Day in Fort Lauderdale

tjmaher

Flying into FLL the morning before our cruise. We arrive at 9 am and will be staying at the Hyatt Place 17th Street. In doing this, we will have the whole day to enjoy FFL. To that end, any recommendations on what to see and what not to miss while in FFL? Also, any great happy hour recommendations as well as a dinner place (NOT an expensive one). Any tips and insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Duffy's in the parking lot of the Publix shopping center which is right behind Embassy Suites and next to the Hyatt Place....Great food !!!!

Checkout purchase options as the water taxi can be a bit expensive....it just might be cheaper to rent a car....Budget is just down the street on 17th an easy walk to pick up and return...we've done this many times and it works out great.

Checkout purchase options as the water taxi can be a bit expensive....it just might be cheaper to rent a car....Budget is just down the street on 17th an easy walk to pick up and return...we've done this many times and it works out great.[/b]

You can't see near as much with a car as you can with the water taxi. I've always told people Fort Lauderdale is a city to see by water and not by land.

The Water Shuttle is also an affordable alternative to the water taxi.

I'd just go the groupon deal and get the 241.

As far as good eats, what is your idea of not expensive? Fort Lauderdale is a bit on the spendy side.

LuLus is oceanfront and fun with pretty good food.

I also like:

Roccos Tacos (Mexican)

Shuck N Dive (New Orleans)

Taco Craft

Himmarshee Public House

Tarpon Bend

Lots of inexpensive dining on 17th Street.

OMG!!!! ! Thank you so much for this wealth of information. I would have NEVER thought of the water taxi and that is a great idea and I already brought my Groupon ticket! I also searched out the restaurants and that is exactly what I was looking for. I cannot thank you all enough!!!! Getting really excited - but the wait is LONG! October

You can't see near as much with a car as you can with the water taxi. I've always told people Fort Lauderdale is a city to see by water and not by land.

The Water Shuttle is also an affordable alternative to the water taxi.

I'd just go the groupon deal and get the 241.

As far as good eats, what is your idea of not expensive? Fort Lauderdale is a bit on the spendy side.

LuLus is oceanfront and fun with pretty good food.

I also like:

Roccos Tacos (Mexican)

Shuck N Dive (New Orleans)

Taco Craft

Himmarshee Public House

Tarpon Bend

Lots of inexpensive dining on 17th Street.

Since I had no idea when I posted about the groupon offer ...I was just offering an alternative...but using the coupon is a good deal otherwise it can be pricey ;) I would consider this but the coupon expires in 90 days and our group of ten won't be there for our pre-cruise until March.

Edited by Ashland

Since I had no idea when I posted about the groupon offer ...I was just offering an alternative...but using the coupon is a good deal otherwise it can be pricey ;) I would consider this but the coupon expires in 90 days and our group of ten won't be there for our pre-cruise until March.

Try the Water Shuttle. They are trying to build their business and are running deals. They currently have the free Water Trolley and the Carrie B or one of those tour ships.

http://www.water-shuttle.com/

Maybe they will still be running a deal in the spring. Worth a shot?

Try the Water Shuttle. They are trying to build their business and are running deals. They currently have the free Water Trolley and the Carrie B or one of those tour ships.

http://www.water-shuttle.com/

Maybe they will still be running a deal in the spring. Worth a shot?

What's the big difference between the taxi vs shuttle...is there narration more like a tour...that's what we would prefer. Will definitely keep looking for deals that apply to March.

Another transportation option during the day/early evening is the Sun Trolley. It costs $1/ride or $3 for a day pass and the terminus for the beach link (which connects to the Las Olas link) is right near Hyatt Place in front of the Publix in the Harbor Shops shopping center. http://www.suntrolley.com

What's the big difference between the taxi vs shuttle...is there narration more like a tour...that's what we would prefer. Will definitely keep looking for deals that apply to March.

The Water Taxi has at least a dozen boats and have been doing this for some time. The Water Shuttle just started a couple of months ago and only has three or four boats.

Both will be guided tours.

Since you have a group of ten, you may be able to get a group rate. I'd at least call and ask.

Here is a suggestion for your group of 10: Rent an Eco Boat (electric boat) for the day!

