Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

Look2Sea

Thanks bdshears for the congratulations. We are practically neighbors! Linda and I are excited to be exchanging some Missouri winter weather for some Florida and Caribbean Sunshine. Do you have any cruises planned? Happy Cruising (The other Bob and Linda).

Drychi, so if we are practically neighbors, (you may have mentioned earlier, but I am so busy here at work) where are you located?

Our other friends, Bob and Linda, were here in KC for a long time, but are now in the Kimberling City, MO area. Bob is retired, and Linda has been singing/playing the piano at Silver Dollar City Wilderness church for years.

Actually I just booked (a BIG job with the cruise/transportation/insurance/flight) for next March for 8 of us on the Glory. One of my friends who is already retired living in AZ, from KC, and our 3 sons/d-I-l's. They are so excited as they have not cruised before.

Oct. 31st will be our 4 year anniversary of retirement.

I retired on Oct. 31, 2012. We sold everything, home, autos, no storage.

We left MN that day, Then left the USA on Jan. 3, 2013.

Been traveling the world ever since renting vacation homes.

Our updated itinerary for the next 669 days.

http://www.worldwidewaftage.com/2016/10/at-last-our-new-upcoming-updated-669_14.html

Tom,

Edited by tomworldwidewaftage

oct. 31st will be our 4 year anniversary of retirement.

I retired on oct. 31, 2012. We sold everything, home, autos, no storage.

We left mn that day, then left the usa on jan. 3, 2013.

http://www.worldwidewaftage.com/2016/10/at-last-our-new-upcoming-updated-669_14.html

tom,

i'm in awe :)

Oct. 31st will be our 4 year anniversary of retirement.

I retired on Oct. 31, 2012. We sold everything, home, autos, no storage.

We left MN that day, Then left the USA on Jan. 3, 2013.

Tom,

I am very impressed in how you are enjoying your life. I am sure you deserve it.

Hello Beshears. My wife and I live in Columbia, Missouri. We visit Kansas City from time to time for recreation. We both have family in North Missouri as well.

In my college days, many moons ago!, I used to live in Gladstone during the summers and worked at Worlds of Fun. Small world right. Happy Cruising! Bob and Linda

7 months and 3 weeks. Sounds better than 8 months! LOL I would love to retire with a cruise but sailing solo is so expensive. Anyone know of some cruise lines that offer deep discounts to solo travelers or do we all have to pay full fare for 2? Ivorysatin

Congratulations on your impending retirement. I believe that some cruise lines have special cabins and public spaces just for single cruisers. I would assume they might also have special rates. I cannot recall for sure where I read this, but I want to say NCL and Carnival are places to begin looking. I would also suggest you take a look at the Singles Cruises Forum on Cruise Critic for some advice. Happy Cruising! Bob and Linda

7 months and 3 weeks. Sounds better than 8 months! LOL I would love to retire with a cruise but sailing solo is so expensive. Anyone know of some cruise lines that offer deep discounts to solo travelers or do we all have to pay full fare for 2? Ivorysatin

It is double the cruise fare on Princess.

I haven't turned mine in as yet, but I told my d-I-l when she ask, probably around the first or 2nd week of February. This way, I will have plenty of time to get ready for my cruise in March, where 8 of us going. Everyone is really looking forward to this trip. Some of them have never cruised before. I did all the HARD work. Booked the cruise, transportation, insurance and flights. Thank God, I finally have it done. :)

Finally told my company that I would be retiring at the end of this year...SO excited!!

I'm 59, so I'm pulling the trigger a little early. My wife, who is 57, will continue to work for a while as she loves her job.

Can't wait to see how I fill all of my new-found free time!

Garnett

I am retiring at the end of the year and I have 28 more work days to go. Yep, can't wait! I turn 65 on Dec 31st so it will be a double celebration on that day:)

Well done to you and I bet the time drags between now and then.

Apologies if you have already posted this but,….do you have any special plans or trips lined up to celebrate this milestone event ?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after being on this site for several years, I think I am getting closer to retirement. It will either be June of 2018 or 2019. I am a teacher so that is why it will be in June. This school year my granddaughter started attending my school so she comes home with me every day which is fun.

My spouse is 62 and has declared an intention to stop working within four year, probably sooner. I'll probably work for several years after that, but we have no intention of waiting to start our "twilight years" together for all that much longer than that.

I will end up retiring before 65, but my spouse won't, and we're going to be driven mostly by healthcare costs. Without any kind of retiree healthcare arrangements coming to either of us, it's as much a factor as the total amount of wealth we accumulate and how we use it to cover our other costs of living.

And that's why 65 is such a magic number: For now, at least, the ability to have much of one's healthcare covered by Medicare makes retirement possible.

Edited by bicker