Need Info On Star Breeze Tenders

diane.in.ny

I just read these reviews

THE UGLY

The promised ability to dock in the smaller ports was not true. We had to tender in half of the ports. And the tender was awful. Most cruise ships use their life boats, relatively stable catamarans. Windstar, however, used a couple of old 1930-era speed boats, which bounced terribly. When at the ship (er, "yacht"), they only used one rope, and you had to jump on and off the tender. Several people were bruised, and one lady had a rather nasty injury to her arm.

and

Mix of Highs and Lows

the most disappointing part of our week was that every port except Monoco were tendered. We could have forgiven that had the tenders been of a satisfactory standard, however they were both (when they used 2) very old, unsafe and frankly horrible,

Any more reports on this? My husband and I are booked on a back to back for next spring and if this is accurate, the trip is going to be cancelled.

While I will not be on the Star Breeze, I will be on the Star Legend soon. Since we will be using the tenders frequently because of the ports, I will report back on my experience.

I'm sure the tenders were the same ones used by Seabourn previously and I don't recall anyone becoming overly alarmed by them. Of course, maybe they weren't used as frequently.

You don't mention which cruises you are taking - depending on your itinerary, you may not be tendering at all. If it were me, I would do a little more research, wait for a few more reviews before I just cancelled. There is now a third review up for the Breeze. From the review:

We tendered in a few of the ports. This to me was no big deal and never took longer than 10-15 minutes. The nice things about the days we were in ports we tendered too was the water sports platform was down.

Evidently, she did not share the concerns of the other two reviewers. She also brings up another good point - the water sports platform will only be down when tendering - not when docked. So, if this is something important to you keep that in mind.

I totally agree with you stcruise, small ports do not have big docks, the sports platform is terrific, I have always read the Seaboure Cruise Critic and I never remember the tenders being a negative, like everything there probably are negatives and it is all so personal. Perfection is delusional. Go with the flow and one is never disappointed. I am a very easy person and appreciate just about everything with the exception of poorly prepared food. So I am a poor judge, the WS experience is just perfect for my husband and me: tenders, docks, small harbors big ones ( Istanbul one of the most remarkable Sail Aways the harbor the cultures Europe on one side Asia on the other, thrilling ), so looking forward to the harbors of Amsterdam, Rotterdam, seeing the Dover cliffs in the early morning. All great. I think if people did more personal research and are honest with their likes and dislikes, what they can tolerate then they would not be so disappointed. For me it is glorious. Happy Sailing all. Susanne

We are booked for a back to back with the itineraries being the Canary Islands and Lisbon to Barcelona.

http://www.windstarcruises.com/Cruise/Mediterranean/Morocco-and-the-Canary-Islands/?id=24&sid=17858

http://www.windstarcruises.com/Cruise/Mediterranean/Spanish-Serenade/?id=18&sid=17826

Tendering is one issue. We can handle that. What bothers me is both of these pax commenting on the tenders themselves ... old and unsafe and not very stable in the water.

My husband has some mobility issues and while he can handle a regular (lifeboat-style) tender, I am concerned about what is being described here.

I'm wondering if simply my best move is calling Windstar to find out whether or not the ship will tender on our itinerary?

I think your best bet is to call WS. Our friends wanted to go on the Wind Surf for the Tall Shops, he called them, told them his mobility issues and they were very honest and advised him that he would not be comfortable. I was grateful for their honesty. He told then exactly what he could and could not do. I have been on the trip Barcelona to Lisbon on the Wind Surf, great, great trip. We docked of course on both ends Lisbon, Barcelona because they have to restock the ship, and also docked at Malaga, Almeria and Gilbraltar, we did not go to the other places mentioned. Of course docking and tendering are totally up to the port authorities and WS has little if no say in the end. They do not have the best telephone service which is astonishing because on the ship's the service could not seriously be better, but my advice is be exacting and persistent. That way you should not be disappointed. It also sounded like Seville they will dock but ask, have a lovely time. Susanne

Yes, you could call Windstar and find out how much tendering is involved on these itineraries.

