hiring a driver for the day

tyson

We were in Cozumel on 11/6 and had a tour booked through Mike with Lazaro however when we arrived Cantaro was waiting and said that Lazaro had something come up. I was really anxious about this, because I didn't receive a call or an email from Mike, but we went with him, Contaro was a great driver, and thankfully while were at lunch at Playa Bonita (excellent by the way) Gerry came over to our table (recognized him from previous pictures posted on this forum) and asked how things were going. He apologized that Lazro was unable to make it. I was able to relax the rest of the day, since I wasn't worried we were being scammed or misled.

Cantaro was a great replacement, and took us everywhere we wanted to go (Punta Sur, El Mirador, Playa Bonita, Tequila tasting, a little shopping). Not sure if Lazaro is back in the swing of things now, but wanted to share my experience.

By the way, for anyone that has climbed to the top of the lighthouse at Punta Sur and not mentioned the 3x3 "door" you have to crawl through to get out to view, Thanks! :cool: When I heard "you've got to be kidding" from those in front of me, I knew it was going to be fun. :D

By the way, for anyone that has climbed to the top of the lighthouse at Punta Sur and not mentioned the 3x3 "door" you have to crawl through to get out to view, Thanks! :cool: When I heard "you've got to be kidding" from those in front of me, I knew it was going to be fun. :D

LOL! Yep, but it was worth it, wasn't it? :D

Booked a tour with Gerry on 11/11. Gerry was waiting for us at the cab stand just as my email from Mike indicated he would be. First he asked what all we wanted to do, gave him our suggestions and we were off to see the north side of the island and a stop at the grocery for drinks. After stopping at several monuments we headed out to San Gervasio ruins. Paid our entry fee and started out on our own. All the ruins had sign designations in English. The ruin site was small but very worthwhile to see. Really enjoyed our walk through the ruins. Then we were off to the Tequila Factory. A wonderful margarita was included in the price of admission. Bought some tequila for gifts and home consumption. We then headed to the east side of the island. The best stop of all was at the "Pee Pee Stop". Yes that's what it is. Very clean restrooms and some very beautiful black coral jewelry. Again Gerry stopped anywhere along the way where we wanted to take photos. Had lunch at Playa Bonita. A delicious meal. We then headed back to the ship. It was a great 5+ hours and Gerry is so informative. Also he has a beautiful voice and played some great music. One thing he did ask me to do was let everyone know that Cozumel is very safe and for tourists not to be afraid on the island. That they do not have the same problems as other areas of Mexico. My DH and I agree with him. It is a beautiful island with beautiful and friendly people. Would highly recommend this tour to anyone interested in something different.

Booked a tour with Gerry on 11/11. Gerry was waiting for us at the cab stand just as my email from Mike indicated he would be. First he asked what all we wanted to do, gave him our suggestions and we were off to see the north side of the island and a stop at the grocery for drinks. After stopping at several monuments we headed out to San Gervasio ruins. Paid our entry fee and started out on our own. All the ruins had sign designations in English. The ruin site was small but very worthwhile to see. Really enjoyed our walk through the ruins. Then we were off to the Tequila Factory. A wonderful margarita was included in the price of admission. Bought some tequila for gifts and home consumption. We then headed to the east side of the island. The best stop of all was at the "Pee Pee Stop". Yes that's what it is. Very clean restrooms and some very beautiful black coral jewelry. Again Gerry stopped anywhere along the way where we wanted to take photos. Had lunch at Playa Bonita. A delicious meal. We then headed back to the ship. It was a great 5+ hours and Gerry is so informative. Also he has a beautiful voice and played some great music. One thing he did ask me to do was let everyone know that Cozumel is very safe and for tourists not to be afraid on the island. That they do not have the same problems as other areas of Mexico. My DH and I agree with him. It is a beautiful island with beautiful and friendly people. Would highly recommend this tour to anyone interested in something different.

