Hawaii Excursions

Libertarian

We are interested in doing the Culinary Home Tour and Akaka Falls,Macadamia Nut farm tour.Has anyone been able to do both in port?

It has many decades since I last visited Akaka Falls. I keep saying I am going to do it on my next cruise. Akaka Falls is in the opposite direction from the Maunaloa Mac Farm with Hilo somewhere in the middle. Most cruises make this a short port because the captain generally likes to clear the breakwater before sunset.

I know my way around Hilo and it was a fast paced trip to do everything I wanted to do and still pick/drop off a car. How long is the Culinary Home Tour? It will take you at least one hour round trip just to Akaka Falls. Add in time to park and walk the trails and you should plan on at least 2 hours total. As far as the Macadamia Nut Factory goes, been there a couple of times. Not really much to see but they do have an extensive show room.

Given a choice, I would take the falls. Rainbow Falls is a much smaller, less impressive one but very close to town. It's been raining a lot here, so either falls would be lovely.

Displace Local Girl

We are interested in doing the Culinary Home Tour and Akaka Falls,Macadamia Nut farm tour.Has anyone been able to do both in port?

In Hilo we rented a car a had time to go to Rainbow & Akaka falls plus the Moana Loa mac nut visitors center. I don't know anything about the Culinary Home Tour.

We felt that the nut farm tour was a waste of time. It may be interesting if they were operating, but we just looked in the windows at stacks of pallets and a parked fork lift. They do have a store there where they sell their product's, but you can buy them in town.

JMHO

Dave

We felt that the nut farm tour was a waste of time. It may be interesting if they were operating, but we just looked in the windows at stacks of pallets and a parked fork lift. They do have a store there where they sell their product's, but you can buy them in town.

JMHO

Dave

Agreed - same when I was there. Bus driver seem to want to "linger". Boring and cheaper to buy your nuts in a regular store. Felt it was a waste of tour time which was fairly expensive.