Door decor

jlindemer

Just do a search either here or on Google and you'll get lots of door decorating ideas and photos. The Disney board usually gets quite creative.

Some people get things at local dollar stores or party supply stores. Some just make posters or banners. Others use magnets.

@ JL

The doors are steel and magnets stick to them. Don't use a magnet that is valuable to you, though, because someone who doesn't like decorated doors might pilfer it!

The corridors of stateroom decks are about as beautiful as your average college dorm.

Thanks to those that have been helpful. :cool: I cruised on Disney and we have a fish thing. We travel Carnival now because we can no longer afford Disney. But, that doesn't mean we cannot be festive!

I will google. And, try to find out about types of magnets that would be good to use.

I got strong magnets, disks about 1/2" diameter in a pack of 8, from my local Ace Hardware store. Plain, nothing to inspire collectors to make off with them.

I also got some magnets with cup-hooks on them there, pack of 4. Not quite as strong, but still good. I thought they'd be handy for hanging my lanyard with SAS card but the Norwegian Star wound up having two small hooks in just the right place, so I used them with the others just for holding up maps and notices inside the cabin (the WALLS are also magnetic!).

I did use some of the magnets to put a "Welcome Cabin Crawl" sign on the door, but only for that day.

Edited by crystalspin

Thanks to those that have been helpful. :cool: I cruised on Disney and we have a fish thing. We travel Carnival now because we can no longer afford Disney. But, that doesn't mean we cannot be festive!

I will google. And, try to find out about types of magnets that would be good to use.

Hi jlindemer:) I have traveled on Carnival 7 times & Princess 7 times. I loved all of them & they both have medal doors. I use the clip with a magnet on the back of it. Sometimes they come with the chip clip. Just use it to clip whatever. The first one is on our way to Hawaii to celebrate our 50th Anniversary & the other 3 was on the Caribbean cruise. Easy to find your cabin.:cool:

DSCN0586.jpg.5330bcc6319f800ab33d26fcb968a041.jpg

Ruby_Princess_4-15-134.jpg.a32ea40c554d132b018c17642eff503f.jpg

1831143316_232323232_fp6327__nu5933_263.jpg.b7c3e965178c1a8c45f01b08c6567c51.jpg

DSCN1424.jpg.5f4f5e3bec0e841534f9b9c090b11cb4.jpg

I just looked at Pinterest and there are tons of ideas on there :). I am not great at coming up with my own ideas but I can sure copy some one else's!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I love Pinterest! I don't know why I didn't think of that! Thanks!

Hi jlindemer:) I have traveled on Carnival 7 times & Princess 7 times. I loved all of them & they both have medal doors. I use the clip with a magnet on the back of it. Sometimes they come with the chip clip. Just use it to clip whatever. The first one is on our way to Hawaii to celebrate our 50th Anniversary & the other 3 was on the Caribbean cruise. Easy to find your cabin.:cool:

Thanks for the ideas! Congrats on the 50 years! I hope to be married that long. We are celebrating 13 this year.

We are heading out on the Brilliance of the Seas March 10th-15th. I am curious about the door decorating and the whys of it. Is it because it makes your door easier to find either for yourself or others?? My fiancée has never been on a cruise and I haven't been on a cruise since 1995 and that was my senior class trip on Dolphin cruise lines. The ship was small and we all knew where to find each other. lol. My fiancée and I keep seeing things about decorating doors and bringing magnets to hang stuff up and we just wanted a little experienced cruiser input. Thanks!!

We are heading out on the Brilliance of the Seas March 10th-15th. I am curious about the door decorating and the whys of it. Is it because it makes your door easier to find either for yourself or others?? My fiancée has never been on a cruise and I haven't been on a cruise since 1995 and that was my senior class trip on Dolphin cruise lines. The ship was small and we all knew where to find each other. lol. My fiancée and I keep seeing things about decorating doors and bringing magnets to hang stuff up and we just wanted a little experienced cruiser input. Thanks!!

It's just a fun thing to do. Some people feel it makes their door easier to find in a long passageway of doors. But every door has it's number displayed(usually in two places) .

I've been doing just a sign (on 8-1/2 x 11 paper), typing up a holiday type message or playing around with a festive stamp, scanning it and enlarging. It did help us to pinpoint our cabin door very quickly. My mistake the last time was to bring a couple of wimpy magnets (we still had some of the "letters" from a preschooler alphabet set) which had trouble keeping the sign up. I think the next time, I'll bring a stronger set of magnets.

I understand that some people find this tacky, but hey, it's a cruise. Very different from a land vacation. We've been doing holiday time cruises lately and some people put wreathes or bows on their door. Adds to the festive atmosphere.

I've been doing just a sign (on 8-1/2 x 11 paper)' date=' typing up a holiday type message or playing around with a festive stamp, scanning it and enlarging. It did help us to pinpoint our cabin door very quickly. My mistake the last time was to bring a couple of wimpy magnets (we still had some of the "letters" from a preschooler alphabet set) which had trouble keeping the sign up. I think the next time, I'll bring a stronger set of magnets.

I understand that some people find this tacky, but hey, it's a cruise. Very different from a land vacation. We've been doing holiday time cruises lately and some people put wreathes or bows on their door. Adds to the festive atmosphere.[/quote']

Our last cruise I had magnets on the back of a couple of pictures I wanted to put on our door. The door had a pretty thick plastic laminate on it :(. So, the magnets didn't stick. I used earthquake putty. Sticks well and easy to remove.

We only decorated our door once. It was a Thanksgiving cruise so I bought two of those foam-type signs that said HAPPY THANKSGIVING and put one on our door and gave one to our son and his fiancée. After a couple of days, someone spied one of them and must have decided that it would look better on their door!

We do not decorate our door anymore (not because of that!) but it helps when someone has a balloon or something on THEIRS and we can spot ours easily. :)

Our last cruise I had magnets on the back of a couple of pictures I wanted to put on our door. The door had a pretty thick plastic laminate on it :(. So, the magnets didn't stick. I used earthquake putty. Sticks well and easy to remove.

That's a good idea too. I imagine it's easily found on Amazon (might be called museum putty or wax as they use it for exhibits).

I am curious about the door decorating and the whys of it. Is it because it makes your door easier to find either for yourself or others?

Reading between the lines of the OP, I think they're suspecting that for whatever reason ;) late at night, they start to suffer from blurred vision, wobbly legs, reduced cognitive function, and can't read or understand the door numbers.

If you find yourself next to a decorated door, please be quiet next morning - they may suffer from early morning headaches too! :rolleyes:

Here is why I want to do it. On our cruise last March DH had a few drinks before dinner. A couple of Long Islands were in that group of drinks. He spilled water at dinner and went to the room to change. He then went to the Lido deck to walk around, and well, couldn't figure out our room number after that. I found him in the right floor whispering name trying to find us. :-)