Thanks for the review. We have Gerry booked for January and I am looking for "different" things to do that would be of more interest to my 70 year old in-laws that will be with us.

"different" as in different from what hubby and I would normally do...which is just bar hop !!! LOL

Edited by LHP

Thanks for the review. We have Gerry booked for January and I am looking for "different" things to do that would be of more interest to my 70 year old in-laws that will be with us.

"different" as in different from what hubby and I would normally do...which is just bar hop !!! LOL

You'll have a great time with him. And I'm sure he'll be able to help you find "different" things to do.

We were in Cozumel on 11/6 and had a tour booked through Mike with Lazaro however when we arrived Cantaro was waiting and said that Lazaro had something come up. I was really anxious about this, because I didn't receive a call or an email from Mike, but we went with him, Contaro was a great driver, and thankfully while were at lunch at Playa Bonita (excellent by the way) Gerry came over to our table (recognized him from previous pictures posted on this forum) and asked how things were going. He apologized that Lazro was unable to make it. I was able to relax the rest of the day, since I wasn't worried we were being scammed or misled.

Cantaro was a great replacement, and took us everywhere we wanted to go (Punta Sur, El Mirador, Playa Bonita, Tequila tasting, a little shopping). Not sure if Lazaro is back in the swing of things now, but wanted to share my experience.

Hi there, glad to see that you had a good time with Cantaro. This is the driver that Mike says that is available when I get to Coz on the 7th Dec.... can you give anymore detail on your trip... and did you get to see everything in 3 hrs?

Anybody else who has anymore info would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Odette

We did have a good time with Cantaro, and if we do something similar again in Cozumel, I would use him without a doubt. That being said, he did seem to need a little more direction than what I think Gerry or Lazaro seemed to need from previous posters. Thankfully I knew pretty much were we wanted to go, and in what order. Also, he didn't seem to have a cooler available, so you might ask Mike about that if you are planning on filling one up.

We did everything in about 4 hours. If you cut out the lunch at Playa Bonita, you could easily do it in 3. Although if you have the time, I really loved the lunch. I posted a review with pictures of our food on Trip Advisor. We also wandered around the Tequila tasting area for longer than necessary for most people.

I hope you have a great time no matter what you decide to do, and please let me know if you have any other questions.

• 2 weeks later...
We did have a good time with Cantaro, and if we do something similar again in Cozumel, I would use him without a doubt. That being said, he did seem to need a little more direction than what I think Gerry or Lazaro seemed to need from previous posters. Thankfully I knew pretty much were we wanted to go, and in what order. Also, he didn't seem to have a cooler available, so you might ask Mike about that if you are planning on filling one up.

We did everything in about 4 hours. If you cut out the lunch at Playa Bonita, you could easily do it in 3. Although if you have the time, I really loved the lunch. I posted a review with pictures of our food on Trip Advisor. We also wandered around the Tequila tasting area for longer than necessary for most people.

I hope you have a great time no matter what you decide to do, and please let me know if you have any other questions.

Looks like Gerry and a couple of others are booking up quickly...thanks for a review on Cantaro.

Keep the reviews coming folks....especially if you used someone other than Gerry..so that folks can know that the other drivers are good also....

Can't wait for your trip next month!!

• 2 weeks later...
Hello everyone; there is a lot of good advice here abou getting a personal tour of Cozumel. It's my first time this month going and I am very excited! My husband & I are not big snorklers, but we'd love to just tour the island. I emailed Mike and he said Gerry is not available; but that Gil is. Has anyone ever done a tour with him? Thanks!

I guess no one on the boards has toured with Gil yet.

Since we have not either...I can only go on the assumption that he will be good based on the fact that ALL the other drivers Mike handles are great.

If you use Gil...come back and give us a review....

we used Lazaro on Monday.

