Britannia Iberia cruise - September

cobrakatie

Hi fellow cruisers

We have booked to go on the Britannia Food Heroes cruise in September. We have sailed with her before and had a wonderful cruise.

In terms of the ports, can anyone give advice on things to do in La Rochelle, Vigo and Lisbon? Anyone been to the Aquarium in Lisbon? We will have two young children with us (under 3).

Also any idea what the weather might be like mid-Sept in that area? Our cabin is mid floor mid ship for stability!

One last question- has anyone done any of the Food Heroes classes? Are they expensive and are they worth it? Think the chef is James Martin.

Thank you!

Katie

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The weather should be fine its quite warm around then.

The food hero classes are £90 each, the normal classes are good fun at £45 each so half price.

The aquarium is fantastic, I have pictures if you want to know more though I don't want to spoil it for you!

Edited by CCFC

Hi Katie, we are on the cruise after you to the Canaries. James Martin is on our cruise too and we are going to try and get onto his cookery course. Have been told it is £100 each and places go quickly. I am watching for when the courses are open for booking which I understand will be in May. For your cruise it might already be open. Good luck and enjoy.

Called in Lisbon and Vigo on Britannia late September early October last year and you could feel the temperature dropping as we headed north. At Lisbon you can get on the shuttle bus which takes you into the middle of the capital near the river and the huge square which is impressive with the river and the backdrop. The custard pies are a local delicacy and scrumptious. We had never been before so just had a walk round. There is a castle on the top of the hill that I think we may try and see next time we go. Vigo was mainly shut and a bit of a disappointment in that respect. It was a typical Spanish town.You can walk straight off the ship into the old part of the town . The journey leaving Lisbon and Vigo on the Britannia was amazing especially on the aft of the ship. We travelled down to the Canaries and she travels very well.

• 2 months later...

Hi again, just seen the excursions P&O are offering on our cruise. I see they offer one to the Lisbon Aquarium. We will have two children under 3 in pushchairs so want to avoid the coach. How easy is it to get to the aquarium ourselves ( what is best mode of transport with pushchairs?)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The aquarium is away from old Lisbon so you will need either taxi, metro or train. We took a metro to Oriente and explored the area.

Trains run from Santa Apolonia station to Oriente, takes about 10 minutes and fares are cheap.