather have antibiotics only when I need them than contribute to the over use.

I include a tiny tube of super-glue, and am surprised how handy that can be. Once for a loose tooth on a denture, once for a broken strap on a shoe, and once to fill a need for a fellow passenger. I keep it in my first aid pack because it's too small to find elsewhere.

crazy glue is a good idea.

We take our daily medication in the carry on and other medication in the suitcase. The 'other medication' is stuff that we have needed at some time or other before: band aids and disinfectant, Imodium, cold medicines, aspirin, seasickness meds including ginger. I wish I could turn the clock back and travel with just a few band aids as I used to in my youth.

In countries with great pharmacies like France and Australia, I have found excellent motion sickness pills that I prefer to bonine and dramamine. They also sell chewable aspirin in adult strength. No water needed and the pills work fast. They are also available in Germany and Austria. Haven't tried yet to buy them in other European countries.

Dear Canadians, is chewable aspirin available? How about motion sickness pills that don't knock me out? We will fly via Toronto (one day) to our next Asian destination.

as far as Sunscreen is concerned, we bring a pack of Sunblock "wipes". . as they easily fit flat in the suitcase, or back pocket, and you can just tear them open and use on face/arms.

We've done that instead of a can of spray for years now, and works perfect for us.

one other thing we never travel without? Rain ponchos -- bought at Academy. We hardly EVER use them for the intended purpose, but they are almost the exact size/shape of a wallet. So we carry them in our back pockets as a "decoy"

twice in the past, we have been pick-pocketed of our ponchos (while our wallets stayed safely in our front pockets :))

Figured I'd share our "trick" for the guys!

We take our daily medication in the carry on and other medication in the suitcase. The 'other medication' is stuff that we have needed at some time or other before: band aids and disinfectant, Imodium, cold medicines, aspirin, seasickness meds including ginger. I wish I could turn the clock back and travel with just a few band aids as I used to in my youth.

In countries with great pharmacies like France and Australia, I have found excellent motion sickness pills that I prefer to bonine and dramamine. They also sell chewable aspirin in adult strength. No water needed and the pills work fast. They are also available in Germany and Austria. Haven't tried yet to buy them in other European countries.

Dear Canadians, is chewable aspirin available? How about motion sickness pills that don't knock me out? We will fly via Toronto (one day) to our next Asian destination.

I'm not sure about chewable aspirin, but my brother buys a powdered aspirin in single dose size that he can take without water if he has a heart issue.

I don't believe bonine is available in Canada, but we have Gravol with ginger (or no-name equivalent), it doesn't make me sleepy YMMV.

Have a great trip.

I must be living on the edge. I only take my daily meds, and usually a couple of seasickness pills, because I usually become ill before I get my "sea legs" on the second or third day. Next time I'm going to take an OTC sleep aid, as I drink more caffeine than usual while on a cruise, and often have trouble sleeping at night. I figure I can get anything else from the Infirmary or in port.

I figure I can get anything else from the Infirmary or in port.

In port, that's what I thought, too. I went to Walmart in Puerto Vallarta and bought a cough medicine that looked like the American equivalent. A few hours later, my heart rate went up to a point where I had to sit down in the shade, drink water and breathe slowly.

From now on, I bring the cold medicines I am familiar with. Somebody is going to sneeze all across the breakfast table or cough directly into my face in the hallway - happened on my last a HAL cruise.

What I take depends on where I'm travelling, if Europe or US then I only take low aspirin for the flights and Vaseline.

Otherwise, malaria tablets and Immodium - though I prefer to buy local stuff which works much better than Immodium, the local pharmacists always seem to know what will work:cool:

I take sunscreen too but not as part of First Aid kit.

An eyeglass repair kit (with various size tiny screws and a tiny screwdriver). It's about the size of a deck of cards. When I lost the little screw from the frame of my eyeglasses, a very clever person lent me their eyeglass repair kit. It's about the size of a deck of cards. Later, I found the kit in a dollar store and now I keep it handy - it beats tape for holding the arms on eyeglass frame :eek::)

Edited by Salacia

What is "ginger candy" and where can it be purchased? Is it actually called ginger candy? (I know what it is used for.)