However, I would also wait and get a few more reports from people actually using the tenders described. I will take photos and make notes as much as possible on our upcoming cruise keeping in mind your husband's mobility issues. Actually, I would have been doing that anyway since my 88-year old mother is thinking about doing a Caribbean cruise this winter on the Legend.

You have plenty of time to decide whether you want to cancel or not. Both of these itineraries sound great and it would be a shame to cancel and miss out over something that might end up being a non-issue.

Susanne (strenz) - I hope one of these days we get to cruise together - you sound like the type of person we would really enjoy sharing time with!

I'm going to call WS next week and get some information regarding the tendering. I know, in the end, thing are up to the harbor master but I'm sure there is information to be had this early.

Edited by diane.in.ny

Hi Stcruise, thank you for the compliment. Yes, maybe one day that would be nice I also feel we have the same feelings about WS and personal responsibility. Also, you and I and husbands might be more savvy travelers, it is truly our passion and hobby. I research to death, probably too much. I have met 3 people through CC that are on Tall Ships with us, one couple were with us last Jan, out of St. Martin, over heard my husband and I talking about the Tall Ships cruise. I think we are neighbors we live in Orleans on the Cape. I love Providence and one of my favorite spots on earth is Saunderstown. My email is sstlulu@gmail.com. We love WS especially the sails, my husband is ready for the new ships, me not yet, I need to open my mind. The sails lift my spirits. I love meeting people in new ways. How great that your mother at 88 wants to go for it. She must be wonderful. My father's last sailing trip was on WS, he had Alzheimer's the staff was so wonderful to him, he was a sailor sailed all the oceans and great rivers, my sisters and I were thrilled that his last moments were on a sailing ship. Keep in touch, also love reading CC about WS. When/where is your future trip? Happy sailing. Susanne

I am a Seabourn sailor and have been on the Pride Legend and Breeze many times. I can assure you the tenders are safe. They are old, but the ships are old, there is no getting away from that. If there is a swell it is always going to more difficult getting on and off any tender. As it happens, we have just returned from a trip on the Windspirit in Tahiti (back on WS after 15 years) and loved it. We had to tender all but 2 ports and I found the lifeboat tenders uncomfortable, but the ride is so short, does it really matter? I wouldn't cancel a cruise on that alone. I'm sure the crew are still learning about the "new" ships, what works and what doesn't. They are very different, but lovely. Most Seabourn sailors were sad to see them go.

we were on the Star Breeze May 25 Monaco to Rome. We did use tenders in 3 or 4 ports. however I did not think this was a big deal. Yes they are older tenders but you are only on them 10 minutes or so. they certainly seem safe. We really enjoyed the sports platform off the back of the boat. They only have this in place on days that you tender. Frankly I am not sure why folks are so upset by this. We loved our entire Star Breeze experience and hope you will as well!

we were on the Star Breeze May 25 Monaco to Rome. We did use tenders in 3 or 4 ports. however I did not think this was a big deal. Yes they are older tenders but you are only on them 10 minutes or so. they certainly seem safe. We really enjoyed the sports platform off the back of the boat. They only have this in place on days that you tender. Frankly I am not sure why folks are so upset by this. We loved our entire Star Breeze experience and hope you will as well!

Glad to hear that the tenders appeared safe to you. Nice to have your first hand report.

However, the issue for us is my husband's mobility. Some days for him are better than others and I just assumed that a ship the size of the Star Breeze would be docked. It looks like it was a bad assumption on my part and something I need to check on.

Question: Did you have information in your documents before sailing showing which ports you would tender?

as far as mobility issues it just depends... I found it easy to get on and off all but one time when the sea was rough. I did see some folks who needed more help than others. The staff was always there to help you on and off even when the water was calm. I remember one lady in particular who was using "crutches" or poles for stabilization. She was able to get on and off with extra help from the crew.