Pre-Cruise...Houston...NASA

frawnsay

My husband and I are taking a cruise with RCI out of Galveston this July (2015). He's interested in visiting NASA in Houston, Texas the Saturday before we set sail (on Sunday). Does anyone has experience/recommendations for...

--which airport to use (IAH or HOU)

--where to stay (near NASA)

--hotels in the area (close to either the airport or NASA)

--is renting a car necessary for this or are hotel shuttles available

Thanks!

m

My husband and I are taking a cruise with RCI out of Galveston this July (2015). He's interested in visiting NASA in Houston, Texas the Saturday before we set sail (on Sunday). Does anyone has experience/recommendations for...

Thanks!

m

HOU (Hobby) is the closest airport to NASA and Galveston. However, you'll most likely need to fly Southwest to fly into Hobby. The Clear Lake Hilton is just a couple of minutes down NASA Parkway from NASA but is probably pricey. If you go down I-45 just a couple of exits down from NASA is League City and there is a nice clean Super 8 which is economical and safe. You don't want to stay in a hotel near Hobby. Bad area of town. Also don't want to stay in Galveston. Very pricey hotels there. You would need to rent a car most likely. It would be cheaper than a cab to the ship. To visit NASA you'll need to go to Space Center Houston and buy admission. There are a couple of different tours of NASA included in your purchase and several interesting space displays inside. Good luck and have fun.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

1. Hobby Airport (HOU) is closer to both the Johnson Space Center (NASA) and to the Galveston Cruise Terminal than is IAH.

2. There's a Hilton, a Courtyard Marriott and a SpringHill Suites all close to NASA, but wouldn't you rather spend the night in Galveston? Galveston is certainly more scenic than the Clear Lake area around NASA.

3. You will need to rent a car if you want to get from the airport to NASA and then to Galveston for your cruise. No hotels offer shuttles from the various airports to either Galveston or the NASA area.

4. You may be restricted to renting from Enterprise since I think they are the only company that has an office on Galveston Island. And you'll have to make sure that you can rent from the airport and drop off there. And you'll have to check their weekend hours.

5. If worst comes to worst and you can't drop off the rental car in Galveston, you can always rent a car from the airport for the day to go to NASA. Then take the car back to the airport and spend the night at an airport hotel (most of which have shuttles that will pick you up and take you to the airport). Then on Sunday, take the hotel shuttle back to the airport and take the cruise's shuttle (which you will have booked in advance) to take you to Galveston. I don't know what RCI charges for their airport transfers to Galveston, but for two people, it is probably less than what you'd pay for a taxi.

6. You will be fine staying at any hotel around Hobby Airport. We stayed at a nice SpringHill Suites at Houston Hobby airport just last month. The area around Hobby Airport is not particularly scenic, but it is not unsafe.

Edited by GradUT

HOU (Hobby) is the closest airport to NASA and Galveston. However, you'll most likely need to fly Southwest to fly into Hobby. The Clear Lake Hilton is just a couple of minutes down NASA Parkway from NASA but is probably pricey. If you go down I-45 just a couple of exits down from NASA is League City and there is a nice clean Super 8 which is economical and safe. You don't want to stay in a hotel near Hobby. Bad area of town. Also don't want to stay in Galveston. Very pricey hotels there. You would need to rent a car most likely. It would be cheaper than a cab to the ship. To visit NASA you'll need to go to Space Center Houston and buy admission. There are a couple of different tours of NASA included in your purchase and several interesting space displays inside. Good luck and have fun.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you, LSmith :)

I will look into your hotel and city recommendation. I appreciate your response! I'll let you know (after some research) what I find.

1. Hobby Airport (HOU) is closer to both the Johnson Space Center (NASA) and to the Galveston Cruise Terminal than is IAH.

2. There's a Hilton, a Courtyard Marriott and a SpringHill Suites all close to NASA, but wouldn't you rather spend the night in Galveston? Galveston is certainly more scenic than the Clear Lake area around NASA.

3. You will need to rent a car if you want to get from the airport to NASA and then to Galveston for your cruise. No hotels offer shuttles from the various airports to either Galveston or the NASA area.

4. You may be restricted to renting from Enterprise since I think they are the only company that has an office on Galveston Island. And you'll have to make sure that you can rent from the airport and drop off there. And you'll have to check their weekend hours.

