Is this a camera on my Cabin TV?

Bandman

On my recent Dream cruise there was an unusual accessory attached to the front of the cabin tv by Velcro. It looks like it might be a camera. I thought it might be the remote sensor but when i hid it from view I was still able to change the channel. Here are some shots. Any ideas?

ImageUploadedByForums1406336775.609047.jpg.f55abc36ce64cbc1695028c0ccd8aaa8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

ImageUploadedByForums1406336732.133485.jpg.260ab36e65b5d78fae2f64ff46f8599a.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1406336758.212333.jpg.021837b8ed11b054d2bb86c80fb24df0.jpg

Edited by Bandman

I am paranoid about this kind of stuff. When I travel I carry a tiny pad of post it notes with me. they are about 1/2 inch wide and 2 inches long. I just cover the suspicious spot AND the peep hole in the door. Yes you CAN see INSIDE thru them. If its a sensor it will still work fine.

They are so the remotes can be used and don't have to be pointed directly at the sensor to work. Our satellite box is the same way. They are called infrared repeaters. Google it and you can see that's exactly what that is. No worries.

Edited by firemanbobswife

It is an IR blaster/repeater. It's usually used so they can turn on all tvs and put them on the same channel. Most schools use these now so if there's an announcement all tvs turn on at once in every room.

It can also be attached to a repeater.

Edited by pbsteve

It is an IR blaster/repeater. It's usually used so they can turn on all tvs and put them on the same channel. Most schools use these now so if there's an announcement all tvs turn on at once in every room.

It can also be attached to a repeater.

Correct! But not as fun of an answer. :D

But why would that need to be Velcroed to the front of the tv?

Have to be somewhere.

It is basically a remote control without the buttons so they can turn all the TVs from one location in the event of an emergency. That kind of thing is commonly used in home automation systems.

But why would that need to be Velcroed to the front of the tv?

To keep it in the proper place when it's needed.

Think of it like this. Somewhere in the room is an IR receiver that picks up the signal from your remote. It travels through a control box that also has a line in from carnivals AV room. From the control box is one line to the part that's velcrod to the tv so your remote works and they can use it. It you rip off the piece, your remote still works because the signal goes right to the tv, but they're control of it is lost.

Edited by pbsteve

If plugs into the little LodgeNet or similar interactive hotel system box hidden behind the TV. It is what captures the input from the remote when you put in Folio #, check menu etc :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

If plugs into the little LodgeNet or similar interactive hotel system box hidden behind the TV. It is what captures the input from the remote when you put in Folio #, check menu etc :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

On my recent Dream cruise there was an unusual accessory attached to the front of the cabin tv by Velcro. It looks like it might be a camera. I thought it might be the remote sensor but when i hid it from view I was still able to change the channel. Here are some shots. Any ideas?

[ATTACH]320272[/ATTACH][ATTACH]320273[/ATTACH][ATTACH]320274[/ATTACH]

Sometimes I feel like someone is watching me.

Not this week, I've been busy with work. By the way, did you lose wieght? Seems like your buying more clothes than normal

I've been working out for two weeks. Can't even get an raised eyebrow in this house. I'm glad somebody noticed.

It is a camera!!!

1. How do you think your cabin steward knows when you leave your room, so they can come in to clean?

2. So they can snoop on you to see if you're smoking in your cabin or even on your balcony...

3. It's for the 20th season of "Big Brother at Sea...."

On my recent Dream cruise there was an unusual accessory attached to the front of the cabin tv by Velcro. It looks like it might be a camera.?

[ATTACH]320272[/ATTACH][ATTACH]320273[/ATTACH][ATTACH]320274[/ATTACH]

It is !! Its Big Brother keeping an eye on you making sure you don't get up to any frisky business ! lol.... Actually, probably some hidden camera set up by the room steward so he can sell the ameteur vids to other crew at the end of your cruise.. lol... Just kidding on both counts.. but I'm like you.. and I would be highly suspicious too ..lol

It is a camera!!!

1. How do you think your cabin steward knows when you leave your room, so they can come in to clean?

2. So they can snoop on you to see if you're smoking in your cabin or even on your balcony...

3. It's for the 20th season of "Big Brother at Sea...."

bahahahaha !! Love #2 .. gooood one.. ;):cool::eek::D