Help! Will these documents allow my kid on board?

Bob Boag

Forgive me if this question is buried somewhere in the passport sticky thread.

My wife, 16yo, and I are booked on the April 4 seven-day Crown Princess California coastal cruise (LA, SF, Santa Barbara, San Diego, Ensenada, LA).

My wife and I have valid passports; my 16yo's is expired. I called Princess about a month ago and they told me that since it's a "closed loop" trip, my minor child could get by with just his birth certificate.

Then three days ago I found a reference on the Princess site indicating that while 15yo's and under need only the BC, 16yo's and older need the BC *and* a government photo ID.

I called Princess back and this time they said they couldn't ensure that his documents would suffice at embarkation.

He has his birth certificate, his expired passport (he was 10yo in the picture but it's recognizably the same kid as he current 16yo self), a public high school ID with his name and current picture, his SS card, and a California DMV learner's permit (no photo).

We don't have cancellation insurance. The DMV says there's no way he can get a California picture ID in 10 days. Ditto a new passport.

In anyone's experience will they flat-out decline his boarding? I'm kind of irritated that Princess can't give me an unequivocal answer - it sounds like it depends on the mood of the embarkation staff.

As long as he is accompanied by two adults, and it is a closed loop cruise, leaving from and returning to the same US port, he will be fine with an official birth certificate, and a photo ID such as his school ID, which is considered 'gov't issued' since he attends a public school. Leave the SS card at home. EM

Forgive me if this question is buried somewhere in the passport sticky thread.

My wife, 16yo, and I are booked on the April 4 seven-day Crown Princess California coastal cruise (LA, SF, Santa Barbara, San Diego, Ensenada, LA).

My wife and I have valid passports; my 16yo's is expired. I called Princess about a month ago and they told me that since it's a "closed loop" trip, my minor child could get by with just his birth certificate.

Then three days ago I found a reference on the Princess site indicating that while 15yo's and under need only the BC, 16yo's and older need the BC *and* a government photo ID.

I called Princess back and this time they said they couldn't ensure that his documents would suffice at embarkation.

He has his birth certificate, his expired passport (he was 10yo in the picture but it's recognizably the same kid as he current 16yo self), a public high school ID with his name and current picture, his SS card, and a California DMV learner's permit (no photo).

We don't have cancellation insurance. The DMV says there's no way he can get a California picture ID in 10 days. Ditto a new passport.

In anyone's experience will they flat-out decline his boarding? I'm kind of irritated that Princess can't give me an unequivocal answer - it sounds like it depends on the mood of the embarkation staff.

Don't get frustrated with the cruise line's staff, this is a CBP issue, not of the cruise line's making. I believe that the school id will suffice, but a call to the local CBP office would be the best place to get a correct answer.

So we have a question for the OP? Does your state's motor vehicle department issue a photo id upon request? Some states, realizing that teens have an ID problem, will issue an official photo id. The CBP (Customs and Border Protection) do specifically state on their own web site that

U.S. Citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country on the cruise with proof of citizenship, such as an original or copy of his or her birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born) and, if 16 or older, a government issued photo ID

Will a school ID suffce? I have no idea and suspect that even the cruise line is not sure. Certainly take the old Passport along as youcn try and make the case that it is a "government issued photo ID." Good luck

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

So we have a question for the OP? Does your state's motor vehicle department issue a photo id upon request? Some states, realizing that teens have an ID problem, will issue an official photo id. The CBP (Customs and Border Protection) do specifically state on their own web site that

U.S. Citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country on the cruise with proof of citizenship, such as an original or copy of his or her birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born) and, if 16 or older, a government issued photo ID

Will a school ID suffce? I have no idea and suspect that even the cruise line is not sure. Certainly take the old Passport along as youcn try and make the case that it is a "government issued photo ID." Good luck

Hank

OP has already stated they contacted the DMV to get a non-driver license state ID, but time frame prevents them getting one.

OP here - I called customs in DC and they said that the government is only concerned with re-entry into the US (and they will not refuse re-entry of a US citizen), and that embarkation is at the discretion of the cruise line. She thought that the consequence of inadequate documentation would likely be a delay in boarding while his ID is confirmed (fingerprints maybe). She recommended that I ask for a Princess supervisor and tell them what customs said.

Thanks y'all for the input. I welcome more.

OP here - I called customs in DC and they said that the government is only concerned with re-entry into the US (and they will not refuse re-entry of a US citizen), and that embarkation is at the discretion of the cruise line. She thought that the consequence of inadequate documentation would likely be a delay in boarding while his ID is confirmed (fingerprints maybe). She recommended that I ask for a Princess supervisor and tell them what customs said.

Thanks y'all for the input. I welcome more.

That's a somewhat disingenuous answer from CBP. It is true that CBP is only interested in re-entry into the US, but it is CBP's WHTI that allows foreign travel on anything other than a passport, not the cruise lines decision. The cruise line denies boarding based on the requirements of governmental agencies at the various ports of call, because if they transport someone to a country without proper documentation, they are responsible for fines or returning the person to country of origin. Most of the countries in the Western Hemisphere have agreed with the US to allow US (and Canadian) citizens to travel on closed loop cruises with only a birth certificate and photo ID.

Now, as to the documentation, I personally, would call CBP again, and ask whether "a school id, with photo, is compliant with WHTI documentation for a closed loop cruise". Use those specific words. The whole birth certificate/photo ID thing is that the birth certificate proves citizenship, and the photo ID proves the name on the birth certificate belongs to the person standing in front of the CBP agent. With children it is waived, but CBP has established that this is their (CBP's) requirement for 16 year olds.

To say that they would never deny re-entry to a US citizen is facetious, when that person is not presenting sufficient documentation to meet CBP's own requirements.

Edited by chengkp75

Why mess around with all this stuff. It is possible in Los Angeles (anyway) to go and stand in line and get a passport the same day.

Driver's license and/or ID is going to take around 10 weeks in California.

Not sure where OP is, but I sure wouldn't take a chance with documentation as there have been folks on this board that were denied boarding for not having proper documentation.

Why mess around with all this stuff. It is possible in Los Angeles (anyway) to go and stand in line and get a passport the same day.

Driver's license and/or ID is going to take around 10 weeks in California.

Not sure where OP is, but I sure wouldn't take a chance with documentation as there have been folks on this board that were denied boarding for not having proper documentation.

Well you were right. We made the first available appointment for emergency 1-day turnaround - 7:30AM at the Federal Building April 2nd. We depart on April 3rd.

• 2 weeks later...
Got our passport today; we sail tomorrow!

Hat tip to @agabbymama

You are very welcome Bob. And just think, the passport will be available for future cruises that may not be closed loop. Have an absolutely wonderful cruise!