5. If worst comes to worst and you can't drop off the rental car in Galveston, you can always rent a car from the airport for the day to go to NASA. Then take the car back to the airport and spend the night at an airport hotel (most of which have shuttles that will pick you up and take you to the airport). Then on Sunday, take the hotel shuttle back to the airport and take the cruise's shuttle (which you will have booked in advance) to take you to Galveston. I don't know what RCI charges for their airport transfers to Galveston, but for two people, it is probably less than what you'd pay for a taxi.

6. You will be fine staying at any hotel around Hobby Airport. We stayed at a nice SpringHill Suites at Houston Hobby airport just last month. The area around Hobby Airport is not particularly scenic, but it is not unsafe.

Thank you for answering so many questions, GradUT!

I first looked into Galveston for our overnight. I hope this doesn't come across as snooty, but the hotels that interested us required a minimum 2-night stay, which made our trip that much more expensive. That's another night, more meals, more $$$. So, here's the snooty party...the hotels that did NOT require a 2-night stay were not to our liking. It's our once-a-year vacation from kids, so we want to live it up :)

Thank you for your hotel recommendations--I'll look into them!

I'm hoping that the last rental car option will work: rent from airport on Saturday for site seeing, return Sunday morning to the airport to catch the RCI shuttle, and the shuttle will get us to and from the port. *fingers crossed*

Thanks!

m

Hobby is at least a half an hour closer to the Pier but only Southwest flies into it.

there are NO rental agencies on the island to drop off other than Enterprise, which is strictly a drop off only( they are closed, you just park and leave your keys in the box) so you then need transportation to the pier. also one way fees aremucho expensive.

if you want to see NASA, you will need to rent car locally for that day and also book private transportation to the pier.

Hobby is at least a half an hour closer to the Pier but only Southwest flies into it.

there are NO rental agencies on the island to drop off other than Enterprise, which is strictly a drop off only( they are closed, you just park and leave your keys in the box) so you then need transportation to the pier. also one way fees aremucho expensive.

if you want to see NASA, you will need to rent car locally for that day and also book private transportation to the pier.

Seven airlines fly in and out of (HOU) Hobby airport.

http://www.fly2houston.com/hobby

Edited by Stevesan

Not quite....Delta and American both fly into HOU. (you will have to connect in either Atlanta or Dallas. But you can get there on them).

Now if you are flying Southwest, Hobby is your only choice...likewise if you are on United, IAH is where you will be.

We live in the Kansas City area, so we have many airlines at our disposal (including Southwest). As far as airlines are concerned, we could select an airline for our desired airport. And from your posts, I believe that Hobby will be our preferred airport for a visit to NASA.

We will be sailing RCI, and they do have shuttles that may be reserved in advance for transportation from either IAH or HOU to the port in Galveston. I am thinking that we will do this as opposed to the one-way rental and drop-off. I think the cruise line transport will be less stressful--we're not driving, if there is a traffic problem, it's a cruise line shuttle, so they wouldn't leave without us...right?

• 2 weeks later...

We live in UT, plan to fly SW into Hobby on Thursday for our cruise leaving out of Galveston on Sunday. We have tentatively made reservations at the Doubletree across from the airport. we are going to rent a car for a few days to go to the Space Center and plan to take the Deep 9 tour that includes lunch the first day and a pass for the next day. which we are very excited about. We will then return the car to the airport and take the Carnival transfer out to Galveston the day of the cruise. after pricing around it seemed to be the least expensive for us since there are only 2 of us. Our TA also recommended Spring Hill suites and was going to check with the people she had been working with that were going to stay there and see out the hotel worked out. OP-- if you can afford it, we found out about the Deep 6 or9 tour can't remember the number it's about $89 per person but it includes a 2 day pass and the extensive tour the first day with lunch at the restaurant supposedly where the astronauts eat?? and a pass for the next day that you can tour on your own. that's what we're going to do. we are very excited about it.

Thank you for answering so many questions, GradUT!

I first looked into Galveston for our overnight. I hope this doesn't come across as snooty, but the hotels that interested us required a minimum 2-night stay, which made our trip that much more expensive. That's another night, more meals, more $$$. So, here's the snooty party...the hotels that did NOT require a 2-night stay were not to our liking. It's our once-a-year vacation from kids, so we want to live it up :)

Thank you for your hotel recommendations--I'll look into them!

