A day in Vancouver

Thank you it does. Recommendations are the icing on the cake.;);) Do you have another link for this site as it is closed at present 'changing names or something it said'

Thanks I found it by google New site Due to the days we are there we can only make the Saturday lunch time one so have penciled that in.

Now to source something to do on the next day to celebrate my birthday - not too dear but possibly a little bit special

I'll try to give you some idea.

<snip>

Basically most of the dinner entrees ought to run between $10 and $20 per person, with pasta dishes and Fish & Chips on the lower end of that and maybe steaks on the upper end. Maybe meatloaf or pork in the middle range. Things like Steak & Lobster could go higher, but shouldn't go higher by a lot.

Sandwiches platters ought to be under $10, $6.95 to $8.95 depending on the sandwich/burger.

Short answer to this is: not going to happen. Canada in general is more expensive for food than the USA; the cheaper the price-range the bigger the difference as we have higher minimum wages, taxes etc. so it's impossible to match US pricing. Vancouver is also the most expensive large city in Canada for pretty much everything.

In the 'pub grub & bargain steakhouse' bracket the prices won't be too much higher in absolute terms, and I'll provide links to the websites so you can see the exact pricing, but expect to pay $15 for what you think should be $10. On the good news front, our tax on food is now only 5% again - but on booze it's up to 15%.

On to some recos...

Cheap steaks: the Hamilton Street Grill always scores highly (usually third best in town) in local restaurant awards and is very reasonable compared to most steakhouses (a couple of NY Strips < $30, $35 for a good ribeye with sides).

The Keg, a Canadian chain of steakhouses, offers several steak options and even a couple of complete dinners for under $30. Decent steaks and 'customer goes away 100% happy or we fix it' is their mantra - I've had a bottle of wine comped for one steak at a table of four being overcooked (Med-Rare vs Rare) and friends had an entire dinner for four comped when they ran out of the signature Prime Rib.

Hands-down the cheapest steak in town (and one of the best classic burgers) is at Save On Meats diner. They offer a 5oz Striploin for $13.95 until 2pm (though there is a chicken-fried NY steak of unspecified size on the all-day menu for $14.95). Double-check their website for location before you come - they're temporarily somewhere else right now while their building is being fixed up by the landlord. They *should* be back to W Hastings before your arrival... Caveat: the menu has changed while they're at their temp location (smaller kitchen) - when they return to their regular joint I believe it's going back to the full menu, but it may not and pricing may be different...

Cheap Fish & Chips - Search for F&C and you'll find several exchanges on both Canada and West Coast boards, but price-wise you'll be lucky to come in under $15 as it tends to be good 'name-brand' fish (haddock, cod, halibut) battered in-house rather than 'generic whitefish pre-battered by the supplier.'

The Fish Shack on Granville for the widest range of fish (and they do have some daily deals which can bring oysters, lobster and crab well into the realms of cheap). Otherwise any of the pubs I mention just below will offer at least one fish & chip dish.

Pub Grub - there are a plethora of casual restaurants/pubs in Vancouver. I'll focus on downtown locations as these are most likely where you'll be, especially at lunchtime, while you're seeing the sights.

Subeez is a little higher-end than most on the list, but always good value, although their DJ gets annoyingly loud if you're in there later in the evening.

Malone's is the best value downtown bar I've found (although the Railway Club specials are even less, they have very limited kitchen hours and options and every night there's live entertainment, often with a cover charge).

Rogue now have three branches (Convention Centre and original at Waterfront Station are both convenient for tourists) and a good kitchen, as well as an excellent selection of Pacific Northwest beers.

Donnelly Pubs are nearly as ubiquitous as Starbucks in Vancouver. The link goes to the Lamplighter menu in Gastown, but it's almost identical in every one of their venues. Some of their daily specials are worthwhile.

Tap & Barrel pubs are pricier because of their view - YMMV as to the relative value, but if it's a sunny day the queue for seats on the patio gets ridiculous, so most folks seem to think it's worth the extra. I actually very much like the food quality and while the beer looks pricey, it's always a full Imperial Pint (20oz) so is actually cheaper than many other bars who often serve 14-16oz beers. Be very suspicious of anything called a 'sleeve' as it has no legal definition!

On the Italian side, the Old Spaghetti Factory is always busy when I pass - it's definitely the most casual/cheap/family friendly resto in the vicinity of Water Street.

If you're willing to spend a little more on really *good* pies, you could try Nicli Antica or Pizzeria Farina (the latter may be out of the way for you, though if you're at Science World it's very convenient).

Edited by martincath
Added SaveOnMeats caveat

Thanks. After my initial pass through of what you sent, we might try Old Spaghetti Factory. They have chicken parmigiana for $14.95, and actually dining out, my wife and I have split that meal several times. Only drawback is when we do, we usually get an appetizer of mozarella sticks, which amazingly they do not have. But then again, she could eat the salad and I could get a soup first.

