Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

Look2Sea

I have been a receptionist here for DFA for over 17 years, but I actually don't know the exact day/date that I will be retiring. As far as I know (they are building a new building in Kansas), I will be retiring before they move into the new building. They say it should be the first quarter of 2017. Of course, "weather" has a lot to do with it too, of how soon it will be built.:)

Probably around 70% of our people, don't want to move to Kansas, as we are in Missouri now.

All you folks in countdown mode, enjoy, your day will be here before you know it.

No cruises lined up since we did the Serenade Snowbird reposition from Quebec to Ft. Lauderdale last fall, probably do a Hawaii trip before booking another cruise. The Panama Canal is on my bucket list.

Still cruising and waiting for more snow today. Leaving on 2/21 for 20 days on RC, then home for 18 days before going back for another 10. I also booked a late November into December cruise which I have done for the last 2 years. Fun time on ships with all the Christmas decorations and everyone in a holiday spirit. Congratulations to all the new retirees. Katherine

Sorry that I have not been on for awhile but I have been busy. My brother-in-law has stage 4 lung cancer and my mother's dementia is getting worse. I looked once or twice and could not find this site so I thought it went bye-bye. I am still 2 or 3 years away from retiring. I want to make sure we have all are ducks in order financially before I do. My husband has been on disability for 11 years due to being ill and the results of it. I still like to teach but went to a lower grade this year. Debbie, you were right I like teaching third grade better than I did before. Also my partner is 5 years old than me (she is 69) so I am the younger teacher. Debbie, my granddaughter will be coming to my school next year so that is another reason that I want to continue to work. Hopefully, when I do, I can get one of the parttime jobs at my school or be the primary sub. Although the public schools in my area pay $200 a day for subs and the closest public school to me is a block away. Something to think about.

I finished work early, at 45 due to countless back surgeries. My husband is a year and a half younger than myself (I am 55) but he is very much looking forward to his 55 th birthday in summer of 2017. He will be at his job for 38 years ( he was hired right out of high school) with the govt. He is ready now but he will lose too much of his monthly pension if he goes early. I am looking so forward to him being around more and more time to travel! Life is too short!!

Sorry that I have not been on for awhile but I have been busy. My brother-in-law has stage 4 lung cancer and my mother's dementia is getting worse. I looked once or twice and could not find this site so I thought it went bye-bye. I am still 2 or 3 years away from retiring. I want to make sure we have all are ducks in order financially before I do. My husband has been on disability for 11 years due to being ill and the results of it. I still like to teach but went to a lower grade this year. Debbie, you were right I like teaching third grade better than I did before. Also my partner is 5 years old than me (she is 69) so I am the younger teacher. Debbie, my granddaughter will be coming to my school next year so that is another reason that I want to continue to work. Hopefully, when I do, I can get one of the parttime jobs at my school or be the primary sub. Although the public schools in my area pay $200 a day for subs and the closest public school to me is a block away. Something to think about.

Shirley...I have a friend still teaching at 71! I don't know how she does it but she is a ball of energy. She came on the last cruise with me. Praying for your family!

I have a public school across the street from my house and it would take me a A LOT to sub there!!! I have been retired 1 year now, and I would rather be a Walmart greeter and I won't even shop there now...lol:)

Read52, I'm sorry to read about your husband with the bad cancer, and your mom with Dementia. Down through the years I have heard people say, "Oh I know what your talking about." Well most of them have NO clue. My mother had Alzheimer's, so I know exactly what you are going through. May God be with you through this time.

I finished work early, at 45 due to countless back surgeries. My husband is a year and a half younger than myself (I am 55) but he is very much looking forward to his 55 th birthday in summer of 2017. He will be at his job for 38 years ( he was hired right out of high school) with the govt. He is ready now but he will lose too much of his monthly pension if he goes early. I am looking so forward to him being around more and more time to travel! Life is too short!!

I agree with your husband. If I teach until 66 and I can collect my social security and still work. That is what my partner does.

Read52, I'm sorry to read about your husband with the bad cancer, and your mom with Dementia. Down through the years I have heard people say, "Oh I know what your talking about." Well most of them have NO clue. My mother had Alzheimer's, so I know exactly what you are going through. May God be with you through this time.

Actually it is my sister's husband with the cancer and she is the one taking care of my mother. My husband had prostate cancer ten years ago but he beat that. My sister is trying to get power of attorney to deal with my mother's health issues since she is at a point where she can't make those decisions anymore. They live in another state so I am on the phone with my sister on a daily basis. Right now my sister and her husband are at Mayo Clinic in Minnesota. My sister has a friend living with them for the last 6 months who helps to take care of my mother.

Debbie, my granddaughter came to my school yesterday to take her "test"

for kindergarten. She was so excited. I gave her a school sweatshirt for a gift.

My partner is coming back next year and she said that she has not decided yet when she will retire.

Edited by read52

Well, I turned 64 on Saturday so I am getting closer to retirement. I still plan to work part time for awhile after I retire from fulltime work.

My brother-in-law got lung cancer not from smoking (although he did smoke up until about 6 years ago). He got his business from his father. They sell fireplaces and free standing stoves. They also would clean chimmeys which is how he got it.

Debbie, my granddaughter got into my school. My daughter will drop her off in the morning between 7:00 and 7:30. I am always to school by 6:30 am. Then she will come home with me at 3:30 or whenever I leave. My daughter went to my school from 3rd through 8th grade. It should be fun.

5 months until our next cruise with my son and his family. We are going out of Galveston.

Debbie, my granddaughter got into my school. My daughter will drop her off in the morning between 7:00 and 7:30. I am always to school by 6:30 am. Then she will come home with me at 3:30 or whenever I leave. My daughter went to my school from 3rd through 8th grade. It should be fun.

5 months until our next cruise with my son and his family. We are going out of Galveston.

YAY! Great news!! That will be fun for you!:)

I am down to only 2 weeks, until I can retire with full pay and health insurance. We are allowed to work up to 4 years in our post drop system, so I while it is good to know I can walk out the door whenever I wish, the 4 years of drop is to good to pass up. Just hope I am not making a mistake and some serious health issue pops up out. DW is already semi-retired, as she left her full time job to open her own business last year. She works as much as she wants, plus she has less stress and is very happy.:) Oldest son just got married and youngest son will graduate from college this May, with a job starting this month. :):):):)