I'm hoping that the last rental car option will work: rent from airport on Saturday for site seeing, return Sunday morning to the airport to catch the RCI shuttle, and the shuttle will get us to and from the port. *fingers crossed*

With kids try Moody Gardens Hotel and gardens

And call call call Yes Galveston is a destination and two night stays are sometimes required but not all the time . If your cruising on non big event weekends one night stays are available . Keep trying .

Also try Tremont , Harbor House , Hilton , Galvez , San Luis*, holiday inn resort

Our TA also recommended Spring Hill suites and was going to check with the people she had been working with that were going to stay there and see out the hotel worked out.

We stayed at SpringHill Suites near Hobby Airport in December before our cruise. It worked out well for us. The hotel has a shuttle which will not only pick you up at the airport, but will also take you anywhere within 5 miles of the hotel. We used it to go to Walmart and you can also use it to go to a restaurant since the only restaurant within walking distance of the hotel was a Taco Cabana. The rooms were nice and the breakfast was clean and well-stocked.

We stayed at SpringHill Suites near Hobby Airport in December before our cruise. It worked out well for us. The hotel has a shuttle which will not only pick you up at the airport, but will also take you anywhere within 5 miles of the hotel. We used it to go to Walmart and you can also use it to go to a restaurant since the only restaurant within walking distance of the hotel was a Taco Cabana. The rooms were nice and the breakfast was clean and well-stocked.

Do you by any chance live in the Ogden area and were working with Morris Murdock Travel??

I also noticed that the Springhill is rather close to the freeway did you notice a lot of traffic sounds in the room?? I am really liery about staying at a hotel right on the freeway--we stayed at a hotel in Anaheim one time that was literally over the freeway and it was VERY noisy!!

Edited by karessamom

I am rethinking some options at this point. Original idea of possibly staying in Texas city somehow was not an option for some reason for what now I can't remember. However after hearing that Avis can take you to cruise terminal and having best western give me yet a better option it's sounding more and more like we will. We have changed reservations to BW mainland and will return rental day of cruise to Avis and take VIP shuttle from Avis or hotel to galveston. Anyone have any experience with VIP or the BW?? VIP gave me a quote of $25 for both of us to go to Galveston Wow!!

I have not heard of VIP, but $25 for two people from Texas City to port of Galveston is a terrific deal. if you use them, come back and tell us how they were...good or bad the info will help others.

I understand the re-consideration. When I first booked our cruises I was sure I wanted a hotel inGalveston. But once I found the rental car/port drop off with Texas City Avis, I re-considered. In nice weather, going down to the island for the evening is easy from a base in Texas City....almost as easy as if we'd stayed there. On the other hand, if the weather had been really poor, we might have happier at a nice, big enclosed mall, on which case Texas City would have had an advantage over Galveston as a base. Our cruise was off-peak for Galveston, so hotels were affordable either place; a peak, I am told that Galveston hotels can get pretty pricey, so staying a few miles out could have some extra financial appeal.

Edited by Starry Eyes

thus my question. I tried to look it up on the internet but no website came up. They were recommended from Best Western Mainland hotel in Texas City. and I was very surprised when I called and said they could take us from the hotel or the Avis drop off to Galveston cruise terminal for $25 needless to say i'm a little skeptical. If they can't do it they Avis place says they have a shuttle for $50 out to Galveston now. and if we were there right at 10 when they opened we could be out to the pier by 10:30 or earlier depending on traffic. which is awesome. I think the reason we didn't do the texas city was because we'd have to return to Hobby because I couldn't find cheaper transportation to the port. Sailing on Magic Aug 09 2015. With all the new ships coming in, I think Galveston and the Texas area must be finding a way of stepping up to help people get out to Galveston from Hobby or where ever at least I hope so. e are renting a car from Hobby, coming in a few days earlier and plan to spend 2 days at the space center.

thus my question. I tried to look it up on the internet but no website came up. They were recommended from Best Western Mainland hotel in Texas City. and I was very surprised when I called and said they could take us from the hotel or the Avis drop off to Galveston cruise terminal for $25 needless to say i'm a little skeptical. If they can't do it they Avis place says they have a shuttle for $50 out to Galveston now. and if we were there right at 10 when they opened we could be out to the pier by 10:30 or earlier depending on traffic. which is awesome. I think the reason we didn't do the texas city was because we'd have to return to Hobby because I couldn't find cheaper transportation to the port. Sailing on Magic Aug 09 2015. With all the new ships coming in, I think Galveston and the Texas area must be finding a way of stepping up to help people get out to Galveston from Hobby or where ever at least I hope so. e are renting a car from Hobby, coming in a few days earlier and plan to spend 2 days at the space center.

yours sounds like a terrific plan...we visited the Space Center a few years ago and really enjoyed it. having your own wheels in Texas is wonderful; all the locals drive. Now you have a shuttles react price on a shuttle plus a back up plan if that shuttle lets you down. I doubt that back up plan would be needed as the hotel recommends VIP, they likely are doing a good job.