I knew exactly what I wanted our group to see.. went over it with him and made a few variations after his input (he was spot on, on his recommendations)

He took great care of my 83 year old mother, answering her questions and explaining the differant areas of the island. Lunch at chen rios.. something about eating seafood a few feet from the sea just makes it taste better. My Mom said it was the best guacamole she had ever ate.

Spent 4 hours and worth every dollar!

Rick

Gerry did not show up for us last week and we waited about 35 mins or so. I emailed Mike once we got back from the cruise and haven't heard anything. I'm not sure if something is wrong with Gerry, or if he's sick.

I have known Gerry for years and that certainly isn't normal for him...I hope he is ok. Please let us know if you hear anything....thanks...

We have him booked for Jan 4th....

We spent the day with Gerry on Monday, 12/27. He met us as scheduled with the van (apparently the car was being used for local trips as there were 6 ships, including Oasis of the Seas in port). We had a very specific plan in mind and he took us to all the places we wanted to go.

This was the second time we've toured with Gerry and it was a great as the first!

We made our reservation for $95 for 3 hours for the both of us in Gerry's car. Each extra hour is $25 dollars. Tonight we setup our plan. Communication with Mike and Gerry has been very quick and thorough.

Zonabelle-

Hey I have been running through posts about the great driver's people are

arranging in Cozumel, and I wasn't able to find any contact information. Would

you advise the company name, eml and/or phone #? I am going at the end of

the month with my sister who just had knee surgery last month and driver

seems best. Thanks in advance....you can email it to me if not inconvenient.

tantakatie@yahoo.com :)

Has anyone tried to get a hold of Mike lately? I emailed him 4 days ago and then this morning, but still haven't heard back. I had emailed him months ago about our upcoming cruise in April and he responded immediately, but not having any luck now that I'm wanting to reserve a Gerry or another driver :(

Has anyone tried to get a hold of Mike lately? I emailed him 4 days ago and then this morning, but still haven't heard back. I had emailed him months ago about our upcoming cruise in April and he responded immediately, but not having any luck now that I'm wanting to reserve a Gerry or another driver :(

Hey Shanna/Brian:

I emailed over the last weekend and resent it yesterday and got an answer this morning! His email was time stamped 1:43 am and the are only 1 hr behind us here

in FLA. I copied his email as it seems like a standard one he sends for all inquiries....

Hola Katie,

My name is Mike, a friend of Gerry's. I am answering because while his spoken English is very good, for him writing in English is still tricky.

Gerry has a station wagon which seats 4 average-sized adult passengers, and comes equipped with ice cold A/C, stereo system (bring your tunes!) and a cooler if you choose to buy beverages and ice during your tour. A tour costs $95USD for the 1st 3 hours and $25USD per each additional hour.

He can also provide a van with the same amenities, which holds up to 8 passengers. A van tour will run $195USD for the first 3 hours and $40USD per each additional hour. Gerry regrets the increased charge, but since he does not have a van of his own, he must rent one.

Charges are per vehicle, not per person. There is a 3 hour minimum charge for all tours.

Beverages, lunch, park admissions, etc. are your responsibility.

Gerry has lived in Cozumel for over 20 years, so of course he knows all the popular tourist destinations as well as the out of the way gems. Popular stops include:

-San Gervasio Ruins http://www.cozumelparks.com/eng/parks-sanGervasio.asp

-Tequila History Tour http://www.worldgolf.com/features/take-the-tequila-tour-when-golfing-in-cozumel-5580.htm

-Punta Sur http://www.cozumelparks.com/eng/parks-puntaSur.asp

-Chankanaab http://www.cozumelparks.com/eng/parks-chankanaab.asp

-Discover Mexico Theme Park http://www.discovermexico.org/

The isolated east side of the island is perfect for beachcombing, sightseeing and having a cold drink at one of the few bar/restaurants on the "wild side". Take some pics of the waves smashing up on the natural limestone "bridge" at EL MIRADOR, and a few snaps from the edge of the cliff at COCONUTS bar. At 41 ft, it's the highest point on the island!

