Snorkeling: st john versus sapphire beach??

Going on the glory to eastern Caribbean in a few weeks. I've been to Magen's beach. Would like to try something new. Advice for snorkeling between St. John or sapphire beach? I've also heard Coki is good. Also, carnival specific shore excursions for these snorkeling spots. Advice? Anything helps!

We have taken a cab to Saphire on our own a couple of years ago. I was pretty underwhelmed by it. The beach itself was OK, but the bathrooms did not have running water and was completely gross. The restaurant did not have any water either so we did not eat there. This was an issue that was obviously long standing and not just a fluke. I know that Carnival does offer an excursion to Saphire now, but it gets awful reviews.

We have also done the Carnival excursion to Trunk Bay Beach on St. John. I thought it was a beautiful beach and the snorkeling was fantastic. It is a trek to get there and you don't have tons of time on the beach, but we enjoyed it very much.

Between the two, I would definitely choose St. John over Saphire. HTH:)

Going on the glory to eastern Caribbean in a few weeks. I've been to Magen's beach. Would like to try something new. Advice for snorkeling between St. John or sapphire beach? I've also heard Coki is good. Also, carnival specific shore excursions for these snorkeling spots. Advice? Anything helps!

Having been to both Sapphire and Trunk Bay, TB is definitely the better of the two for snorkeling.. There are underwater snorkeling marked trails. I was able to stand in water chest deep and saw a lot of beautiful sea life right in front of me.

We have also done the Carnival excursion to Trunk Bay Beach on St. John. I thought it was a beautiful beach and the snorkeling was fantastic. It is a trek to get there and you don't have tons of time on the beach, but we enjoyed it very much.

It was so easy to get to Trunk Bay on our own. Not only did we pay half the amount that the Carnival excursion cost, we were literally on the beach for nearly five hours, compared to two hours that the Carnival people had.

The directions include a 15 minute walk, a taxi, a ferry, and another taxi. Well worth the savings and part of the adventure.

If anyone would like the specifics, I'm happy to oblige.

Having been to both Sapphire and Trunk Bay, TB is definitely the better of the two for snorkeling.. There are underwater snorkeling marked trails. I was able to stand in water chest deep and saw a lot of beautiful sea life right in front of me.

It was so easy to get to Trunk Bay on our own. Not only did we pay half the amount that the Carnival excursion cost, we were literally on the beach for nearly five hours, compared to two hours that the Carnival people had.

The directions include a 15 minute walk, a taxi, a ferry, and another taxi. Well worth the savings and part of the adventure.

We'll be at St-Thomas twice in 3 weeks (B2B on Summit) and I plan to go to Sapphire for snorkeling but after reading this post (and others...), i might change my mind and go to TB....

Is it possible to explain how to get to TB and how will it cost ?

Thanks

We'll be at St-Thomas twice in 3 weeks (B2B on Summit) and I plan to go to Sapphire for snorkeling but after reading this post (and others...), i might change my mind and go to TB....

Thanks

When we got off the ship, we walked outside the gate area. Taxis there were $10.00 pp and we were being cheap.

We walked to the left towards the KMart, about 15 minutes. On the left side, right before getting to the KMArt plaza, there was a small diagonal street. No markings, no bus stop, nothing. But a nice lady was there and we asked her where to catch the bus to Red Hook. She told us right there. Seconds later, along came an open-air bus/taxi. We asked the driver to make sure he was going to Red Hook. He was. $2.00 pp later and we were on our way.

15 minutes or so and we arrived at Red Hook. Tickets to St. John cost $14 pp round trip, CASH only. The ferry left every hour on the hour, exactly. A couple came at 10:01 and, though the ferry was still docked and the gangway still down, were not allowed to board.

20 minutes or so and we arrived at Cruz Bay. We asked for a taxi to Trunk Bay and were directed right to one. $6.00 pp and we were on our way.

A few minutes or so and we arrived at Trunk Bay. We were there last October when the US Govt was shut down so there was no admittance fee. Usually the cost is $4.00 pp.

