Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

Look2Sea

Hi all retirees! Congrats on completing the rat race!

I have a quick (and a little nosy) question for you all. So many of you seem to have retired "early" (meaning before being old enough to qualify for Medicare). I'm contemplating retiring within a year (at 62 1/2, give or take), and my only concern is what to do about health insurance for the ensuing 3 years and still be able to afford to cruise. Surely you can't all have your health insurance being covered by your previous employers, in this day and age of relatively benefit-stingy employers?

There is no precedence here at my work, so I really have no one to ask. (we're a very young company - average age in the 30's), and only 2 other people (both over 65) have ever retired from here. I don't even know anyone outside of work who has retired early and had to pick up their own insurance.

Help!?

:confused:

I am fortunate that the employer I retried from after 29 years offers retiree coverage at nearly the same rate we were paying when employed. We then go to Medicare when we reach 65.

I have a quick (and a little nosy) question for you all. So many of you seem to have retired "early" (meaning before being old enough to qualify for Medicare). I'm contemplating retiring within a year (at 62 1/2, give or take), and my only concern is what to do about health insurance for the ensuing 3 years and still be able to afford to cruise. Surely you can't all have your health insurance being covered by your previous employers, in this day and age of relatively benefit-stingy employers?

There is no precedence here at my work, so I really have no one to ask. (we're a very young company - average age in the 30's), and only 2 other people (both over 65) have ever retired from here. I don't even know anyone outside of work who has retired early and had to pick up their own insurance.

Help!?

After 42 plus years with same employer I retired at 60. I am covered until I turn 65 only covers in hospital 80% I am responsible for the rest.

My DW already 65 picked medicare part A only. Being medicare does NOT cover/pay outside of the US. It doesn't pay for her to buy part B or the drug coverage. We have been outside of the US 24 months out of the last 32 months. If we ever return to the US and sign up for medicare part B. They will charge a 10% per year for each year she does pay for part B from age 65 on. (you may have to pay a late enrollment penalty)

So if it's 10 years it will be 200% of what ever the monthly payment is now it's almost $105.00 a month so 200% would be 210.00 a month.

When I turn 65 I will do the same as my DW.

We also purchased a international policy for both of us that pays out side of the US for major medical, emergency evacuation, etc.

We travel and rent vacation homes from 6 weeks to 4 months at a time depending on what the visa are for each country we visit.

Tom

http://www.worldwidewaftage.com

Help!?

Health insurance is one of the reasons that I am still working. My husband and I are both 63 but my husband has been disabled for 10 years. My husband got shingles for the third time on his face and then it went to his brain (viral encephalitis). He has a seizure problem because of it. A year after the encephalitis, he had Prostate cancer. Without insurance, we would have been in the poor house. Please make sure you get your shingles vaccine and men get your PSA checked.

Lady Hudson, that is great news about your grandchild, but as was said, the parents need to be careful with his ins/out of other childen at this age.

I have some grandchildren that are sort of gifted too. They put them in a higher grade class for the areas they are gifted in, but still leave them in the regular grade class, along with children of their age.

How are you doing 2 transaltlantics? I want to know in case I plan one. Does that mean you don't fly over the Atlantic??? My next one is the 10 day partial Panama Canal cruise. Isn't it nice being retired!! I'm not tired any more!!!:)

Deb

I am leaving on July 30th(5 day), stay on the ship then for a 7 day crossing to Southampton, spend the day in Southampton and then take the 8 day crossing back to NY. I will be sailing on the Queen Mary 2.

Lady Hudson, that is great news about your grandchild, but as was said, the parents need to be careful with his ins/out of other childen at this age.

I have some grandchildren that are sort of gifted too. They put them in a higher grade class for the areas they are gifted in, but still leave them in the regular grade class, along with children of their age.

Ok, I know there is a mix-up. My only grandson is 24! :)

Ok, I know there is a mix-up. My only grandson is 24! :)

I think they meant to put Read52.(another teacher...lol) That cruise sounds fantastic!!! And no flying... grand idea!!:)

Deb

Edited by zlacruising

It is my grandson as Debbie said. Being a teacher myself I did mention all the problems that can come with skipping. It was the school that suggested and tested him. He will be going to a new school next year because they just built a new one in their subdivision. He also has a fall birthday. So my son and his ex-wife decided that if they were going to change him now was the time. Last week he read the first Harry Potter book in 3 days. He just loves to read and he understands what he reads. In math, he spent most of first grade on a computer completing a math program because his math skills were so high above the rest of the class.

It is my grandson as Debbie said. Being a teacher myself I did mention all the problems that can come with skipping. It was the school that suggested and tested him. He will be going to a new school next year because they just built a new one in their subdivision. He also has a fall birthday. So my son and his ex-wife decided that if they were going to change him now was the time. Last week he read the first Harry Potter book in 3 days. He just loves to read and he understands what he reads. In math, he spent most of first grade on a computer completing a math program because his math skills were so high above the rest of the class.

What grade did he just complete?

