Stone Island

Bemidji Ty

Stone Island is fantastic, not a dump, rustic for sure. Great place to swim, eat and drink. You can walk there too. :D

Go to tripadvisor.com and you can find current pictures, or google it. I enjoyed a coconut shrimp and beer at Let's.

Edited by PekingeseLady

Thanks. We have spent many happy hours on Stone Island: eating shrimp, drinking Mexican Beer, relaxing while enjoying the scenery and riding with Randi and her Happy Horses through the coconut groves. We love that it is "rustic". For us, that's a big part of its charm.

I did visit TA Mazatlan: Stone Island and found what I wanted to know. We can't wait to get back.

Cheers

Does Stone Island do well with US dollars, or do folks generally recommend pesos here?

I bought my your add an excursion at the port. Everything including alcohol was included so I didn't purchase anything.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

USD is universally accepted in Mazatlan. We were there last spring and Lety's (on Stone Island) had a very fair exchange rate. There is a cambio in the shopping area of the cruise terminal if you want to get pesos (about half way thru on the left as you're walking out).

I bought my your add an excursion at the port. Everything including alcohol was included so I didn't purchase anything.

How much did you pay...was it a private add on excursion or ship?

We were on Stone Island 2 weeks ago and it was lovely. Not crowded at all; easy to get to; beautiful long, sandy beach. There were some places that were closed and we ended up at a very casual and inexpensive place that was pretty much closest to the water taxi dropoff, but not at all a "dump."

How much did you pay...was it a private add on excursion or ship?

Sorry just got back from a cruise. It was I believe $35 pp. This was booked through a private company and not the cruise ship. I think it was Johan and someone I booked through.

We were at Stone Island last week. We did not book a tour. We took the water taxi (about 2 dollars per person for round trip ticket). We had a delicious lunch at Lety's......a must if you are looking for a good Mexican lunch.

We walked the beach and had such a nice time.

Lety's is just about the last restaraunt. Victor's is next, I think that's about the end. Maybe a 10 minute walk from the water taxi dock.

Walk out the terminal, turn left and walk to the end of the street where you'll veer left on a gravel road about a hundred yards long. I'd guess the pangas are about 18ft? I've never seen a line, maybe one or two other folks waiting on either side.

I'm curious how far is Lety's from the water taxi? We basically stopped at the first restaurant, but later I walked a little ways down and not much looked open. Maybe I didn't go far enough?

I don't know how to judge the distance, but if you see a white three story building set back from the beach, Letys is a short distance beyond that. I would guess a little less than a half mile from the beginning of the beach to Lety's

You will usually see a pick up or other vehicle with bench seats at the water taxi dock who will take you where you want to go for a couple of dollars.

Is it easy to get to the water taxi from the pier..how big are the taxi's.... Is there a long line to board?

I think PulledPorky has answered your questions, but you won't have to wait long. There are several pangas and they will take about 15 to 20 people each. The ride across the channel takes about 5 minutes at most.

If you are on deck when the ship enters the channel, you can see the small dock on the right that is Stone Island, and the water taxi terminal is directly across behind a restaurant on the point by the ferry terminal.

Is it easy to get to the water taxi from the pier..how big are the taxi's.... Is there a long line to board?

You just walk outside the marina for about 1/3 a mile..turn left..walk down a dirt road and u will see the water taxi stand. They taxis are small boats that carry maybe 10-12 people. Hold on to your ticket as u need it on the way back. Walk along the beach on the island when u get there and there are many places to choose from. We went to CARMELITAS which is right next to Letys. Found a table and sat for the day..2 baileys and Coffee.. Five beers, one huge nacho, one water and one pop was $30. The ocean is calm for swimming...the vendors are MANY but all very nice and USUALLY a no gracias works!