Trunk Bay was stunning. There was a lot of shade from trees avaiable as well as a lot of sunny sand. Though the govt was closed (2/3 of St. John is a national park) lifeguards were there, working for free because they were concerned about swimmers (the water was calm as can be!) and the washroom attendant was also there, also working for free, to keep the washrooms spotless. Though there was food and drink, and lounge chairs, none were available either due to the closing.

Five hours or so and we were ready to head back. We just reversed everything but after the taxi dropped us off at Cruz Bay we walked around some quaint shops. I bought some delicious spices at The Spice Shop right at the pier. Soon we were on the ferry and back at the ship about two hours before last embarkation time.

(About two hours into our sunbathing and water frolicking, the Carnival people were called to return to the street. We were shocked at the short amount of time they got to spend there, especially for the price paid.)

Total cost going on our own: $30.00 pp (add $4.00 pp now)

Total cost going with Carnival: $69.95 pp

Part of our adventures included running into people from the ship who were on their way to KMart because the woman forgot all her bras at home :o, sharing a bus seat on the way back to the ship with an odoriferous (think marijuana) local man :D as well as many high school kids. It was pretty cool to see that the kids on St. Thomas were no different than those on mainland US. Some texted on their phones, some worked on homework, some listened to mp3 music, some talked and laughed in groups, some yelled out to friends who were walking.

If/when we go back to St. Thomas, we are going back to St. John, using our adventurous method again.

Hope this helps. Have a great time.

We just returned last week and did a trip with Captain John of Fury Tours. It is a non ship excursion. They take you to Buck island to snorkel and the big attraction is the turtles. We saw many. Loads of beautiful fish also. It was a great trip. There were only 10 of us on the excursion with 5 ships in port. He timed it is when the ships excursion came in with over 200 people, we were leaving. Just Google Fury Charters St Thomas.

Edited by janetz

We have taken a cab to Saphire on our own a couple of years ago. I was pretty underwhelmed by it. The beach itself was OK, but the bathrooms did not have running water and was completely gross. The restaurant did not have any water either so we did not eat there. This was an issue that was obviously long standing and not just a fluke. I know that Carnival does offer an excursion to Saphire now, but it gets awful reviews.

Sapphire is a gorgeous beach in our opinion, we rent there when we visit STT. The public restrooms aren't that bad, at one time the beach was overrun with cruisers and the restrooms were getting trashed. The resort restaurant has been closed for awhile but you can get food and drinks from the Banana Cabana, a beach shack with a great mahi mahi sandwich, the Sapphire Village restaurant up the hill, or the Off The Grid food truck.

And beautiful island views and great snorkeling make Sapphire a great spot to spend the day!

Trunk is a beautiful beach, but like Magens is overrated in our opinion and draws huge crowds. Cinnamon may be more enjoyable for someone going to STJ for the beach and snorkeling.

Thanks

Most people who visit Sapphire consider it one of the nicest beaches with some of the best snorkeling they've found and return there each visit. I don't agree with the post you're referring to as it's a bit outdated and doesn't tell the whole story but I am also biased because we love staying there. The beaches of STJ are also nice.

As noted from Havensight (WICO) it's a 20 min, $10pp ride to the Red Hook ferry which is very close to Sapphire (Longer from Crown Bay of course). The ferry departs on the hour and is 20 min, $7pp each way. $6 taxis are lined up at Cruz Bay to take the masses to Trunk so you may want to go to Cinnamon instead, or even a more remote beach if you have your own snorkel gear, just a thought. Take a return ferry at least 2 hrs before your back on board time and you'll be fine. So about $46pp + tip roundtrip per person. it also adds another 1.5 - 2 hrs of travel time than the East End beaches of STT. If you have 10 hrs in port that's not bad.

Enjoy!;)

Edited by blue_water

I feel compelled to add a little admonition to Stargate Fan’s response and I hope no one will take offense. It all sounds so easy and it is IF things go right. I had to laugh a little when I read the posting because I could have written it myself 10 years ago.