I see they also have New York Center Cut Steak for $17.50.

Edited by QuiGonJohn

We try to east at an Olde Spaghetti Factory once a year. Some 44 years ago this spring it is where DW and I took our parents to eat and meet one another for the first time after we were engaged. It's not exactly gourmet dining but it is inexpensive, fills you up and frankly it is all that I could afford in those days. Understandably, we kind of have a soft spot in our hearts for the OSF.:)

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
As the Sun is homeporting in Vancouver for the Alaska cruise season it will berth at Canada Place - Ballantyne pier is only used on two weekends a year - one in May and one in September when a number of non-homeporting ships stop in Vancouver as they start the repo season south.

There also was some talk that Ballantyne may not be used next year as there are reconstructing one of the overpasses to access it and the other one is some distance away.

Whether this happens will have to wait until the full schedule is posted.

Cheers

Dennis

Looks like Radiance of the Seas is booked into Ballantyne in September for 2 weekends. We arrive from Seward on Sep 5 then depart again on Seo 12 for the repo to Australia via Hawaii.

Can anyone confirm if this is to be highly likely as many on the roll call have booked the Pan Pacific thinking we dock at Canada Place.

This will be a real bummer and let down if it's the case.

How do we get to Canada Place to pick up, for example, the Pacific Coach to Victoria (ferry!). Is taxi the only way? The ship does have 2 shore excursions with hotel/airport drop but that doesn't apply to us.

Any info appreciated and I will post on the roll call.

Hugh

Ballantyne is only a short taxi away from canada place...maybe 10 min. If you are staying at the Pan Pacific you will have absolutely no problem getting a taxi to ballantyne...there is always a line of taxis out front waiting.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Forums mobile app

Looks like Radiance of the Seas is booked into Ballantyne in September for 2 weekends. We arrive from Seward on Sep 5 then depart again on Seo 12 for the repo to Australia via Hawaii.

Can anyone confirm if this is to be highly likely as many on the roll call have booked the Pan Pacific thinking we dock at Canada Place.

This will be a real bummer and let down if it's the case.

How do we get to Canada Place to pick up, for example, the Pacific Coach to Victoria (ferry!). Is taxi the only way? The ship does have 2 shore excursions with hotel/airport drop but that doesn't apply to us.

Any info appreciated and I will post on the roll call.

Hugh

Your are correct! The schedule below shows your ship will dock at Ballantyne. Save this link to reference closer to cruise time to confirm.

http://www.portmetrovancouver.com/en/about/cruiseandtourism/cruiselineschedules.aspx

• 4 weeks later...
Can all the above be done in say a day ?

We are landing before noon, staying at Pan Pacific. Check in

Walk Seawall to Stanley Park. Jump on Hoho Trolley.

Switch trolleys to city trolley, see Grandville Market, Gastown Clock and

Chinese Gardens. Maybe add Look out. Nice dinner.

Next morning go to Cap Sus. bridge and Grouse Mt then drop off at Cruise Ship.

Do-able?

Also, where can we pick up a case of water for the cruise?

How far from Canada Place?

You've stuffed a lot on the first day! You might not be able to do the gardens and the HOHO will take you by most of the other sights. Dinner might be late if you wander around the gardens.

Dinner? Try the Twisted Fork Bistro (a short cab ride south of the Pan Pacific) on Granville St between Davie and Helmcken St.

• 6 months later...

Well we leave in less than a week, and just over 2 weeks til we will be in Vancouver.

We booked the Vancouver City Tour, thru NCL for when we arrive in port. Slated to start at 9am, so hopefully that will help us to get off the ship timely. We can carry our own bags.

I have the info from here, and hopefully, after the city tour, we can plan out the rest of our day.

Thank you it does. Recommendations are the icing on the cake.;);) Do you have another link for this site as it is closed at present 'changing names or something it said'

Sorry had the address incorrect try http://www.offtheeatentrack.ca should have been ca not .com

They are still there and have actually expanded with a diner and a brunch tour which I plan to try for my birthday :):)

I am pretty sure they are out on Mondays - I live downtown and walk by the Art Gallery/Robson Square and they always seem to be there - perhaps ScottB who works downtown can confirm.

Cheers!

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

From a couple of days in Vancouver at the beginning and end of a cruise of Alaska's Inside Passage I did this. The Celebration of Light fireworks seem to take place in the week starting on the last Saturday in July.

[YOUTUBE]a-u1IcJ6VtM[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]typQucY7Yx4[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]CgeIzEewMhM[/YOUTUBE]

All the best, Tony