Sirena Tahiti cruise Feb 2017

Linda L

Linda, don't know if you are following this. We took that air credit from Oceania and we are flying in on an overnight Air France flight Economy Plus a few days early and then going to take the ferry directly to Moorea for 3 nights. On the return, we will stay at a hotel for a night and then leave on Saturday morning on Air France.

I can deal with the overnight on the way over since I will have a day to relax once I get there. I prefer to relax at a hotel or tour Tahiti and leave the next morning.

We are from the east coast and we will overnight in LA both ways. We try to avoid the crazy pressure of flying and moving around as much as possible. Good luck in your decisions.

If you can come in a day or two earlier and take the ferry over to Moorea, about 20 minutes and stay there in an over the water bungalow. If you can't come in early then I still suggest hoping on a ferry, they depart and return frequently and do an excursion on Moorea. Have a blast, hope I can return one day.

If you can come in a day or two earlier and take the ferry over to Moorea, about 20 minutes and stay there in an over the water bungalow. If you can't come in early then I still suggest hoping on a ferry, they depart and return frequently and do an excursion on Moorea. Have a blast, hope I can return one day.

Totaly correct....However getting in at 0500-0600, after a 8-9 hour red eye, I strongly suggest you consider a shower and 6-8 hours of sleep rather than launching into a tour mode the second your feet hit the ground. Many will be 5 hours time diff. and from euuro--10 to 11 hours. Id rest and start the first days of the cruise fresh and rested. If you can catch one of the rare tahiti nui afternoon flights that arrive around 9pm.......kill if you have to to get that... and go right to the ship which is even better As I remember there are only 4 flights a week that come in the 9pm slot and only on Tahiti Nui/code share.

We are interested in going to Tahiti on Sirena next February. I just got off the phone with Oceania cruises and were told that the transfers from the airport to the cruise ship is $129.00 per person each way....

Are you sure this doesn't include some kind of day-room before you board the ship? Because they have to do *something* with the incoming passengers on turnaround day. But I completely concur that it's better to come in a day, or two, or three days early and do your own thing--if I did that, then I'd think about booking my own air, to save the deviation fee--we have flown Air France Premium Economy from LAX and it's pretty good--of course, they only fly certain days of the week which defines your pre- and post-cruise stays.

...What's the thought about just sitting in the airport until it's time to get to the ship and then taking a taxi? ...

Believe me, you *don't* want to sit in the airport all day! I speak from experience--we've languished there twice on trips where we were taking ongoing flights to the islands and had to wait for hours for our flights. Not horrible, but boring, really boring. And warm.

• 3 months later...

Mura and others are correct- Oceania transfer prices are way overpriced and should be avoided everywhere. We rarely book transfers on any cruise line, we find private transfer companies or take a cab. We also book our own pre and post cruise hotels. We also take the air credit and book our own air as I don't care to pay deviation charges to get the flights I want.

A knowledgeable Oceania TA set me straight on the pitfalls of O transfers, hotels and air program.

Otherwise Oceania is a wonderful cruise line and they do a nice job with Tahiti.

There is some very good advice in this thread about Tahiti. Never, ever fly in the day or evening of the cruise. We flew in four days early, a cab ride to our hotel was about $30 fixed. I didn't care about the free hotel transfer as we didn't want to wait for others. We stayed one night at the Tahiti Nui then we took a morning ferry to Moorea. We had a package deal with Tahiti Legends for round trip ferry, transfers to and from the hotel in Moorea and three nights hotel. We were refreshed and rested to get on the ship after a return ferry to Tahiti.

Whatever you do do not book Oceania 's day package to kill time before or after the cruise. I've read many complaints about inadequate facilities.

Mura and others are correct- Oceania transfer prices are way overpriced and should be avoided everywhere. We rarely book transfers on any cruise line, we find private transfer companies or take a cab. We also book our own pre and post cruise hotels. We also take the air credit and book our own air as I don't care to pay deviation charges to get the flights I want.

A knowledgeable Oceania TA set me straight on the pitfalls of O transfers, hotels and air program.

Otherwise Oceania is a wonderful cruise line and they do a nice job with Tahiti.

There is some very good advice in this thread about Tahiti. Never, ever fly in the day or evening of the cruise. We flew in four days early, a cab ride to our hotel was about $30 fixed. I didn't care about the free hotel transfer as we didn't want to wait for others. We stayed one night at the Tahiti Nui then we took a morning ferry to Moorea. We had a package deal with Tahiti Legends for round trip ferry, transfers to and from the hotel in Moorea and three nights hotel. We were refreshed and rested to get on the ship after a return ferry to Tahiti.

Whatever you do do not book Oceania 's day package to kill time before or after the cruise. I've read many complaints about inadequate facilities.

once in my life-another cruise line- i booked the cruiseline hotel-last time ever. hotels and rides i do my own. only in Venice have i used ships transfer.. only place worth it to me.

have stayed in Moorea but this time on Papeete. just want to read and sit under a tree.

and take taxi to hotel for pre cruise stay.