I totally agree that with all the ships and more and more passenger, the services to support those passengers may be developing, too.

Edited by Starry Eyes

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you who want to visit NASA, Avis/Budget now allow a one way

rental from either airport with a drop off on Sunday at the Texas City Sears

Store in the Mall on the Mainland. For transportation to the port, they will

shuttle you for $50 one way. There are several hotels at the mall.

We're flying into Hobby for cruise and staying in Texas City. We are renting a car from Avis and returning it Sunday day of cruise to the texas city location. they have a shuttle that will take you to Galveston for $50 but when I called the Best Western for another question she told me that there was a VIP shuttle service that can take you from texas city to Galveston for $25 for the BOTH of us! we jumped on that one! We're staying at the Best Western Mainland it's actually on the perimeter of the Mall of the Mainland where the Sears is for the Rental return!

Do you by any chance live in the Ogden area and were working with Morris Murdock Travel??

I also noticed that the Springhill is rather close to the freeway did you notice a lot of traffic sounds in the room?? I am really liery about staying at a hotel right on the freeway--we stayed at a hotel in Anaheim one time that was literally over the freeway and it was VERY noisy!!

I haven't been following this thread, Karessamom, so I didn't see this until today.

No, I don't live anywhere near Utah.

Our room at the SpringHill Suites was super quiet--I'm really sensitive to noise too.

Sounds like you've got a good plan for getting to Galveston.

We're flying into Hobby for cruise and staying in Texas City. We are renting a car from Avis and returning it Sunday day of cruise to the texas city location. they have a shuttle that will take you to Galveston for $50 but when I called the Best Western for another question she told me that there was a VIP shuttle service that can take you from texas city to Galveston for $25 for the BOTH of us! we jumped on that one! We're staying at the Best Western Mainland it's actually on the perimeter of the Mall of the Mainland where the Sears is for the Rental return!

Hi, can you give us the name of this VIP Shuttle Service please? We also need to get to the Avis in Texas City from Galveston upon our return from the cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to let you know if you plan to do the Deep 9 tour at NASA (this is the deep tour that takes you to more places than the regular tour) which we are they only run M-F not on Saturdays but as part of the tour ($89) it includes space center admission for 2 days. we plan to do the level 9 tour on Friday and come back on Saturday and see anything else we want to see that we didn't get a chance to. you need to make reservations early online as the level 9 tours sell out fast. They only take 12 people. On Friday's they have 2 tours running. One I think starts at 10 and the other 11:45 both include lunch. I got the phone number for the VIP shuttle from Best Western hotel of the Mainland in Texas City. just googled it-- Phone: (409) 761-7311

• 2 weeks later...
Just wanted to let you know if you plan to do the Deep 9 tour at NASA (this is the deep tour that takes you to more places than the regular tour) which we are they only run M-F not on Saturdays but as part of the tour ($89) it includes space center admission for 2 days. we plan to do the level 9 tour on Friday and come back on Saturday and see anything else we want to see that we didn't get a chance to. you need to make reservations early online as the level 9 tours sell out fast. They only take 12 people. On Friday's they have 2 tours running. One I think starts at 10 and the other 11:45 both include lunch. I got the phone number for the VIP shuttle from Best Western hotel of the Mainland in Texas City. just googled it-- Phone: (409) 761-7311

So is this shuttle service only through Best Western, or is it available for whatever hotel in Texas City? I haven't been able to find a web page or email for them to contact for a guesstimate.

ETA: I am looking at doing the exact same thing. Our cruise leaves on Saturday, so I've scheduled the Deep 9 tour for Friday morning, which means I need to fly in sometime Thursday and figure out what to do Thursday and where to stay and how to get there. Unfortunately, it looks likely I'll be flying in to IAH since I have miles that can get us there.

Edited by Need-a-vacation

• 2 weeks later...