Costco in/near Sydney

Unfortunately it would not work. Our population is not big enough and is too spread out geographically. We have the Warehouse ,but even that is struggling.

Costco do the research and set up in places where they know they have a population and a demand for their store. Some areas may be able to sustain a store but not at the profit margins they are looking for.

Costco do the research and set up in places where they know they have a population and a demand for their store. Some areas may be able to sustain a store but not at the profit margins they are looking for.

Aldi are very keen to set up over here, and have done extensive homework but that has shown that it is not viable ...yet.

Several Australian and International chains have tried , but they cant get the volume.

People dont realise that there are more people in Sydney alone than the whole of NZ.

The market dictates...thats why most cruises are out of Sydney.

Aldi are very keen to set up over here, and have done extensive homework but that has shown that it is not viable ...yet.

Several Australian and International chains have tried , but they cant get the volume.

People dont realise that there are more people in Sydney alone than the whole of NZ.

The market dictates...thats why most cruises are out of Sydney.

That is true.

No, because it's Gut as in rhymes with but,

Not Gut as in German for good.

Hi Gut

Wow, thanks for the clarification. In my mind i always pronounced it as the German. Now I know better, and feel like I am just meeting you for the first time!

And thanks for the station info. Sounds like it can be done in an emergency.

ML

Hi Gut

Wow, thanks for the clarification. In my mind i always pronounced it as the German. Now I know better, and feel like I am just meeting you for the first time!

And thanks for the station info. Sounds like it can be done in an emergency.

ML

I've had a few people on CCmake the same mistake, not anywhere else funnily enough and it's a nickname I've carried for about 50 years now (and I'm not even 60 yet).

Some blokes I played football with thought it was from the way I played (took a lot of guts to do that) but it was purely based on two things, my brother was also gut, I started as little Gut (considering when he was 15 I was 10 but bigger than him I never got it) then Gut's Brother, and then just Gut.

Anyone who has actually met me would never make the mistake. I have the physical attributes to prove it.

Lidcombe station is the most direct route straight down John St to Parramatta Rd.

About 20 to 25 minute walk.

There is a taxi rank on the John St side of the station that will get you there in 5 minutes.

Would have to call a taxi to get back to station.

Thank you--I was wondering hiw easy it would be to get a cab back to the station.

Batteries are probably not the key to Costco.

OP also indicated checking whether the hearing aid would require adjustment. So, in need of the audiology service.

Yes, i will have plenty of batteries but I want to know I can go there if there are any bigger issues. I know they sell the same hearing products, but there is some question if the program for my device would be available via computer. That is unlikely to be the problem.

Just have to say, in the US, we love Costco. I am looking forward to trying Aldi.

Thanks everyone for your help! Feeling much better about this now.

ML

Thank you--I was wondering hiw easy it would be to get a cab back to the station.

Yes, i will have plenty of batteries but I want to know I can go there if there are any bigger issues. I know they sell the same hearing products, but there is some question if the program for my device would be available via computer. That is unlikely to be the problem.

Just have to say, in the US, we love Costco. I am looking forward to trying Aldi.

Thanks everyone for your help! Feeling much better about this now.

ML

Probably worth checking if there are any other agents in Australia for your device.

A hint re cabs, when you get out, ask him for his number for the return trip, he'll probably give you his mobile and probably won't charge a booking fee, win win, he gets the return fare you save a couple of bucks.

Hope you enjoy your visit.

Probably worth checking if there are any other agents in Australia for your device.

A hint re cabs, when you get out, ask him for his number for the return trip, he'll probably give you his mobile and probably won't charge a booking fee, win win, he gets the return fare you save a couple of bucks.

Hope you enjoy your visit.

Gut (as in gut, not goot!)

Thanks. I meant to ask about this with cabs too but I forgot, great tip.

Loved your explanation about your screen name and your brother. And football. I will be starting another thread in a minute to ask if we can see any rugby or football while we are in Sydney. I think that would be a terrific addition to our trip!