For the last several years I have been living in St Thomas and I have observed things from a slightly different perspective. Don’t get me wrong I am exceeding glad things went well for Stargate and he/she had an adventure that they obviously enjoyed. It’s just that others should be aware that what is an “adventure” for some can be deemed a “misadventure” by others.

One of the common miscalculations visitors make is to underestimate travel times and thereby cause themselves a lot of stress. This is especially true if one chooses traveling via the $2.00 “local” safari. Traveling here bears little resemblance to traveling in the states. At various times I have been on a “local” safari when its radiator overheated and another time when one had a flat tire; once a driver even stopped for 20 minutes to get his lunch before we continued on our way. The most unusual situation occurred when a driver pulled over in route and ordered everyone off as he had a headache and was going home. (We eventually got to our destinations via another safari.)

I am not posting this to scare or discourage anyone (and by the way I have NO interest in either the “taxi” or the “$2.00 Safari” business). I just want to make visitors aware that yes, you save some money but if you are a stressed or nervous traveler or have limited time, traveling this way may not be your best option. :)

When we got off the ship, we walked outside the gate area. Taxis there were $10.00 pp and we were being cheap.

We walked to the left towards the KMart, about 15 minutes. On the left side, right before getting to the KMArt plaza, there was a small diagonal street. No markings, no bus stop, nothing. But a nice lady was there and we asked her where to catch the bus to Red Hook. She told us right there. Seconds later, along came an open-air bus/taxi. We asked the driver to make sure he was going to Red Hook. He was. $2.00 pp later and we were on our way.

15 minutes or so and we arrived at Red Hook. Tickets to St. John cost $14 pp round trip, CASH only. The ferry left every hour on the hour, exactly. A couple came at 10:01 and, though the ferry was still docked and the gangway still down, were not allowed to board.

20 minutes or so and we arrived at Cruz Bay. We asked for a taxi to Trunk Bay and were directed right to one. $6.00 pp and we were on our way.

A few minutes or so and we arrived at Trunk Bay. We were there last October when the US Govt was shut down so there was no admittance fee. Usually the cost is $4.00 pp.

Trunk Bay was stunning. There was a lot of shade from trees avaiable as well as a lot of sunny sand. Though the govt was closed (2/3 of St. John is a national park) lifeguards were there, working for free because they were concerned about swimmers (the water was calm as can be!) and the washroom attendant was also there, also working for free, to keep the washrooms spotless. Though there was food and drink, and lounge chairs, none were available either due to the closing.

Five hours or so and we were ready to head back. We just reversed everything but after the taxi dropped us off at Cruz Bay we walked around some quaint shops. I bought some delicious spices at The Spice Shop right at the pier. Soon we were on the ferry and back at the ship about two hours before last embarkation time.

(About two hours into our sunbathing and water frolicking, the Carnival people were called to return to the street. We were shocked at the short amount of time they got to spend there, especially for the price paid.)

Total cost going on our own: $30.00 pp (add $4.00 pp now)

Total cost going with Carnival: $69.95 pp

Part of our adventures included running into people from the ship who were on their way to KMart because the woman forgot all her bras at home :o, sharing a bus seat on the way back to the ship with an odoriferous (think marijuana) local man :D as well as many high school kids. It was pretty cool to see that the kids on St. Thomas were no different than those on mainland US. Some texted on their phones, some worked on homework, some listened to mp3 music, some talked and laughed in groups, some yelled out to friends who were walking.

If/when we go back to St. Thomas, we are going back to St. John, using our adventurous method again.

Hope this helps. Have a great time.

Thank you very much.....

Not sure we will go but I know how to get there....

We went 2 times to Sapphire and really love the place.... I have to decide...

Tough decision.... :)

Most people who visit Sapphire consider it one of the nicest beaches with some of the best snorkeling they've found and return there each visit. I don't agree with the post you're referring to as it's a bit outdated and doesn't tell the whole story but I am also biased because we love staying there. The beaches of STJ are also nice.

