Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

Look2Sea

I don't think about the counting or number of days I have left I just tried to think about when our home will be paid for a new car since what we have is 8 years old now. We have some money set aside and have traditional old school retirement checks that will be coming in. Don't look at retiring as a date but when can you have sufficient savings and your retirement to give you the life you want to live.

But since you asked I am looking at about 2036 days (1march 2021).

I can go now if they piss me off but think

I would be in better shape in 2036 days. Your health also might play into this that is another reason I want to hang around for a while got a lot going on medically and like the doctors and hospital

Hope my comments help. Ask yourself when will you be ready to live as you want to. That's the date. Start counting but don't carve it into stone unless you have everything lauded out as you dreamed it would be

A log can happen between now and then. I can go now but would be better off later rather than sooner

I don't think about the counting or number of days I have left I just tried to think about when our home will be paid for a new car since what we have is 8 years old now. We have some money set aside and have traditional old school retirement checks that will be coming in. Don't look at retiring as a date but when can you have sufficient savings and your retirement to give you the life you want to live.

But since you asked I am looking at about 2036 days (1march 2021).

I can go now if they piss me off but think

I would be in better shape in 2036 days. Your health also might play into this that is another reason I want to hang around for a while got a lot going on medically and like the doctors and hospital

Hope my comments help. Ask yourself when will you be ready to live as you want to. That's the date. Start counting but don't carve it into stone unless you have everything lauded out as you dreamed it would be

A log can happen between now and then. I can go now but would be better off later rather than sooner

I agree with everything that you just said. I want to work for 3 years more years because then our house will be paid off. My husband has had a lot of health problems so right now insurance is cheap. Once we go on Medicare we also need a supplement which will be more expensive. Plus working until 66 will give me the full amount from SS and then I am not limited to how much I can earn. Right now I am making good money. But the most important reason is that I still enjoy teaching.

Right now I am making good money. But the most important reason is that I still enjoy teaching.

If you enjoy what you are doing, the main reason to look forward to retirement is not there.

I was retired when my job went away suddenly. The company gave me a separation package that carried me until Social Security and Medicare kicked in, so I was not a bit upset to leave a lousy job. I retired about 6 months before I had planned to leave.

• 2 weeks later...

swim549...........had mentioned about retiring next year. He had also mentioned about key people in the company being replaced by overseas people. We don't quite have that, but we have at least 50 or more that at "contractors," and then they let them go. As our company (DFA a big corporation) is having a lot of changes, moving to Kansas from Missouri, there are a lot of people quitting, or retiring, and I plan to retire next year, after 18 years being here.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not been on cruise critic for a bit because I was busy setting up my new classroom and getting ready for a different grade (old dogs can do new tricks). Debbie, my class is very warm and loving. The first week went well.

I am the younger teacher as my partner is 68 (five years older than me). My school has seen a lot of change but I would like to stay a few more years.

Kudos to you for enjoying teaching at this point in your life. You must be working at a wonderful school with great kids. DW was able to retire when she hit 63 and did not even wait to finish out the school year. Of course, she was in an inner city school with a terribly unprincipled principal. Actually, the last of a series of incompetent principals.

Kudos to you for enjoying teaching at this point in your life. You must be working at a wonderful school with great kids. DW was able to retire when she hit 63 and did not even wait to finish out the school year. Of course, she was in an inner city school with a terribly unprincipled principal. Actually, the last of a series of incompetent principals.

I am in a private school but like I said there have been a lot of changes recently. We have had several principals in the time that I have been there, some good and some not so good. Being in a private school, we always have to worry about enrollment which has been shaky in the last couple of years so of course they want to cut corners. They have been encouraging the older teachers to retire. Financially I need a couple of more years then I can work part time.

8 years 4 months and a day. Then I might be able to work one day a week!

I hope it goes fast. Most people fuss about getting older. I always say its one year closer to retirement!(partial:p) Just added a few more percentage points to my 403B. Adopting a more frugal lifestyle so I can focus on the important things. I just wish I didn't have to jump through so many hoops at work. Spent all day today preparing to teach a class tomorrow for 4 hours. So much for my days off!

8 years 4 months and a day. Then I might be able to work one day a week!