We have done this several times with friends and family that visit from out of town. Some boats accommodate up to 12 people. You can bring onboard your own food, booze, etc., tour the waterways, stop along the way at some of the waterfront restaurants, etc.. It really is a lot of fun.

They are super easy to maneuver, but you can also hire one of Eco Boats's staff to drive it, especially if one is not familiar with boating and boating safety, and not familiar with navigating through the waterways of Fort Lauderdale.

http://ecoboatsfl.com/

Of course the price is much more that a water taxi, but with 10 people, most everyone can chip in.

We recently had a party of 12 over this past Christmas weekend, and it was beautiful seeing all the homes along the river lit up with holiday lights. Hubby has a sailing captain's license, so he is always the designated driver.

Edited by brunello22

Here is a suggestion for your group of 10: Rent an Eco Boat (electric boat) for the day!

We have done this several times with friends and family that visit from out of town. Some boats accommodate up to 12 people. You can bring onboard your own food, booze, etc., tour the waterways, stop along the way at some of the waterfront restaurants, etc.. It really is a lot of fun.

They are super easy to maneuver, but you can also hire one of Eco Boats's staff to drive it, especially if one is not familiar with boating and boating safety, and not familiar with navigating through the waterways of Fort Lauderdale.

http://ecoboatsfl.com/

Of course the price is much more that a water taxi, but with 10 people, most everyone can chip in.

We recently had a party of 12 over this past Christmas weekend, and it was beautiful seeing all the homes along the river lit up with holiday lights. Hubby has a sailing captain's license, so he is always the designated driver.

What a great suggestion!

It is so beautiful on the water for the Holidays!

Flying into FLL the morning before our cruise. We arrive at 9 am and will be staying at the Hyatt Place 17th Street. In doing this, we will have the whole day to enjoy FFL. To that end, any recommendations on what to see and what not to miss while in FFL? Also, any great happy hour recommendations as well as a dinner place (NOT an expensive one). Any tips and insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

We did exactly as others have recommended to you and had a wonderful day. We were able to get the groupon deal for the water taxi and spent the whole day checking out the area at each of the stops. Really enjoyed the views on the water and narration some of the water taxi operators gave. We stayed at Embassy Suites (beside Hyatt) and walked to the water taxi stop in front of the Doubletree. The walk was a pretty good distance, but definitely doable if you don't have any mobility issues. At the end of the day, we stopped at the shopping area behind the hotels & picked up wine to take on the cruise the next day. My DH lived in Fort Lauderdale (20+ years ago) and he even enjoyed the day seeing some areas he hadn't been to.

We stayed at Embassy Suites (beside Hyatt) and walked to the water taxi stop in front of the Doubletree. The walk was a pretty good distance, but definitely doable if you don't have any mobility issues.

It is a 1 mile walk to the Hilton (not Doubletree) Marina and the closest water taxi stop(http://www.watertaxi.com). If mobility or the weather (heat) are issues, you can take the Sun Trolley and ask it to stop opposite the hotel. When you return from the water taxi (assuming it is before 6:30 pm when the Sun Trolley stops) just wave down the Sun Trolley on the north side (Hilton side) of 17th Street for a short ride back to the Harbor Shops shopping center near your hotel.

Does anyone know if there are any grocery / wine stores walking distance from any of the water taxi stops?

Just by looking at the water taxi's website (http://watertaxi.com/maps-stops/) page that describes the stops and the nearby businesses that offer discounts to water taxi riders (expand on More Info/Cruise & Save) I saw:

• Stop 7 Bahia Mar/Bahia Cabana: The Market Deli and Liquor (15% off)
  • Stop 12 Bokampers: The Grape Escape (10% off wine)

Are you specifically looking for wine or grocery products too? Wine is also sold in some drug stores in Fort Lauderdale. I'm sure some of the locals will chime in with other recommendations.

Edited by capriccio

Does anyone know if there are any grocery / wine stores walking distance from any of the water taxi stops?

Yes, they are close by almost all of the water taxi stops.

Where are you staying? I would just go to the closest Publix to there.

We are staying at the Riverside Hotel.... Mainly wanting to purchase a couple of bottles of wine.....

There is a CVS a block and a half down Federal Highway and Vinos right down Las Olas.

Probably the easiest Publix I can think of to get to would be to get off at the Doubltree Gallery One stop. It's kind of across the street from the hotel.