As noted from Havensight (WICO) it's a 20 min, $10pp ride to the Red Hook ferry which is very close to Sapphire (Longer from Crown Bay of course). The ferry departs on the hour and is 20 min, $7pp each way. $6 taxis are lined up at Cruz Bay to take the masses to Trunk so you may want to go to Cinnamon instead, or even a more remote beach if you have your own snorkel gear, just a thought. Take a return ferry at least 2 hrs before your back on board time and you'll be fine. So about $46pp + tip roundtrip per person. it also adds another 1.5 - 2 hrs of travel time than the East End beaches of STT. If you have 10 hrs in port that's not bad.

Enjoy!;)

Thank you Blue_water

Like I said, We already went to Sapphire twice last year and we felt in love with the place... I was certainly one of the beach we saw....

On our next cruise, we'll be at St-Thomas the 12 and 19 of december and we want to go to Sapphire and maybe another place... That's why we were thinking about TB....

We have our own snorkel gear...

Which beach you would recommend ???

Thank you again for your participation on CC

I feel compelled to add a little admonition to Stargate Fan’s response and I hope no one will take offense. It all sounds so easy and it is IF things go right. I had to laugh a little when I read the posting because I could have written it myself 10 years ago.

For the last several years I have been living in St Thomas and I have observed things from a slightly different perspective. Don’t get me wrong I am exceeding glad things went well for Stargate and he/she had an adventure that they obviously enjoyed. It’s just that others should be aware that what is an “adventure” for some can be deemed a “misadventure” by others.

One of the common miscalculations visitors make is to underestimate travel times and thereby cause themselves a lot of stress. This is especially true if one chooses traveling via the $2.00 “local” safari. Traveling here bears little resemblance to traveling in the states. At various times I have been on a “local” safari when its radiator overheated and another time when one had a flat tire; once a driver even stopped for 20 minutes to get his lunch before we continued on our way. The most unusual situation occurred when a driver pulled over in route and ordered everyone off as he had a headache and was going home. (We eventually got to our destinations via another safari.)

I am not posting this to scare or discourage anyone (and by the way I have NO interest in either the “taxi” or the “$2.00 Safari” business). I just want to make visitors aware that yes, you save some money but if you are a stressed or nervous traveler or have limited time, traveling this way may not be your best option. :)

Great comments Livethelife. Many who take that option with no delays or other events make it sound more like a normal bus folks are accustomed to seeing in other destinations. We've also seen couples within for the $2 bus at Sapphire when going to Red Hook for groceries and still waiting in the sweltering heat when we returned.

Sometimes a great choice and nice experience, other times precious time is wasted.

Thank you Blue_water

Like I said, We already went to Sapphire twice last year and we felt in love with the place... I was certainly one of the beach we saw....

On our next cruise, we'll be at St-Thomas the 12 and 19 of december and we want to go to Sapphire and maybe another place... That's why we were thinking about TB....

We have our own snorkel gear...

Which beach you would recommend ???

Thank you again for your participation on CC

I rely on friends and others who have more experience with off the beach snorkeling on STJ For expert advice. We've not been to Watermelon but that is considered a favorite of friends. They also enjoyed a day at Francis and Maho with rays and a turtle. Augie is a good source for this topic and may offer advice

Since you have your own snorkel gear the island is "your oyster"! You have the luxury of packing a lunch in Cruz and enjoying your day at a less crowded beach offering few amenities but great snorkeling.

Thank you for this information.... I'm a stress traveler and my wife is a nervous one:)..... Nice combination.....

Not sure where we are going to go but I know where we are not going to go....

Thanks again

I rely on friends and others who have more experience with off the beach snorkeling on STJ For expert advice. We've not been to Watermelon but that is considered a favorite of friends. They also enjoyed a day at Francis and Maho with rays and a turtle. Augie is a good source for this topic and may offer advice

Since you have your own snorkel gear the island is "your oyster"! You have the luxury of packing a lunch in Cruz and enjoying your day at a less crowded beach offering few amenities but great snorkeling.

Thanks again... I will look for a nice and calm place......

Forgot to add that a day sail gives you the opportunity to snorkel among the days off STJ which can be an excellent day. We enjoyed the New Horizon sloop, but that was recently involved in an accident, and can also carry several people when operational. If interested look at Yacht Nightwind and High Pockets. YN is very popular and sails out of Sapphire.

