Recent reviews of S.American cruises??

alexandra cruiser

For ports I like BA to Valparaiso.

Lots of wonderful places to see.

And I would recommend a pre cruise say in Buenos Aires for a few days. Beautiful city. Very European in its look.

When it comes to seas I have gone around the horn several times in each direction. You just never know what the seas/weather will be like. Could be smooth, chop or rough.

I would recommend this itinerary in a heartbeat.

Keith

sort of leaning toward the 8 day one from Ushaia to Valpariso,not listed in 2014 brochure but on web.Then do a pre and post cruise stay in ea.

But wonder about those small ports, is it mostly adventure type exc.?

Got a SA guidebook but very little about that area.

Maybe I ll google the ports,or check that section here on CC.

Know the Nov.one is considered summer down there,but sure it ll be cold and windy ,right?

What exc.did you take on that part of country?

If you were to start in Buenos Aires highs would be high 80's or into the 90's. Valparaiso would be similar. Unlike the concept in the USA as you sail South it gets cooler and windier. Highs might be 50's but with wind chill will feel like 30's/40's. You could have snow in Ushaia. You'll see it on the Mountain for sure.

You need to layer your clothing.

Think through flights to Ushuaia and investigate that.

Personally I would do the entire Buenos Aires to Valparaiso cruise as you have more stops and the Chillean Fjords. If you make it into the Falkland's it's wonderful for Penguin Viewing.

In small ports you can simply just walk towns or you can do a variety of tours. Some are more adventurous than others but some are not very challenging such as seeing Penguins. Ushuaia has a very quaint town or you could simply take the Catamaran or do something more strenuous.

Keith

just got off phone and NONE for next yr. WOW,,maybe for 2016 they said.Not exactly sure WHY,just changing scedules.

So will have to look into other lines.

Sad,had my heart set on trying SS.:(:(:(

Don't know who you were talking with, but SS does go to S America in '15. The Shadow does a complete circumnavigation and the Cloud does the Amazon.

just got off phone and NONE for next yr. WOW,,maybe for 2016 they said.Not exactly sure WHY,just changing scedules.

So will have to look into other lines.

Sad,had my heart set on trying SS.:(:(:(

I am a bit confused.

Before I responded to your post I looked on line at the itineraries for South America.

Keith

Don't know who you were talking with, but SS does go to S America in '15. The Shadow does a complete circumnavigation and the Cloud does the Amazon.

Can you tell me WHERE you found this info,,on the web I only see ones for 2014 and when I called SS the agent looked on HIS computer to tell me NOT DOING S.A.next yr.and took my email to let me know IF they ll do it in 2016.

Looks like I MAY have to call AGAIN,how odd.

Can you tell me WHERE you found this info,,on the web I only see ones for 2014 and when I called SS the agent looked on HIS computer to tell me NOT DOING S.A.next yr.and took my email to let me know IF they ll do it in 2016.

Looks like I MAY have to call AGAIN,how odd.

January 2015

http://www.silversea.com/destinations/southamerica-theamazon/?region=007&year=2015&month=01

Keith

If I remember right; silversea does one in January 2015, only in one direction. You could go with Seabourn, they have this route down pat. We were on this voyage just last year with them. Stayed extra days in Santiago and it was well worth it.

Edited by carefreecruise

I DID call again.The Nov.2015 that I was looking for is no longer avail.next yr.Wanted the 15 day from BA to Valpariso.

Will ck.out SB but think it may be too long.Only one close I found so far is Oceania(16 day) or then down to mass market lines.Which I really don t care for anymore.Regent, is 20 days(not retired yet and take 2, 2 wk .vac.a yr.),So sort of limited.