-Mezcalitos http://www.mezcalitos.com/

-Coconuts http://www.islacozumel.net/food/coconuts/ http://www.islands.com/article.jsp?ID=47916

-El Mirador http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1342995619057125515abSXCR

The west side beach clubs are where you want to be if you want to swim or enjoy a jetski, parasail or banana boat ride. Of course, just lounging around and working on your tan while enjoying a frozen island cocktail is acceptable as well! The best spots that DON'T charge an admission fee:

-Mr Sancho's http://www.mrsanchos.com/mr_sanchos/home.htm

-Paradise Beach http://www.paradise-beach-cozumel.com/

Hassle and haggle free shopping can be found at LOS CINCO SOLES. The widest selection of Mexican handicrafts on the island! http://www.loscincosoles.com/mainwelcome.htm

Gerry can also take you souvenir shopping off the main drag where they don't pay kickbacks to the cruiselines and offer much better prices. Of course, if you're a Cozumel regular or have done some research on your own, Gerry can follow YOUR itinerary!

Gerry is currently available, so please write back if you are interested and we'll reserve the day for you. Let us know if you need the station wagon or the van, the # of people going, the name of your ship and what local time you'd like to leave from the pier. I'll reply with a confirmation and rendezvous instructions.

Remember, Cozumel is on Central Time. Same as Texas, one hour behind Florida.

Muchas Gracias,

Gerardo De Leon and Mike.

Hey, you'll be there the same day we will! I got the same reply from Mike last week. He suggested going to the taxi dispatcher at the port and telling him what you're looking for and he can hook you up with a driver. You don't get the reassurance of someone with a great reputation here, but it's a cruise, be adventurous!

We haven't decided for sure what we're going to do, possibly hire a driver, though after looking at the CozumelMyCozumel website, it's tempting to just catch a cab into town (from Puerta Maya) and explore the shops and eateries a bit back from the waterfront. Everything I read indicates this is a VERY safe, friendly place for getting off the beaten path. Our last visit was limited to swimming with the dolphins and doing the sidewalk shuffle, but we loved it.

We spent the day with Gerry on Monday, 12/27. He met us as scheduled with the van (apparently the car was being used for local trips as there were 6 ships, including Oasis of the Seas in port). We had a very specific plan in mind and he took us to all the places we wanted to go.

This was the second time we've toured with Gerry and it was a great as the first!

Lisa (or anyone else)-

I will be on the Navigator of Seas coming into Cozumel and RCL says it shore time is 10-7. Will I be able to book the private driver for 10:00 or should I make it 10:30?

Thanks

Katie

Just received an email from Mike saying all his drivers are booked for 1/21.

What are our other options for a private driver/tour?

Is anyone traveling with Mike's crew who has room for 4 adults (share costs)?

Lisa (or anyone else)-

I will be on the Navigator of Seas coming into Cozumel and RCL says it shore time is 10-7. Will I be able to book the private driver for 10:00 or should I make it 10:30?

Thanks

Katie

I would make it for 9:30 (that will be for 10:30 ships time) remember they are an hour behind as the navigator did not change times 2 weeks ago

Rick

I would make it for 9:30 (that will be for 10:30 ships time) remember they are an hour behind as the navigator did not change times 2 weeks ago

Rick

Rick:

Thanks for the clarification!! What was your favorite thing to do in Cozumel?

Did your ship also port in Grand Cayman? What did you do there?

Thanks

Katie

My favorite part was sitting on the beach at chen rio eating fresh fish and guacomole washing it down with a margarita with my MOm bros and sister.

My mom has never left the port area before (shes in her 80's)so we did a slow paced island tour (my 4th trip this year going back in 3 weeks)

In grand cayman we did the island tour and stingrays through nativeway.. we had used them in the past and I felt very confortable with sharon and eldon.

Rick