sad news from the Oceania Insignia

xrvlcruiser

Thanks for posting, xrvlcruiser. I'd read your post earlier, but hadn't bothered to respond, as none of the rest of us have either. I always feel that it's slightly prurient to look at such reports, and I think that's maybe why I didn't respond. But that's silly: Those of us who cruise (anyone actually) and especially those of us who share in the Regent/Oceania "family" really do genuinely care about our fellows and to read such news is important and somehow "humanizing." So, a belated thank you for posting. I wish there were a way for all the loved ones to feel the sadness that so many of us feel for their loss.

It is good to see some caring on this board. We have been following every word on the Oceania Board. There will be several crew members from the Insignia joining the Riviera today. Perhaps the silence was the realization that this could happen on any ship. Thankfully the ship was in port. The thread that computerworks linked is definitely worth reading.

Poss,

I didn't post for the shock value. I did it because of the Regent/Oceania connection.

I am a long time Regent cruiser and - although I don't know who - am sure I know some staff/crew there.

Like Jackie - I have just embarked the Riviera. The staff/crew on both line are the heart and soul of the ships. One cannot sail on the ships - for me, it has been 12 years - and not know and love the crew/staff.

Peggy

Edited by xrvlcruiser

Peggy, every since you first posted this I've beem glued to the Ocenia forum. I'm sorry I did not make any comment before. I'm so sorry for the loss of life...I was so shocked and sad when that was reported. I have been very proud of many of the passengers attitude during this stressful time and the effort of many, many employees to do the best as possible under the circumstances.

This has made me more determined to continue carrying 4 days of essential drugs with me at all times...not vitamins, etc., a copy of our passports, a 50 dollar bill, and leave all my expensive jewelry at home. My sleeping appliance due to clinching would be left behind I guess 😱, I think these simple actions would help our anxiety and make us more calm in an emergency and be able to go with the flow and just be thankful we were ok.

Edited by rcandkc
Spelling

rcandkc,

I like your idea of carrying a few days of your prescriptions, it makes sense . . . . I think it is something I will do in the future. I also like the idea of extra money - a money belt might be a good idea - and I carry a copy of my passport when I'm off the ship.

I suspect that there are a large number of people watching how things progress. And I'm sure many of us know people planning to sail on the WC - either personally or through CC.

None of this changes the tragedy of the loss of life but I know we all hope that all will be better news soon.

A correction: I debarked yesterday, not embarked.

Peggy

Edited by xrvlcruiser

OF COURSE you didn't post because of the shock value, Peggy. I hope that's not what you thought I meant by my post. It was just that I felt bad that many people were checking out your post (which I had done early on too), and none was bothering to say, hey, thanks-- so I finally did.

Poss,

Honestly, I wasn't 100% sure - one of the problems with all email/postings is you can't tell the exact meaning - no body language, no verbal clues. Now that that's behind us!

Oceania seems to be handling things well although there are always issues in emergency situations.

In addition to the people who died, I feel badly for the staff and crew and for the future passengers who don't know yet what's going to happen.

Moving on . . . . .

Peggy