No offense taken here. I'm a "she", by the way. :D

My husband and I are not nervous traveler types. But we do always leave plenty of time, two to three hours minimum, to return to our ships in case mishaps happen.

You do make very good points. I forget that others might not feel comfortable taking "adventures" like we do. We have friends who only take cruise line excursions, even to beaches that are 10 minutes from the port.

Might I add that I am jealous that you live on St. Thomas. I'm so tired of these cold New England winters.

Might I add that I am jealous that you live on St. Thomas. I'm so tired of these cold New England winters.

So were we! Haven't had to shovel snow in several years! LOL

Casanova02 - I just want to make sure you and others understand that I am not discouraging anyone from going to any of the many St Thomas destinations or St John beaches. I am only encouraging visitors to think carefully about their choice of transportation.

There is a lot of confusion between the safari “taxi” vehicles that pick cruise ship passengers up right at the pier and the local safari “$2.00” vehicles that follow a circuitous route on the main roads around the island. (Search this forum and you will find lots of threads discussing both.) While the safari “taxi” vehicles at the port are a more expensive method of travel they provide a quicker, more direct route and a reliable way to travel back and forth to specific destinations. Hope this helps! :)

So were we! Haven't had to shovel snow in several years! LOL

Casanova02 - I just want to make sure you and others understand that I am not discouraging anyone from going to any of the many St Thomas destinations or St John beaches. I am only encouraging visitors to think carefully about their choice of transportation.

There is a lot of confusion between the safari “taxi” vehicles that pick cruise ship passengers up right at the pier and the local safari “$2.00” vehicles that follow a circuitous route on the main roads around the island. (Search this forum and you will find lots of threads discussing both.) While the safari “taxi” vehicles at the port are a more expensive method of travel they provide a quicker, more direct route and a reliable way to travel back and forth to specific destinations. Hope this helps! :)

Don't worry... You didn't discourage me..... well maybe a bit... :)

When I on vacation, i want to take it relax... no worries and enjoy sun , water and maybe a drink or 2....

I know myself and if, at the beach, I worry about leaving at the good time to be "sure" not to miss boat, bus or cab... i will enjoy but not at 100%

On a cruise, it's not like leaving on a island for a week....

I don't want to rush myself.....

Some people have no problem with "adventure" some don't... I really think I'm in the second category.... In other word... I'm chicken.... a French chicken :o

Edited by Casanova02

Sapphire is a gorgeous beach in our opinion, we rent there when we visit STT. The public restrooms aren't that bad, at one time the beach was overrun with cruisers and the restrooms were getting trashed. The resort restaurant has been closed for awhile but you can get food and drinks from the Banana Cabana, a beach shack with a great mahi mahi sandwich, the Sapphire Village restaurant up the hill, or the Off The Grid food truck.

And beautiful island views and great snorkeling make Sapphire a great spot to spend the day!

Trunk is a beautiful beach, but like Magens is overrated in our opinion and draws huge crowds. I agree Cinnamon may be more enjoyable for someone going to STJ for the beach and snorkeling.Again, I agree

With the exception of the underwater trail, we like Sapphire better than Trunk. Yes, Trunk has a snorkel trail, but there is also A LOT of people following that trail and the time you spend getting to/from STJ is a waste of valuable time. It would not be worth it, IMO.

The $2 transportation can sometimes put you in close contact with people smoking weed, playing loud music, or using profanity. If you're in a group of more than 4 you may have to wait for a vehicle with ample room. They are packed with school kids in the morning and after 3 pm.

The $2 transportation can sometimes put you in close contact with people smoking weed, playing loud music, or using profanity. If you're in a group of more than 4 you may have to wait for a vehicle with ample room. They are packed with school kids in the morning and after 3 pm.

MS411's description of travel by the the "$2.00" safari is absolutely accurate. It does make me consider how much I have adapted living here. I don't even think anymore that the conditions described might be potential obstacles for individuals not used to traveling this way.

I would love the specifics please....La