ML

Edited by NoWhiners

Gut (as in gut, not goot!)

Thanks. I meant to ask about this with cabs too but I forgot, great tip.

Loved your explanation about your screen name and your brother. And football. I will be starting another thread in a minute to ask if we can see any rugby or football while we are in Sydney. I think that would be a terrific addition to our trip!

ML

Well that thread generated some attention.

If anyone's interested, we've still got a 2 system supermarket monopoly- Progressive and Foodstuffs. And in general, quite high food prices [at least, compared to AUS/US].

More competition would be a real boon.

If anyone's interested, we've still got a 2 system supermarket monopoly- Progressive and Foodstuffs. And in general, quite high food prices [at least, compared to AUS/US].

More competition would be a real boon.

What about Countdown and New World, or are they just different names for the same two.

And to be fair we still have pretty much a duopoly here in Aus. Sure Costco have a couple of outlets and Aldi are growing, but Aldi carry such a limited range I'm not convinced they have had a huge impact on the big two.

What about Countdown and New World, or are they just different names for the same two.

And to be fair we still have pretty much a duopoly here in Aus. Sure Costco have a couple of outlets and Aldi are growing, but Aldi carry such a limited range I'm not convinced they have had a huge impact on the big two.

I think they are doing a marvellous job considering that wherever they establish a store Coles and Woolies not only lose a market share but have to reduce prices so the consumer wins both ways.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/business/retail/moodys-rings-aldi-alarm-bell-for-coles-woolies/news-story/5fa28b85abb45c9e06b89b1c9f502fea

http://www.news.com.au/finance/business/retail/customers-flocking-to-aldi-for-value-fresh-food-appeal-going-stale-morgan-stanley/news-story/f8fb58df8885d049d65fa59a4d91e28f

Countdown is owned by Progressive Enterprises which is in turn owned by an Australian Co....thats why Aussie cruisers feel at home over here. Its just the same as Oz.:D

Progressive Enterprises Limited was previously owned by the Western Australian Supermarket Group FAL - Foodland Associated Limited which operated Action Supermarkets, Supa Valu Supermarkets and Dewsons Supermarkets. It is now a wholly owned subsidiary of Australia's Woolworths Limited.

Countdown is owned by Progressive Enterprises which is in turn owned by an Australian Co....thats why Aussie cruisers feel at home over here. Its just the same as Oz.:D

Progressive Enterprises Limited was previously owned by the Western Australian Supermarket Group FAL - Foodland Associated Limited which operated Action Supermarkets, Supa Valu Supermarkets and Dewsons Supermarkets. It is now a wholly owned subsidiary of Australia's Woolworths Limited.

Thanks, it was obvious Countdown was owned by Woolies and New World by Coles, in fact I'm old enough to remember when Coles was styled Coles New World in Aus.

Thanks, it was obvious Countdown was owned by Woolies and New World by Coles, in fact I'm old enough to remember when Coles was styled Coles New World in Aus.

Its a bit more complicated than that. I may not have explained correctly. Countdown is Australian owned and New World is owned by Foodstuffs which also owns PakN Save and is a NZ owned and run Coop .

I joined when they first came to CBR, went about 3 times but it's not my type of shopping so don't bother any more.

Didn't bother to join, but did go along once or twice with a friend. Definitely not my type of shopping either.

Any shopping that doesn't involve a Seapass Card/Sail&Sign Card or similar is not my type of shopping :)

Any shopping that doesn't involve a Seapass Card/Sail&Sign Card or similar is not my type of shopping :)

Yeah, won't honour my drinks sticker either, tried a few places when I got home, they looked at me like I had three heads or something.

Well that thread generated some attention.

I am late in replying, too many questions asked, too little time! It did get quite a bit of feedback and I learned a lot. You probably saw that I have a tentative plan. It was Mic's idea and I like it. I think I'll bring enough cash to thank the locals for their help...

ML