Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

Look2Sea

This sound so familiar we encountered the same hesitation but once the medical portion was finalized we signed on the dotted line and haven't looked back. Now we are medicare age but ready for it, enjoy ALL your cruises.

I may have gone a little overboard with booking but DW has been saying for years that we should sell the house and move onto a ship. I know she was half joking but we will be testing the theory this winter. 35 days on the Liberty, 12 days home and then 53 days on the Grandeur. I will give us a good idea of weather or not we ever want to take a world cruise.

I may have gone a little overboard with booking but DW has been saying for years that we should sell the house and move onto a ship. I know she was half joking but we will be testing the theory this winter. 35 days on the Liberty, 12 days home and then 53 days on the Grandeur. I will give us a good idea of weather or not we ever want to take a world cruise.

I will be waiting patiently for your review of all the ports and i am so excited for you, since our retirement we are doing small steps combining long land portions with our cruises so one day 30,40,or 50 day cruise will be easy to handle.

Hey Debbie, are you still on this site? We are going on a cruise out of Galveston in a week with our son and his family. It was about 9 years ago that you and Janice were going on the same cruise as us (but then you could not go).

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been on this thread for a while. I retired from teaching June, 2014, and have not looked back for a second! Just looked at my cruise list and I will be starting cruise #25 since retiring on August 18th. I guess to say I love cruising is an understatement! I plan to keep on traveling as long as I can. Katherine

I just found this thread and thought I would share my story.

In May of last year I had a mild heart attack. One stint corrected the issue and I was back to work in after 2 weeks. About that time my travel send out and email with a ridiculously low price on a cruise from Sidney to Seattle. I was half kidding when I asked my DW if I should quit working and take it. She did not think much of the idea. About a week later she saw the printout I had on my desk and asked if I could afford to retire. She had already decided that she was going to retire by the end of the year. I decided to book the cruise and would have several months to figure out the numbers. I called my TA and make the booking. Two days later I received and email that my TA had died suddenly of a heart attack. He was only a year or two older than I was. I added a New Zealand cruise to the booking and spent the next few months crunching numbers and meeting with retirement planners. I finally found one I felt comfortable enough with to get past a first meeting. After a couple months of planning we had a plan in place. I would stop working in March and take the cruises in April. Our retirement started with a few days in Sydney followed by 35 days on the ship ending at home in Seattle.

We have talked for years about spending our retirement on ships and got off to a great start. We have budgeted for plenty of cruising the next few years while we can enjoy it. We currently have 22 cruises booked over the next 18 months.

As our financial adviser calls it: these our are GOGO years, later will be our NOGO years.

Inspiring post!

Inspiring post!

Indeed.

"only" 811 days and counting for me. It will soon come round. But, just for good measure to help pass away the time (between working) we have 3 cruises to look forward to. :)

Edited by ronpes

Indeed.

"only" 811 days and counting for me. It will soon come round. But, just for good measure to help pass away the time (between working) we have 3 cruises to look forward to. :)

Ronpes

with the number of cruises you have coming up and past cruises you have done what will be your special Retirement trip, we talked to our PVP and the new ship Horizon will start advertising next year to Europe for 2018 planning to be on her.

I retired in 2008 at age 48 only because my dad passed away and left some funds....Hubby retired about a 1 1/2 years ago at age 57 because of the generosity of another family member. He made 10 years of employment so he can collect a better pension at age 60.

Ronpes

with the number of cruises you have coming up and past cruises you have done what will be your special Retirement trip, we talked to our PVP and the new ship Horizon will start advertising next year to Europe for 2018 planning to be on her.

Hi,

I am already looking possible options and right now I am interested in the transpacific Seattle to Sydney on Explorer in Oct 2018. With a possible option of extending to include a trip round New Zealand. However, Asia is also tempting and there is a lot of exciting options there as well.

For me, a major part of cruising is the planning in advance, so we have plenty time and will continue to look at all possible options.

Oh,...and there is South America as well,...and of course Alaska,...etc etc,.....the list goes on!

Hi,

I am already looking possible options and right now I am interested in the transpacific Seattle to Sydney on Explorer in Oct 2018. With a possible option of extending to include a trip round New Zealand. However, Asia is also tempting and there is a lot of exciting options there as well.

For me, a major part of cruising is the planning in advance, so we have plenty time and will continue to look at all possible options.

Oh,...and there is South America as well,...and of course Alaska,...etc etc,.....the list goes on!

I agree planning is just as exciting, i will be looking more at longer cruises be it Carnival or other lines, 9 more days to Alaska i am ready for some cooler weather still uncertain as to what to pack?

I retired in 2008 at age 48 only because my dad passed away and left some funds....Hubby retired about a 1 1/2 years ago at age 57 because of the generosity of another family member. He made 10 years of employment so he can collect a better pension at age 60.

You two must really be compatible! Glad you are both enjoying life.

I haven't been on this thread for a while. I retired from teaching June, 2014, and have not looked back for a second! Just looked at my cruise list and I will be starting cruise #25 since retiring on August 18th. I guess to say I love cruising is an understatement! I plan to keep on traveling as long as I can. Katherine

I remember you because you were a teacher and I think we were on a cruise together. I still have a couple of years before I retire. In fact, I am getting ready to start a new school year. I am learning that in some states the teachers have their own retirement fund instead of social security.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just retired in August. Headed out for a 39 day cruise from the US to NZ. I have been seriously looking when to retire for the last 5 years. Running the numbers and trying to find out about Social Security, pensions, medical care and everything these has been like drinking from a fire hydrant.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by SF Ex-Pat

• 2 weeks later...
I remember you because you were a teacher and I think we were on a cruise together. I still have a couple of years before I retire. In fact, I am getting ready to start a new school year. I am learning that in some states the teachers have their own retirement fund instead of social security.

I am now in my 3rd school year of retirement. Enjoying every minute of it. Leaving on another cruise this Thursday. Looking at your cruise list I don't think we have sailed together - maybe some day!

I am aware that some folks, in some states, do not collect SS because of some union deal with the state. Don't know how that affects Medicare. My district covered my health insurance until I turned 65 and then I went on Medicare. A cruising friend worked for the federal government and is in the same boat (no pun intended) and gets a retirement income but no SS. Be interested in learning how this all works.

Enjoy your school year:). Katherine

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I are retiring on December 23, 2016, spending X-Mas at home and leaving for our next cruise on December 27, 2016. Now that is great retirement planning in my opinion. Two more planned for 2017 since we love cruising. Only 71 days to go!!! Happy Cruising! Bob and Linda