Curling irons on Amawaterways

IaTravelGirl

My question should have been why is it not dangerous to use an "electric" razor in the bathroom where there is water when the purpose for not having an outlet for a hair dryer in the bathroom was because there is water there. I would imagine either way of getting electrocuted would be the same. (just kidding).

Cole

In the US a standard circuit breaker is 20 amps. Outlets specifically for shavers are probably limited to 0.1 amp - not enough power (= volts x amps) likely to kill you.

In the US a standard circuit breaker is 20 amps. Outlets specifically for shavers are probably limited to 0.1 amp - not enough power (= volts x amps) likely to kill you.

Thanks for clearing that up. I could never figure out the difference.

Cole

Can you plug in a converter and use it that way?

It's just so silly that I even think I have to have mine, but you know how it is when your hair is a mess. You feel like a mess. :)

Dual voltage curling irons are readily available, in fact your curling iron may already have this feature. I have purchased mine in grocery stores and one from Walmart. Mine is made by Conair and was under 20$. Read packaging and look for Dual Voltage. You will need a plug adapter ( also cheap) so that prongs will fit. This is found at any airport store. You do not need to "flip a switch" on these curling irons . They are foolproof. I,ve used mine many times no problem. If Amawaterways is fussy I would keep packaging to show them.

So do they allow extension cords on AMA? I have one that has 6 AC and 6 USB plugs for all of our electronics - camera, two phones, etc.
Most "extension cords" with multiple AC and USB outlets also have surge protectors. Surge protectors work by tracking differential to ground. Ground does not exist on boats and ships. Surge protectors are prone to causing fires when used on boats. Fire is a sailor's worst nightmare. I hope AMA does not allow such devices.

I just returned from onboard the AmaVida - the Douro River cruise.

I can't address the curling iron because I don't use one. However, the HAIR DRYER provided by AmaWaterways worked just fine. BUT, there is no outlet in the bathroom. (I get that, they don't want the risk of using electricity around water.)

I had to unplug the lamp on the desk and use that socket. Then, I had to lean way over the bed where the mirror was located to see myself and dry my hair. There was a socket in the entry way, but that was not close to a mirror.

Several ladies onboard were talking about the inconvenience of where the placement of electrical sockets are in the stateroom. At least on the AmaVida, there are no sockets close to mirrors!

By any chance, have you posted a review? We are sailing AMA next year on the Douro and would be very interested. Thank you!

If the power strip is just a power strip and not a surge protector is it safe? I have a 3 outlet and USB port strip that I travel with, because my camera battery charger needs an actual plug, and I also have my phone and my iPod. I find it very helpful in hotels because frequently the only available outlet is out of the way, and this has a (short) extension cord that frequently gets me to somewhere a little more convenient to plug things in.

If the power strip is just a power strip and not a surge protector is it safe? I have a 3 outlet and USB port strip that I travel with, because my camera battery charger needs an actual plug, and I also have my phone and my iPod. I find it very helpful in hotels because frequently the only available outlet is out of the way, and this has a (short) extension cord that frequently gets me to somewhere a little more convenient to plug things in.

That's why we purchased the voltage converter we did... we can plug in 2 tablets using the plugs, and 2 phones with the usb connectors, as well as my camera when it's needed.

That's why we purchased the voltage converter we did... we can plug in 2 tablets using the plugs, and 2 phones with the usb connectors, as well as my camera when it's needed.

I don't need a voltage converter. All of the things I plug in are dual voltage.

We purchased a dual voltage and you still need the convertor to use with it!! I took pictures of my curling iron box stating it was duel voltage and have my convertor ready to show ama on our upcoming Rhone river cruise should I be questioned! Without a duel voltage appliance and just a convertor you are sure to ruin your curling iron (I have) !! Or buy a European appliance! Just google duel voltage straighteners but no you still need to bring a convertor! Ps- I always bring a small extension cord!! Good luck!! I hope they don't give me any problems! Our last AMA cruise we had no issues! Happy cruising[emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We purchased a dual voltage and you still need the convertor to use with it!! I took pictures of my curling iron box stating it was duel voltage and have my convertor ready to show ama on our upcoming Rhone river cruise should I be questioned! Without a duel voltage appliance and just a convertor you are sure to ruin your curling iron (I have) !! Or buy a European appliance! Just google duel voltage straighteners but no you still need to bring a convertor! Ps- I always bring a small extension cord!! Good luck!! I hope they don't give me any problems! Our last AMA cruise we had no issues! Happy cruising[emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Jruns--are you confusing a converter with an adapter? All US plugs will require an adapter,regardless of its voltage.

By any chance, have you posted a review? We are sailing AMA next year on the Douro and would be very interested. Thank you!

I am in the process of writing a review. I want to make it as comprehensive and helpful as possible, so it takes time. I should post it in the next few days.

We really enjoyed the cruise and the pre and post extensions in Lisbon and Madrid. AmaWaterways did a nice job with the excursions, well organized, interesting, etc. We will probably not return to Lisbon, it was nice but nothing I would need to see again. The Douro Valley is very pretty and we enjoyed the ports.

Madrid and the day-trips to Toledo, Salamanca, etc. were really amazing. In fact, I would go back to Madrid in a heartbeat. There are several other places we would like to visit surrounding Madrid... like Segovia, Avila and others. Madrid is very clean and the architecture is beautiful, great museums, very good restaurants, and people were friendly.

I will try and finish my review and get it posted. In the meantime, if you have any questions, I can try to answer them.

• 1 month later...

Was recently on the AMAViola. The hairdryer provided was fine for my thick shoulder length hair, and I was able to plug into the bathroom and use the mirror. :)

Several years ago, I purchased a dual voltage (US plug) hair straightener and hot curlers. I carry small Euro plug adapters to use with these, and for charging iPhones/iPads (realized half way through the cruise that AMA has USB ports beside the bed and I did not need the adapters for the iProducts. :o Large cruiselines do not have USB ports. Nice touch!) I also have a battery operated fan that charges with a USB cord.

Taking my hair straightener/flat Iron was no problem. And I always wait until both are cool before storing.

Additionally, after burning up a white noise machine in a hotel on my first European trip, I got wise and purchased a machine with a Euro plug and voltage. It's great for traveling in Europe as I can use it in both the hotels, and on the cruiseships. Now I need to figure out if I can use the machine in Sydney and Auckland hotels when we go to AUS/NZ. I have ordered a couple of different AUS/NZ adapters (one for use with my US dual devices and a Euro to AUS/NZ for the white noise machine.) I just not sure if I can use the white noise machine in the hotels. I will be fine once we get on the ship - Celebrity Solstice.