I buy the Ginger Chews from World Marketplace. They are "candy" but powerfully strong, I just nibble on the corner of one, I can't imagine eating them as candy but they do work wonders for us for immediate relief of motion sickness, I would never cruise, fly, or visit an amusement park without them in my bag.

http://www.worldmarket.com/product/ginger-chews.do

What is "ginger candy" and where can it be purchased? Is it actually called ginger candy? (I know what it is used for.)

I purchase mine at our local Hy-Vee supermarket. In that store, it is in the area where they sell the potatoes and onions. It is at the end of the aisle, which is across from the bags of lettuce. Also on the rack with the ginger candy are packaged dried fruits you would use for baking. Hope that is helpful.

Diane

• 7 months later...

It's been a while since I've posted my initial inquiry, but since I'm getting ready to depart for our month long adventure, I thought I'd post a quick recap of what most people recommended, in 3 general categories. Items with an asterisk * I believe are available for free from the ship's medical clinic or your cabin steward.

First Aid Related:

Aloe vera

Moleskin

blister block band-aids

Neosporin

Sunscreen

SPF Lip Moisturizer

alcohol wipes*

cotton swabs*

cotton balls*

bandaids*

bug repellent

Hand lotion

gloves

masks

Medications OTC:

Anti-acid

ibuprofen

Tylenol

Benadryl

Meclizine

Cough, cold & decongestant items

Bonine

ginger candy

cough drops

Immodium* Available for free, but you'll be quarantined!:eek:

Chewable PeptoBismol

general antibiotic

Sudafed

Swimmers Ear drops

Vicks

Electrolytes

Sundries:

Nail clippers

Miniture sewing kit

Small scissors

Tweezers

Super glue

Eyeglass repair kit

Rain ponches

Safety Pins

Laundry detergent

Daily meds only, both prescription and OTC. I can get all the bandaids, alcohol swabs, Bacitracin, and probably anything else I need in the Infirmary. No charge for anything I've listed.

I have never been on a cruise before and was told that these items were charged for, maybe another cruise line?

Medications OTC:

Anti-acid

ibuprofen

Tylenol

Benadryl

Meclizine

Cough, cold & decongestant items

Bonine

ginger candy

cough drops

Immodium* Available for free, but you'll be quarantined!:eek:

Chewable PeptoBismol

general antibiotic

Sudafed

Swimmers Ear drops

Vicks

Electrolytes

Where do you get a general antibiotic over the counter? Nowhere I have ever been has antibiotics available without a prescription.

I have seen antibiotic ointment available over the counter, but that's Neosporin and you have that listed separately.

You're right, in the US antibiotics are not OTC.

However, I was in Mexico over spring and bought them there where they are OTC.

I was quite amazed to see the drugs that were available OTC in Mexico.

While we can all argue about smoking, there should be no disagreement that tobacco is a quick acting and effective poultice that will immediately stop any burning or itching or stinging from any kind of bug bite and other types of skin irritations. When I still worked, I had very conservative, religious secretaries, who would not own a cigarette. I eventually talked all 3 of them into taking a cigarette home and putting it in their medicine cabinets. All found a necessary use for it with their kids at one time or another.

Wet it - whether by water or spit - and get it on the problem area ASAP. Very effective!!

We take our own pharmacy :). Normally we will have basic items like band aids, some larger bandages (good for blisters), Extra Strength Tylenol, Sudafed, hydrocort cream, and some broad spectrum antibiotics such as Cipro. And that would be the bare minimum. If we plan on doing ocean swimming and snorkeling/SCUBA we might also carry something for jellyfish stings such as a small spray bottle of vinegar or one of the special products for that purpose.

Hank

We take our own pharmacy :). Normally we will have basic items like band aids, some larger bandages (good for blisters), Extra Strength Tylenol, Sudafed, hydrocort cream, and some broad spectrum antibiotics such as Cipro. And that would be the bare minimum. If we plan on doing ocean swimming and snorkeling/SCUBA we might also carry something for jellyfish stings such as a small spray bottle of vinegar or one of the special products for that purpose.

Hank

Do you get these over-the-counter somewhere?

And to you and the others who pack antibiotics in medicine kits:

Do you worry about growing drug resistance by "self-prescribing" these anti-biotics they may not be necessary? Particularly second- or third-generation antibiotics like Cipro. I know it's expensive and time-consuming, but I would far rather make sure that I NEED an antibiotic with a visit to the on-board doctor, than take one when I did not need one.