I hope it goes fast. Most people fuss about getting older. I always say its one year closer to retirement!(partial:p) Just added a few more percentage points to my 403B. Adopting a more frugal lifestyle so I can focus on the important things. I just wish I didn't have to jump through so many hoops at work. Spent all day today preparing to teach a class tomorrow for 4 hours. So much for my days off!

I so don't miss the prepping, politics, common core, etc. of teaching. I don't mind a bit being my age as opposed to working...lol.

Deb

I so don't miss the prepping, politics, common core, etc. of teaching. I don't mind a bit being my age as opposed to working...lol.

Deb

I'm actually a nurse and have to teach so many hours, have so many hours of community service, be involved with quality improvement/research and sit on committees. That is in addition to 3-4 12 hours shifts. Oh and 12-24 hours of call every 6 weeks. Then there are the phone calls at 5 am to beg me to come in extra:rolleyes:. My daughter is a teacher.... well, you know how that is!

I'm actually a nurse and have to teach so many hours, have so many hours of community service, be involved with quality improvement/research and sit on committees. That is in addition to 3-4 12 hours shifts. Oh and 12-24 hours of call every 6 weeks. Then there are the phone calls at 5 am to beg me to come in extra:rolleyes:. My daughter is a teacher.... well, you know how that is!

Bless you and you are "not just a nurse"!!!:) That is a lot of work besides your regular hours!!!

Deb

I have posted on here before that I didn't (still don't) know exactly when I will be retiring, but it is getting closer. The reason I say this, we are having the ground breaking ceremony tomorrow.

Some of you may recognize DFA, which Starbucks, Frito-lay, Bordens, Kemps, are some of the companies that are involved with us, and we mainly purchase milk from farmers.

What surprised me was that DFA is letting "everyone" here at the corporate office (300 or more people with pay) off for the afternoon tomorrow, to go to the ceremony. They are even providing transportation, if a person does not want to drive to Kansas, as well as something to eat.

I know most people are NOT happy about the building/moving to Kansas. Even though I was not planning on going to the ceremony because of my retiring when the building is completed, my supervisor thought it would be good for me to go, as I am the receptionst for the company, and there are always people asking me questions about the move, so time will tell when my last day will be here.

Glad to see this thread is still rolling along, Debbie & I counted down our time to retirement together for several months, hump days & all.

To those who are in countdown mode, enjoy the journey. To those who love your jobs & want to keep working, good for you! For me, after 8 months of retirement, I'm still adjusting. I miss my coworkers & being involved with the issues in our state, BUT, I do not miss the long hours & days that was associated with keeping 63 elected officials from doing something stupid & irreparable to the citizens of this state or themselves. :eek:

It's getting better everyday!

I have off today, not to see the Pope but to go to some preplanned doctors appointments with my husband. There has been a lot of excitement of the Pope's arrival and activities in DC. Several students from my school were able to attend the mass and other events. I was offered tickets to see the Pope today outside of Congress but we have waited for these two doctor appointments for a while plus we would have to be leaving now to get there.

I have also had to pick up my two grandchildren from daycare because mommy and daddy work downtown where everything is happening. Such is balancing work and other activities.

Will do Deb, thanks for asking.

My supervisor came down yesterday to my office (I am the receptionist for the corporate office of about 300 people), and closed the door. :( I thought to myself, "Oh no, I don't know of anything I have done wrong." Well it turned out that we have a facility in Wisconsin that is closing down, and the media will be on our trail. Well I had just found out this through one of our employees who had stopped by to chat, and told me. I told my supervisor, I have already had calls from the media. The good part was, at least our office was not closing down, so it looks like I will have another year there, which I am thankful for, until they move to Kansas. So that will make 18 for me. I just seen where ConAgra (I used to work for them) was having a large lay off, as well as Walmart.

• 4 weeks later...

Everyone on this site must be enjoying retirement because it has been a month since anyone has posted.

Debbie, I have been enjoying the younger students but I have to keep thinking about what they can do at this level.

My grandson is doing great in third grade. He loves the work and comes home each day works on his homework right after school. He will be turning 8 in two weeks. The school is having his brother tested for the gifted program at their school.

My daughter now needs to look at schools for my granddaughter. My daughter lives here so now is the time to fill out paperwork for tuition grants (like scholarships in college).

Going on a cruise in July out of Galveston with my son and his family that live in Texas.