Help with flight upgrade decision

Dave4120

As indicated in previous posts, this will be our 2nd time ever flying, and, at age 60, that might seem hard to believe.

I have no idea why I was checking the price of this upgrade almost every half hour. Must be OCD. I wasn't never expecting it to drop from $697.50 per person to $376.50 per person, but I thought, let me just keep checking for the heck of it. Then, as I said, within 30 minutes of me checking, it dropped.

Many of you had told me to keep checking because you never know what they are going to do with pricing. Obviously, I'm thrilled I listened to that lesson all of you provided.

The only little wrinkle in the ointment, but still, the total price was great, is that the $128 per person I had paid for the Economy Comfort seats are not refundable, so, I lose out ont he $256.00...plus, I paid $100 total for the Mrs. and me to use a one day pass to the Delta Sky Miles Lounge at JFK during one of our stopovers, and, that is also not refundable, even though I can use it some other time if we ever get to JFK again, as it's good for one year.

So, our roundtrip in business/elite class is just $1,600 each roundtrip from Syracuse to Barcelona, with a stop over and plane change at JFK, and, from Barcelona back to JFK, with a stop over and plane change to Syracuse. Even if I add the $128 each for the EC seats I paid for that are not refundable, it still is only $1,728 each. A far cry from the almost $4,000 each per person of a few weeks ago, and the current $2,000 a person on the Delta sight right now, as the price went back up a bit.

We are very happy. If I have any other future questions, I know where to come.

plus, I paid $100 total for the Mrs. and me to use a one day pass to the Delta Sky Miles Lounge at JFK during one of our stopovers, and, that is also not refundable, even though I can use it some other time if we ever get to JFK again, as it's good for one year.

That pass should be good for any SkyClub, not just the one at JFK. So, if heading to Florida through ATL, you could use it there. Or SEA if doing Alaska.

Thanks very much to all that have responded. For most of you experienced flyers, having the opportunity to fly in this business class might be second nature, but for us, it's like hitting a jackpot and we are so excited.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

plus, I paid $100 total for the Mrs. and me to use a one day pass to the Delta Sky Miles Lounge at JFK during one of our stopovers, and, that is also not refundable,

Is there an advantage to buying this pass when you booked and purchased the air ticket? If there is no discount, I would have waited until the last possible moment.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone...just an update about some of these crazy flight prices. We upgraded our flight on Delta earlier this month from Economy to Business/Elite for just $376.50 each which was a great upgrade considering the upgrade at one time was almost $4,100 a person.

All of a sudden tonight, to upgrade to Business/Elite, it has dropped even further to a crazy $169.00 each. That seems almost impossible to believe. I know one of our two flights is fairly full, while the other flight is pretty empty. Maybe that's why.

In any event, if anyone has flight plans to Barcelona or Europe between the end of April and mid May, you might want to check out the Delta prices.

In any event, if anyone has flight plans to Barcelona or Europe between the end of April and mid May, you might want to check out the Delta prices.

What are your dates of travel?

I'm in NYC and am just curious to look see if other airlines are price matching business class at similar rates. I took a cursory look around those dates you mentioned and didn't see anything too tempting.

We leave on April 29 from Syracuse to Barcelona and change planes at JFK. Return on May 18 from Barcelona to Syracuse and change planes again at JFK.

Last night coach was $1,352 roundtrip each and Business/Elite was $1,573.

Dave

We leave on April 29 from Syracuse to Barcelona and change planes at JFK. Return on May 18 from Barcelona to Syracuse and change planes again at JFK.

Dave

Is that giving you seats in Business all the way or just the Syracuse to JFK portion?

Dave

$1600 roundtrip trip to Europe is a hell of a deal. I (or rather my business) usually pays $3k to $4k from Kansas City to Europe (usually Hamburg or Munich)

Edited by Zach1213

Is that giving you seats in Business all the way or just the Syracuse to JFK portion?

Other way round, there is no premium cabin on the SYR-JFK flights. Books into Z on the JFK-BCN-JFK flights though. $1521 all in, blinding.

Doesn't apply for itineraries ex-JFK though, and AA/BA aren't price matching so whatever... :p

Hello Alaskanb... From Syracuse to JFK there is no business/elite class, nor on the way back from JFK to Syracuse as we fly on one of those small Embraer planes.

However, from JFK to Barcelona and back from Barcelona to JFK, we are in Row 5 of the business/elite class section in the front of the A-330-300 (3L3) plane.

Very strange that as a round trip from Syracuse to Barcelona, changing planes at JFK, the price is $1,572.00 per person, and, a round trip from JFK to Barcelona with no Syracuse involved, it's over $7,000.

Hello Alaskanb... From Syracuse to JFK there is no business/elite class, nor on the way back from JFK to Syracuse as we fly on one of those small Embraer planes.

However, from JFK to Barcelona and back from Barcelona to JFK, we are in Row 5 of the business/elite class section in the front of the A-330-300 (3L3) plane.

Very strange that as a round trip from Syracuse to Barcelona, changing planes at JFK, the price is $1,572.00 per person, and, a round trip from JFK to Barcelona with no Syracuse involved, it's over $7,000.

Sometimes it works that way and that is why you need to try so many combinations. For my Feb. flights much much cheaper to fly to Tokyo and continue with less than 24 hours stop to Jakarta 7 hours away than to stop in or stopover in Tokyo -- in fact a little less than half the price. Hard to believe but that is the truth and no other factor because the flight to Tokyo was exactly the same. Quirky. Also add in the reward seat factor and the whole game changes again. The longer flight to Jakarta or Bali is 5K less miles than the shorter route no matter if non-stop (Dulles to Tokyo) or going the other direction through SFO to Tokyo or Taipei. Suspend logic and find a bargain.