Hong Kong to Beijing Cruise

Sunprince

Just curious, but what's going on with this cruise? Seems to be selling slowly and this week I received an incredible offer from my TA with a substantial discount over Regent website prices. I won't post the discount as it may upset some whom have already already made their final payment. Unfortunately I was not able to take advantage of the offer. Is this not a good itinerary?

We did this, or a similar itinerary a couple of years ago on Voyager and loved every minute. But the weather wasn't brilliant (yes, it was cold) and the ports were not to everyone's taste. But as a means of exploring a different part of the world, it's hard to think of a more comfortable option! I blogged about our cruise here http://www.elegantsufficiency.org/blog/2013/2/27/love-it.html - the following twenty or so entries will tell the story!

Gilly, I can't wait to read your blog about this cruise. I feel like we are old friends. A couple years ago I read your blog about your visit to India before going on that cruise. I'm sure I'll get some good tips on buying shoes in China.

Hehe, Ladyfrog, China's not as good for shoes ;-) Funnily enough we were out shopping today and I was looking for a pair of comfortable party shoes. I told dh that I needed to pop over to Mumbai in the morning <g>

Having said all of that, we can have fun without shopping, can't we?!

Just curious, but what's going on with this cruise? Seems to be selling slowly and this week I received an incredible offer from my TA with a substantial discount over Regent website prices. I won't post the discount as it may upset some whom have already already made their final payment. Unfortunately I was not able to take advantage of the offer. Is this not a good itinerary?

I am one of those who signed up for this cruise a while ago, long before all those wonderful, amazing prices and perks -- which, as you no doubt will appreciate, I am not now entitled to. This does, in fact, make me quite upset. However, I also realize that we throw the dice and take our chances in these things. It really is a pity, however, that Regent can't bother to at least throw out a bone to those of us who signed up early; some small gesture of thanks would be nice.

All my ranting aside, I personally chose this cruise for the itinerary, which sounds very interesting. While the weather will indeed not be stellar, I'm not sure that would account for the apparently poor sales on this cruise. Who knows why it's not selling???

That being said, Regent has already cancelled at least two of their previously-offered shore excursions. Currently, I am not a very happy camper. And, alas, the requests of my TA are falling on deaf ears at Regent.

I will still very much enjoy (I hope) the ports and the cruise overall, but I am not so happy with Regent at the moment as I have been in the past.

Edited by Jassy

• 1 year later...
We did this, or a similar itinerary a couple of years ago on Voyager and loved every minute. But the weather wasn't brilliant (yes, it was cold) and the ports were not to everyone's taste. But as a means of exploring a different part of the world, it's hard to think of a more comfortable option! I blogged about our cruise here http://www.elegantsufficiency.org/blog/2013/2/27/love-it.html - the following twenty or so entries will tell the story!

Warning - dead thread resurrection!

Thank you so much for your blog - my wife and I are just starting to plan for a similar cruise and a search of CC brought me here. Your blog entries have me chomping at the bit to go. Probably won't be until '18 or so, but it's never too early to get excited for a trip!

Thanks!

Bill

UUNetBill, I love the Dead Thread warning!

You know, I'm rather jealous! I love that part of the world and that cruise was great. Glad it's whetted your appetite ;-)

OK then, here's a Thread Hijack Warning!

Gilly - I see from your blog that while in Hong Kong, you had Pete's Fashions copy a dress. Our granddaughter is getting married on New Year's Eve, and I'm planning to get a suit made at Pete's. My wife now is considering having a dress made too. Can you give me an idea how much we can expect it to cost?

We booked this cruise (Hong Kong to Beijing) while on board the Mariner this Spring. We were to have the best price guarantee until final payment. I intend to paste the above post in an email to customer service at Regent.

Before you do, you should know that the original thread is from 2014.

Just want to mention that taking an old thread and reviving it is not always such a good idea. We were booked on the same itinerary for this year but had to cancel. It ended up being a good thing because there were issues with missed ports, arriving late and leaving early, etc. For these reasons, IMO, it is best to have the most current information. All you need to do is start a new thread:)

P.S. We are booked on a somewhat similar itinerary for 2018 - not sure if we will cancel yet. It will depend upon how the 2017 sailings go. Note: the issues are with the ports - not with Regent.

Just want to mention that taking an old thread and reviving it is not always such a good idea. We were booked on the same itinerary for this year but had to cancel. It ended up being a good thing because there were issues with missed ports, arriving late and leaving early, etc. For these reasons, IMO, it is best to have the most current information. All you need to do is start a new thread:)

P.S. We are booked on a somewhat similar itinerary for 2018 - not sure if we will cancel yet. It will depend upon how the 2017 sailings go. Note: the issues are with the ports - not with Regent.

TC - true. I rarely resurrect old threads, but I saw this one and it related to an itinerary that I was very excited about. Just wanted to thank Gilly for her blog entries. I did post a 'resurrected thread warning' but I see now that those often get missed. In the future, I'll make sure I have a darn good reason to dig up an oldie like this.

We are on this itinerary in December 2017. I don't want anyone else to book it so Regent has to discount it heavily.

If you do book it; we will see you there! :D

Marc

Marc(q): Unfortunately, work schedules don't allow us to sail in December so you're safe from us booking this one. Now if I could find a similar sailing that's not year/quarter end, there might be hope - and THAT'S when I'll start a new thread. :D

<I have a darn good reason to dig up an oldie like this>

Hey, UUNetBill, watchit - who are you calling an oldie? ;-) <ggg>

(It's ok really, I have been called worse....)

<I have a darn good reason to dig up an oldie like this>

Hey, UUNetBill, watchit - who are you calling an oldie? ;-) <ggg>

(It's ok really, I have been called worse....)

Bwahahahahaha! I meant the thread, but if you want to claim the term, who am I to stop you? :D