Royal Caribbean Mandates Travel Insurance?

In looking at the "fine print" of the terms and conditions on RCI's Australian website I found this little gem:

"All guests must obtain appropriate personal travel insurance at the time you book your cruise..." (Emphasis added by me)

Now DW & I usually take out an annual policy and are therefore always covered but I never realised it was a mandated condition of travel.

Has anyone ever heard of this being enforced by the cruise line?

In looking at the "fine print" of the terms and conditions on RCI's Australian website I found this little gem:

"All guests must obtain appropriate personal travel insurance at the time you book your cruise..." (Emphasis added by me)

Now DW & I usually take out an annual policy and are therefore always covered but I never realised it was a mandated condition of travel.

Has anyone ever heard of this being enforced by the cruise line?

Just a side note realised last year when looking to take out another annual policy that many now do not cover cruises.

With P&O Cruises UK , Insurance is compulsory.

Here's an extract from their FAQ's

Q. Will I need travel insurance?

Yes, it is a condition of the contract that you obtain travel insurance to cover the risk of you needing medical care on board or in a foreign country. Your insurance must include cover for all pre-existing medical conditions and must cover emergency evacuations from the ship, shore hospital medical costs, and repatriation costs. It should have a limit of not less than £2 million. You should ensure that you have adequate travel insurance at time of booking.

We have chosen Holiday Extras (for UK Citizens only) as our preferred travel insurance provider and Holiday Extras can offer a comprehensive travel insurance policy, that will cover you for cancellation, medical expenses, personal belongings, missed cruise departure, unused shore excursions, cabin confinement and cruse itinerary changes, as well as covering 97% of all customers with pre-existing medical conditions.

Holiday Extras insurance (for UK Citizens only) meets our requirements set out in the terms and conditions of the booking. You'll find further details in our brochure and you can obtain a quote and full terms and conditions via our dedicated Holiday Extras page or by calling 0800 093 3070, quoting reference WC442.

If you choose a different insurer you will need to ensure the policy covers you for all medical costs you may incur due to pre-existing conditions or otherwise, as set out above.

Q . What happens if I do not have travel insurance?

You will not be able to travel without travel insurance. Please ensure you can obtain travel insurance before you book your holiday. It is a condition of the contract that you obtain travel insurance to cover the risk of you needing medical care on board or in a foreign country.

Hmmm... Now I'm a bit concerned reading some of the "legal" wording quoted here from the cruise lines.

I am using a complimentary travel insurance that comes with my credit card, but they don't issue a policy before you travel. You just have to charge a significant amount on your credit card to "pre-Pay" part of the trip. Then, if you need to make a claim, you simply contact the banks insurer with the details.

What happens if the cruise line asks to see the policy or a policy reference number before you board?

Yes, I am probably jumping the gun on this, but it does make you wonder.

With P&O Cruises UK , Insurance is compulsory.

Here's an extract from their FAQ's

Q. Will I need travel insurance?

Yes, it is a condition of the contract that you obtain travel insurance to cover the risk of you needing medical care on board or in a foreign country. Your insurance must include cover for all pre-existing medical conditions and must cover emergency evacuations from the ship, shore hospital medical costs, and repatriation costs. It should have a limit of not less than £2 million. You should ensure that you have adequate travel insurance at time of booking.

We have chosen Holiday Extras (for UK Citizens only) as our preferred travel insurance provider and Holiday Extras can offer a comprehensive travel insurance policy, that will cover you for cancellation, medical expenses, personal belongings, missed cruise departure, unused shore excursions, cabin confinement and cruse itinerary changes, as well as covering 97% of all customers with pre-existing medical conditions.

Holiday Extras insurance (for UK Citizens only) meets our requirements set out in the terms and conditions of the booking. You'll find further details in our brochure and you can obtain a quote and full terms and conditions via our dedicated Holiday Extras page or by calling 0800 093 3070, quoting reference WC442.

If you choose a different insurer you will need to ensure the policy covers you for all medical costs you may incur due to pre-existing conditions or otherwise, as set out above.

Q . What happens if I do not have travel insurance?

You will not be able to travel without travel insurance. Please ensure you can obtain travel insurance before you book your holiday. It is a condition of the contract that you obtain travel insurance to cover the risk of you needing medical care on board or in a foreign country.

The only cruise on which I was asked to produce travel insurance was my cruise to Antarctica, which makes sense because of the isolation.

This fine print for P&O (UK) cruises would exclude many people with pre existing conditions.

Pity Holiday Extras, with its extensive coverage, is only available for UK passengers.

Hmmm... Now I'm a bit concerned reading some of the "legal" wording quoted here from the cruise lines.

I am using a complimentary travel insurance that comes with my credit card, but they don't issue a policy before you travel. You just have to charge a significant amount on your credit card to "pre-Pay" part of the trip. Then, if you need to make a claim, you simply contact the banks insurer with the details.

What happens if the cruise line asks to see the policy or a policy reference number before you board?

Yes, I am probably jumping the gun on this, but it does make you wonder.

Not sure which Credit Card/Bank or insurer you're with but I noticed a recent change in this (well a change to my knowledge at least). I'm with CBA and the insurance is with Alliance.

For our recent cruise (Mar/Apr) I checked on coverage and see that you now need to register your trip (each trip) to access other than basic cover. It was still free but some questions (on-line) had to be answered and they then issued a certificate by email. Took just a few minutes.