Sadly, on one occasion I had to cancel cruise and only got airline to give me voucher for 1 yr.then penalty attached.Ended up losing lots of money because not able to use it.

For next one, got cancel for any reason,,just in case.Then next one ,used cruise air and worked out OK. Depends on where I m going,etc.

But never use the transfers unless FREE, always tell TA NOT to inc.if charged.

and take taxi to hotel for pre cruise stay.

Sadly, on one occasion I had to cancel cruise and only got airline to give me voucher for 1 yr.then penalty attached.Ended up losing lots of money because not able to use it.

For next one, got cancel for any reason,,just in case.Then next one ,used cruise air and worked out OK. Depends on where I m going,etc.

But never use the transfers unless FREE, always tell TA NOT to inc.if charged.

I have a Regent cruise in 2018. already refuse the air and then wil. refsue the hotel.. by refusing air i saved 2500. i fly FC and never even paid 1000 in this country. Regent gives one night hotel and i want two nights. snow season taking no chances.

as far as transfers like i said only Venice. everywhere else i get a driver to hotel or airport.

I have a Regent cruise in 2018. already refuse the air and then wil. refsue the hotel.. by refusing air i saved 2500. i fly FC and never even paid 1000 in this country. Regent gives one night hotel and i want two nights. snow season taking no chances.

as far as transfers like i said only Venice. everywhere else i get a driver to hotel or airport.

First getting a driver to a hotel in Tahiti....Taxi for $28.. A limo will cost you hundreds.... for the 7-10 min ride to that hotel or pier.

Second I dont know of any airline offering First class to Tahiti? Tahiti NUI, Hawaiian, Air france all only offer business class seats and only Air france has as I remember full recline business. You will find your $1000 rule tough as Business class is going to run you close to $3000 rt.... The best deal I ever got was Air France for $1560 one way... Best hotel is Tahiti Nui its almost across the street from the pier where you will board expect to pay $200 for a room.... Tahiti is a VERY expensive place and very very experienced in relieving you from as much money as possible...You are NOT going to find the same depth of "service" you fine in europe or the US.... Yes they speak french.. but thats about the extent of euro standards..... Service is not a big thin in Tahiti its a captive market.

With 2 days, I would arrive, take the ferry to Moorea and check out the Softell on Moorea.... you can get a over water room for under $600 a night Expensive? No because most over waters go for $1000 to 1500 a night...

PLEASE blog and write review. Will be MUCH appreciated to those of us on the fence about booking this one.

Will look for it,thanks in advance.

I dont understand how I can write a review for a cruise that hasent happened and I dont know you mean by a blog...???? There should be enough information laid out that it is not difficult to figure out... If your insecure about the cruise still...dont take it.. Life is not full of 100% guarantees and searching for one will be frustrating...

First getting a driver to a hotel in Tahiti....Taxi for $28.. A limo will cost you hundreds.... for the 7-10 min ride to that hotel or pier.

Second I dont know of any airline offering First class to Tahiti? Tahiti NUI, Hawaiian, Air france all only offer business class seats and only Air france has as I remember full recline business. You will find your $1000 rule tough as Business class is going to run you close to $3000 rt.... The best deal I ever got was Air France for $1560 one way... Best hotel is Tahiti Nui its almost across the street from the pier where you will board expect to pay $200 for a room.... Tahiti is a VERY expensive place and very very experienced in relieving you from as much money as possible...You are NOT going to find the same depth of "service" you fine in europe or the US.... Yes they speak french.. but thats about the extent of euro standards..... Service is not a big thin in Tahiti its a captive market.

With 2 days, I would arrive, take the ferry to Moorea and check out the Softell on Moorea.... you can get a over water room for under $600 a night Expensive? No because most over waters go for $1000 to 1500 a night...

You are being very helpful here. but i was talking about a flight RT in America for 2018 vs flying to Papeete. I am using another hotel. i did know no more FC seats compared to years ago. Hotel first time was on Moorea. second on papeete. but i do have over the water. not sure of price. will be mostly under a tree. I do feel the food better in most places on Moorea. .but between jet lag and swimming i decided to survive in Papeete

You are being very helpful here. but i was talking about a flight RT in America for 2018 vs flying to Papeete. I am using another hotel. i did know no more FC seats compared to years ago. Hotel first time was on Moorea. second on papeete. but i do have over the water. not sure of price. will be mostly under a tree. I do feel the food better in most places on Moorea. .but between jet lag and swimming i decided to survive in Papeete

1. this is the tropics,

2. sitting under a tree in the heat, rain humidity is the best way I know to go insane and or get heat stroke....

3.I would not put a foot in the waters arounf Tahiti...and the bay...

4. There ain't no first class seats to Tahiti...business the best your going to get.

O offered me an upgrade to Business from LAX in Tahiti Nui for 700 pp one way

5. Given the choice I would always opt for a rt sea trip than included Tahiti

6. PPT, on ist best day is akiin to bakersfield CA on its worst day. Take the rt... because rt by air for 10 to 11 days is shortchanging the entire experience... you going to loose several days on each end. Tahiti is in the same time zone as Hawii