Deb

Lady Hudson, well I am going to be one that will be not retiring early. I am 72 and love my job, but DFA is moving to Kansas, so I will probably retire sometime next year, or when they move.

As for having insurance, yes I do have Medicare now. My main insurance comes through my company, but I do have insurance through my husband who retired at an early age, because of diabetes. I know if I want to keep my insurance through my company, I will have to PAY for it. With my husbands, I believe it is just a "retirement" benefit. My husbands insurance is the 3rd insurance for us. Mine is first, Medicare is 2nd and BCBS is 3rd, and generally they don't pick up, and we wind up paying the rest, which isn't much. My husbands insurance pays for prescriptions, which really helps a lot.

I am retiring nov 1 at age 63. Insurance will be expensive for me for 2 years till Medicare but we have built the costs in. I am going on cobra and dh who is 65 will go on Medicare. I will have a 6 month gap after cobra where I will go on my school pension ins but then on Medicare at 65. It is worth it to me in spite of the costs. Work has zapped my energy for some time since I have had to deal with various medical problems.

I am retiring nov 1 at age 63. Insurance will be expensive for me for 2 years till Medicare but we have built the costs in. I am going on cobra and dh who is 65 will go on Medicare. I will have a 6 month gap after cobra where I will go on my school pension ins but then on Medicare at 65. It is worth it to me in spite of the costs. Work has zapped my energy for some time since I have had to deal with various medical problems.

Happy to hear you will be retiring soon. I've been retired 6 months and it is wonderful! If it makes you feel better, I was a teacher and unbelievably tired. Sometimes I would go straight to bed when I got home, then wake up early to finish any school work I needed that day.I thought something was wrong with me but I was just going to wait for retirement to check it out. One month after retirement, I had all my energy back!! I think it was stress and Common Core kicking my butt!!! November will be here before you know it!!!:)

Deb

Happy to hear you will be retiring soon. I've been retired 6 months and it is wonderful! If it makes you feel better, I was a teacher and unbelievably tired. Sometimes I would go straight to bed when I got home, then wake up early to finish any school work I needed that day.I thought something was wrong with me but I was just going to wait for retirement to check it out. One month after retirement, I had all my energy back!! I think it was stress and Common Core kicking my butt!!! November will be here before you know it!!!:)

Deb

Hey Debbie,

I just finished an online course about technology so that I can renew my state certification which is good for 5 years. I think this is the last class I will take. This class was only $30 and I did learn quite a bit. Now I just have to gear myself down for 8 years instead of 10 year olds.

Hey Debbie,

I just finished an online course about technology so that I can renew my state certification which is good for 5 years. I think this is the last class I will take. This class was only $30 and I did learn quite a bit. Now I just have to gear myself down for 8 years instead of 10 year olds.

You will do great! You already know what they need for fifth grade so you will just push them in that direction. And at that age they are really sweet! Let me know how it goes !

Deb

You will do great! You already know what they need for fifth grade so you will just push them in that direction. And at that age they are really sweet! Let me know how it goes !

Deb

I did teach 3rd grade for two years but that was a while ago (my 4th year of teaching and 18 years ago) so I know that I can do it for a couple of years. I love teaching but there has been a lot of change in my school in the last couple of years. There is only one other teacher now that has been there as long as I have (27 years), three teachers that have been there for about 15 years, 3 teachers that have 8 years. The rest of the faculty has been there 5 or less years with 5 new teachers.

Also we booked a cruise with my son's family out of Galveston for next July on the Liberty. My daughter-in-law's parents are coming too. My daughter is trying to figure out if they can afford it (they have two kids). It is awhile to wait but other things got in the way of cruising. We will be going out to Texas in a couple of weeks to visit this son and see the new baby.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Debbie Was that movie theater shooting near you?

Yes..a city 20 miles away. A friend of a teacher was there. She was shot but not bad. She had the sense to pull the fire alarm which saved a lot of people. He did have a plan to leave the theater but he was blocked from his excit he had parked his car by so he shot himself....really just sad.

Deb

I heard that teachers were there and that they were the ones who pulled the alarm. And all I could think of was you and my friend that moved down to Lafayette about two years ago used to work with me. Glad you're OK. And I'm glad fast thinking teacher pulled the alarm.

I heard that teachers were there and that they were the ones who pulled the alarm. And all I could think of was you and my friend that moved down to Lafayette about two years ago used to work with me. Glad you're OK. And I'm glad fast thinking teacher pulled the alarm.

Well the fast thinking teacher was probably trained for lockdowns at school. They take that very seriously in schools here in this area. It becomes automatic. It is always in the back of your mind what to do in different scenarios. We have drills on it throughout the school year. But the guy had a case of mental illness for awhile. They need to bring the nuthouses back.

Deb

I've decided to retire December 31, 2016. At that point it will be 37 years of working, Have told my boss already. As with most companies mine is in the process of losing lots of key people that they are replacing with folks overseas. Good luck to you!

I am giving myself a present for retiring, In January 2018 my wife and I are flying to South Africa doing a 10 day safari then boarding a eastbound Crystal ship for a 110 day cruise from South Africa to Miami. Cant wait!